Ethnicity & Nationality

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Drunken Idaho

Ethnicity & Nationality

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I just thought I'd inquire as to where everyone's ethnicity lies. What's your heritage? Where are you living now? I know that we don't necessarily need to know this about one another in order to discuss the things we discuss, but I thought I'd ask it out of curiosity. Let's try to avoid offensive comments, and let's talk about this on a more anthropological and historical level.

I suppose I'll start:

I'm Irish, English and Dutch. About as white as one could get, if it weren't for the tiny fraction of Native I supposedly have. And as some of you know, I live in Canada.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I was born in New Orleans and live near Atlanta now. I'm of Scottish, French and Austrian descent.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Scottish, Irish, English and supposedly a pinch of Shawnee. Born and raised in southern Ohio but living in Japan for the last 21 years and nine days. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm African. :wink:

I'm also a Canadian.

I'm half Ukrainian and half British - but my red hair shows that there must have been some one from the isle raping and pillaging over in Ukraine at some point in that side of my family’s past. I also have a pretty generous helping of freckles, obviously more or less depending on how much sun I get in a given year, and brown/green eyes.

This is what I put on the census a couple years back:

17. What were the ethnic or cultural origins of this person’s ancestors?
An ancestor is usually more distant than a grandparent. For example, Canadian, English, French, Chinese, Italian, German, Scottish, East Indian, Irish, Cree,
Mi’kmaq (Micmac), Métis, Inuit (Eskimo), Ukrainian, Dutch, Filipino, Polish, Portuguese, Jewish,
Greek, Jamaican, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Chilean, Salvadorean, Somali, etc.
Specify as many origins as applicable using capital letters.

I put African.

19. Is this person:
Mark more than one or specify, if applicable.
This information is collected to support programs that promote equal opportunity for everyone to
share in the social, cultural and economic life of Canada.
�� White
�� Chinese
�� South Asian (e.g., East Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, etc.)
�� Black
�� Filipino
�� Latin American
�� Southeast Asian (e.g., Vietnamese, Cambodian, Malaysian, Laotian, etc.)
�� Arab
�� West Asian (e.g., Iranian, Afghan, etc.)
�� Korean
�� Japanese
Other — Specify

Checked off white. Because man, I'm very white. except my freckles, those are very brown.

I hope I din't cofuse the census people. :roll: If they can't figure out what I meant then there's no hope for them anyways. :lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've started writing in "Humanoid" for race.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I've started writing in "Humanoid" for race.
Nice. :D I might switch to Homo Sapiens next time.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Im Scottish on both sides, and have Swiss from me mum and English from my dad. My middle name is a family name and its pure Sweedish, so there just may be some cross-strait rapin' in my family too. My feet glow in the dark during winter, Im so terminally white. I look like a snow cap next my little nut-brown wife. My dad is dark though, and has jet black hair, even into his 70's. There may be a bit of something else in there. I was born and raised in Washington, D.C., and live in Northern California now.

I used to volunteer as a staff attorney at a low-income clinic in a neighborhood in Sactown. Blacks used to come in there all the time and write "original," in the race block. I still have not figured out what the hell that meant. Does that mean that they think they are homo habilis?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote: I used to volunteer as a staff attorney at a low-income clinic in a neighborhood in Sactown. Blacks used to come in there all the time and write "original," in the race block. I still have not figured out what the hell that meant. Does that mean that they think they are homo habilis?
:laughing: That's great! I think just meant that they were from the original place of humanity and were probably the closest skin-colour wise to those early humans. I haven't done much looking into the original colour of humans, but black would make sense based on location.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I used to volunteer as a staff attorney at a low-income clinic in a neighborhood in Sactown. Blacks used to come in there all the time and write "original," in the race block. I still have not figured out what the hell that meant. Does that mean that they think they are homo habilis?
Not something I would brag about.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Omphalos wrote: I used to volunteer as a staff attorney at a low-income clinic in a neighborhood in Sactown. Blacks used to come in there all the time and write "original," in the race block. I still have not figured out what the hell that meant. Does that mean that they think they are homo habilis?
:laughing: That's great! I think just meant that they were from the original place of humanity and were probably the closest skin-colour wise to those early humans. I haven't done much looking into the original colour of humans, but black would make sense based on location.
I actually asked a few what that meant. Nobody would give me a straight answer, or even one that was not utter nonsense.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Yeah, and the light skinned Africans came from the shady parts. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Half Irish Australian - my ancestor was a "terrorist" who helped burn down a lord's house in the 1780s or so, who was sent to Australia as a convict.

