Scotch / Spirits thread!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SimonH

Scotch / Spirits thread!

Post by SimonH »

Saw the beer thread and thought that the other half of my drinking tastes was under-represented.

What spirits do you drink? If scotch, which scotch?

For me it is all about single malt scotch if I have been out of the country recently (duty free prices), specifically:

1. Talisker - easily my favourite so far
2. Laphroaig, Glenmorangie - had both of these, but can't remember which was best

then blends
3. Dimple
4. Chivas
5. J&B - just bought some today - pretty light on, but easy to drink

Other drinks that I cannot live without:

5. Tequila. always gets people dancing
6. Vodka. goes with everything

How about yourselves?
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Talisker is nice, but I've been drinking more towards Jura and Woodland Reserve these days, which go down very well.

I'm also rather partial to Gin, Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks going down a particular treat.

Any preference on your vodka?
I am a mortal god.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Don't know those scotches. I'm flying over to the big US of A in two weeks so I'll be able to get some duty free. I'll check em out.

I'm big on the Bombay Saphire in a small glass with tonic and a slice of lemon. Again, I don't know Hendricks. Will look out for it.

No preference with the Vodka. I know that I don't mind Stoli, but don't really have a good sense of taste for vodka. Yourself?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I like whiskey but it doesn't like me. I like Maker's Mark and Crown Royal but can usually only afford Jim Beam. I can't stand the charcoal taste of Jack Daniels.

Scotch is too expensive for me, and I think I'd rather have something with a little more kick. I want to know I'm drinking liquor.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

SimonH wrote:Don't know those scotches. I'm flying over to the big US of A in two weeks so I'll be able to get some duty free. I'll check em out.

I'm big on the Bombay Saphire in a small glass with tonic and a slice of lemon. Again, I don't know Hendricks. Will look out for it.

No preference with the Vodka. I know that I don't mind Stoli, but don't really have a good sense of taste for vodka. Yourself?
Hendricks is a little on the pricier side of gin, but is well worth the tasting!

As for vodka, i never was much of a Stoli fan, and i despise Absolut. Smirnoff Norsk is a very nice vodka, especially when chilled, but i'm liking bison grass vodka at the moment, seems to be gaining popularity over here (may have something to do with the Poles ;) )

Get your hands on some Jura and you'll never look back, it only gets better!

Side note: does this make me international freak by drinking my gin (and pretty much anything else) neat?
I am a mortal god.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I go through Vodka phases. I think my favorite is Tanqueray Sterling Vodka... with a little Roses Lime Juice.

Mmmm.... vodka...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I really like the Orcadian stuff; Scapa Flow and Highland Park, but my favorite whisky of all time is an Islay called Glen Rothes. Though the newer stuff they are producing is crap, the 1996 is absolutely the best scotch I have ever had. We cleaned out the San Francisco distributer once we had some in our local pub, and alas, its gone for good excpet for some estate bottlings that are very good, but of course lack consistency. Caol Ila is another fine Islay.

Im not a fan at all of blends but vatted malts I do love. Sheep Dip for example is a very fine vatted malt.

Also, it is my understanding that the Campbeltown region is finally producing again. I loved just about everything that ever came out of there. I had thought that Sir Paul McCartney owned the entire fucking Mull of Kintyre, so maybe he opened them back up.

I also, of course, like the Speyside stuff. Ive been to Scotland God knows how many times and Ive forgotten how many trips down the whisky highway Ive done. There are TONS of distillers up there.

Ive never been much into lowlands stuff. Too light.

Ive had a few from New Zealand before. Some of those are damn good. Anyone ever had the Japanese stuff? Its not as bad as you would think, but its really weird because once its off the tongue, its completely gone for good. No finish whatsoever.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Secher_Nbiw wrote:Get your hands on some Jura and you'll never look back, it only gets better!
I'm a die-hard beer fan... but I can agree with that :D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sole Man

on liqour

Post by Sole Man »

Despite the fact I've never had a drink of alcohol in my sentient life, Johhny Walker black.
Simon

Re: on liqour

Post by Simon »

Sole Man wrote:Despite the fact I've never had a drink of alcohol in my sentient life, Johhny Walker black.
Wait for it..... :)
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