Other half - hoity toity English.

I think this explains why I like to think I am classy, while holding a high contempt for class structures :D
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Race: Human.

Sex: Often.

Zing! Thanks, you've been a great audience! I'm here through Thursday!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

My maternal great-grandfather was a 7th generation (Jewish) Palestinian, one grandfather's family was from Russia, another from Italy, and my grandmother could trace her ancestry back to England, Ireland, and Germany.

My mother keeps saying that her grandfather was a 7th generation Israeli, but his family was indigenous to Palestine before the area became Israel. Whenever we get into this discussion, my sister and I argue that he was Palestinian, but my mom doesn't like to acknowledge this. :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
trang

Post by trang »

Slavic/Czech/Russian for father side, Syrian/Irish on Moms side.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'll leave it up in the air, just to annoy. That's more my defining characteristic anyway :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

French descent, been living in Quebec, Canada for all my life. :)
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Omphalos wrote:Im Scottish on both sides, and have Swiss from me mum and English from my dad. My middle name is a family name and its pure Sweedish, so there just may be some cross-strait rapin' in my family too. My feet glow in the dark during winter, Im so terminally white. I look like a snow cap next my little nut-brown wife. My dad is dark though, and has jet black hair, even into his 70's. There may be a bit of something else in there. I was born and raised in Washington, D.C., and live in Northern California now.

I used to volunteer as a staff attorney at a low-income clinic in a neighborhood in Sactown. Blacks used to come in there all the time and write "original," in the race block. I still have not figured out what the hell that meant. Does that mean that they think they are homo habilis?
American-Australian

So, Omphalos American Scottish Swiss, huh! :wink: :wink:
Last edited by Mr. Teg on 15 Oct 2008 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:I'll leave it up in the air, just to annoy. That's more my defining characteristic anyway :)
^^^ Not of this world! ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Im Scottish on both sides, and have Swiss from me mum and English from my dad. My middle name is a family name and its pure Sweedish, so there just may be some cross-strait rapin' in my family too. My feet glow in the dark during winter, Im so terminally white. I look like a snow cap next my little nut-brown wife. My dad is dark though, and has jet black hair, even into his 70's. There may be a bit of something else in there. I was born and raised in Washington, D.C., and live in Northern California now.

So, American Scottish Swiss, huh! :wink: :wink:
Well, Byron already called you the ass-wipe, so c'mere and do your job, swabby! I just ate at Atalbertos and could use you. :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Mr. Teg wrote:So, American Scottish Swiss, huh! :wink: :wink:
Omphalos wrote:Well, Byron already called you the ass-wipe... :wink:
First you're quoting Kevin on Chig's blog, now you're quoting Byron.
What really happened at the book signing that wasn't shown on the tape? :wink:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

Let's see, born and raised in Rapid City, South Dakota. My ethnicities include: German, Norwegian, Irish and Scottish (I'm pretty sure I have both, atleast one due to my distinctive hair color). I can't remember the rest, I think there's a few more. I think I have a little French-Canadien Indian in me, even though I still don't know what that is...
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mr. Teg wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:So, American Scottish Swiss, huh! :wink: :wink:
Omphalos wrote:Well, Byron already called you the ass-wipe... :wink:
First you're quoting Kevin on Chig's blog, now you're quoting Byron.
What really happened at the book signing that wasn't shown on the tape? :wink:
Jealous? :oops:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Dad's side Scottish, German, and Irish.

Mum's side English, English, with some funky scandinavian.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Robspierre wrote:some funky scandinavian
I think I met him when I was in Malmö. :shock: Name is Anders or something, right?

:P