I'm quite fond of beerenburg. I also like wodka, preferably Smirnoff or a regional brand called Hooghoudt. Most other strong liquors don't agree with me :?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Laphroaig 15
Oban 14
McAllen 12
Glenfiddich 15 Solera
Lammerlaw 10
Longmorn 15

Patron Silver Tequila

Plymouth Gin

Meyers Rum

Thor's Hammer Vodka

Rob
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

Omphalos wrote: Im not a fan at all of blends but vatted malts I do love. Sheep Dip for example is a very fine vatted malt.
I don't even know what this means... ah wiki entry ... sounds good.
Omphalos wrote: Ive had a few from New Zealand before. Some of those are damn good. Anyone ever had the Japanese stuff? Its not as bad as you would think, but its really weird because once its off the tongue, its completely gone for good. No finish whatsoever.
I didn't know NZ did scotch. Tasmania has a distillery. You really know you are drinking something when you put theirs down and it costs a bomb too.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Love the smokey flavor of Lagavulin.

Talisker's not bad, too, though. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Jack Daniels for whiskey.

Bacardi for rhum, pale and 1873.

Gin, vodka (a few times only).

I tried to find a good Scotch, tasted a few, but was left wanting. Any suggestion from fellow Canadians ? :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Tonight is Wild Turkey 101 and Heineken boilermakers... It may get crazy.
~Pink Snowman
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Omphalos wrote:I really like the Orcadian stuff; Scapa Flow and Highland Park, but my favorite whisky of all time is an Islay called Glen Rothes. Though the newer stuff they are producing is crap, the 1996 is absolutely the best scotch I have ever had. We cleaned out the San Francisco distributer once we had some in our local pub, and alas, its gone for good excpet for some estate bottlings that are very good, but of course lack consistency. Caol Ila is another fine Islay.
Good Sir I applaud your taste!

If your going for rum, there's something wrong if you like bicardi, it's not proper rum it's a disgrace! ;) Now, Captain Morgan Spiced, there's a rum, though it's still a toss up between that and Lambs Navy.
I am a mortal god.
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Secher_Nbiw wrote:Get your hands on some Jura and you'll never look back, it only gets better!
I'm a die-hard beer fan... but I can agree with that :D
LOL! I'm usually an ale/cyder man myself (hence i love nottingham so much), but i sometimes drift if i see a good bottle of something behind the bar (which seems to be every other week, the bar round the corner from me has an excellent stock of whiskey and spirits).
I am a mortal god.
ARCH

Post by ARCH »

Thank God for this thread.
Any more kinds of vodka you have to recommend.

I like vodka.I usualy drink the cheapest one i can get my hands on(vodka clear).
Smirnoff is okay too.
When my femme days come i like to swallow obscene amounts of
croatian home made rum(they sell it bottles,yay!!)

Anyway not to be a prick(figuratively speaking) but i've come to a major conclusion in my life:
rakija is the only true liquor on this world, all the rest are sissy drinks.

besides the only way to differentiate what you're drinking(alcohol) is how fast your nerve bridges go up and leave you vegetating.

rakija is the queen.fastest way to heaven beside absinth
(too bad rakija doesn't have the same pretty blue-green color but hey they say water is life and rakija is transparent like water so life seen through a bottle of rakija is.....
:lol: pretty clear to me)

Cheers to my grandfather cause i'm realy sweet on his 89% alcohol percentage rakija (he usualy makes it from plum-šljivovica, or grapes-loza)
he used watermellons once but it came out a sissy drink( i mean who wants to sit and drink two bottles of something and still walkstraight..)

don't get me wrong i don't drink often but when i do, i'm not excatly tunned into the 'gin tasted like meadows in Italy while the sulfur in four roses reminds me of my mother' cause it all tastes the same for me(i have no appreciation for alcohol unless it's getting to me real fast and i'm not that easy to shake)
" Nature beauteous form
Contains a lovely essence
Called by some- decay
By this lovely presence
New life finds its way.
Tears shed silently
Are but water of soul
They bring new life
To the pain of being--
A separation from that seeing
Which death makes whole."
-klAckAlicA-