OSC, Ender In Exile??? Anyone heard about this?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

OSC, Ender In Exile??? Anyone heard about this?

Post by trang »

I was on Amazon Smashing and grabing in the POD reviews and discussions and saw this at the bottom of my reccomended list???

Orson Scott Card, Ender in Exile, the Direct Sequel to ENDER's Game?

I have three questions:

1. WTF!!!!
2. Is this a KJAars production in disguise???
3. WHY???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076530 ... d_i=507846

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

More info:

Orson Scott Card returns to his best-selling series with a new Ender novel.

At the close of Ender's Game, Andrew Wiggin - called Ender by everyone - is told that he can no longer live on Earth, and he realizes that this is the truth. He has become far more than just a boy who won a game: he is the Savior of Earth, a hero, a military genius whose allegiance is sought by every nation of the newly shattered Earth Hegemony. He is offered the choice of living in isolation on Eros, at one of the Hegemony's training facilities, but instead the twelve-year-old chooses to leave his home world and begin the long relativistic journey out to the colonies. With him went his sister Valentine, and the core of the artificial intelligence that would become Jane.

The story of those years has never been told. until now.

I loved Ender's game and Speaker of the dead but couldn't finish Xenocide and therefore didn't bother reading the others. I think I will skip this one too.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Card has been jumping around, filling in the gaps for years with this series. He has already done this era once with a novella about Jane. I will read this one.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Meh...

I can't say I cared for Ender's Game...
Sole Man

on Ender's Game

Post by Sole Man »

I loved ENDER'S GAME (I rank it second greatest Sci-fi novel ever written) I didn't read any of the sequels though.

So...does this actually take place during the first book, or during the time between GAME and SPEAKER?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: on Ender's Game

Post by Omphalos »

Sole Man wrote:I loved ENDER'S GAME (I rank it second greatest Sci-fi novel ever written) I didn't read any of the sequels though.

So...does this actually take place during the first book, or during the time between GAME and SPEAKER?
sounds like it takes place right after he and valentine leave earth on the ship.

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

I originally ran across Enders game when I was a Corporal in the Marine Corps when I was looking over the reading lists for each rank. Enders game was on the Colonol's list and showed it was a SCi-Fi title, so I was immediatly intrigued.

It was roughly 1988 and I found the book a stand out from anything I had read in the sci-fi genre. I followed the series as thru to Xenocide, but got lost in something else.

I revisit the three books periodically but never felt it needed any addition.

I was shocked when I saw the listing for the next book, might turn out to be ok, Not sure. I havent really gone deeper into anything else the OSC has written. He is above par as a writer for sure, but seems so spread hisself a bit thin. I understand he is very prolific, his website is pretty choke full of stuff he writes about, but again never went much deeper with him as author.

At least its the original author expanding the series and not hacks living off its success.

I guess have to wait and see.

Be well,
trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
if you like OSC, read his homecoming series. It's an incredible universe 40M years in the future. I can't believe it's not more popular
I like the Homecoming series as well. I read all of them front to back within a few weeks a couple of years ago. Should give them a second run after I have finished my collection of Peter F. Hamilton ...
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The Ender series started moo-ing after the first book. But at least it's the original author who is milking it, not his semi-literate offspring and some hack mercenary.

Personally, I've chosen to boycott Card for many years now. His politics and his beliefs are just a bit too ... uh, strong ... for me. I can't help thinking that he would have been right at home in Munich, circa 1933.

I will admit that I thought the first book was pretty damn strong. But I seem to have blocked most of it out, probably due to my personal distaste for the author. YMMV, and probably does.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sole Man

Post by Sole Man »

Baraka Bryan wrote: sole, you gotta read speaker for the dead. I find it even better than ender's game. It's much more sci-fi.
Son, the only thing I have to do is stay red and die.

- Mat Hullam as Sarge, Red vs. Blue.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

TheDukester wrote:Personally, I've chosen to boycott Card for many years now. His politics and his beliefs are just a bit too ... uh, strong ... for me. I can't help thinking that he would have been right at home in Munich, circa 1933.

I will admit that I thought the first book was pretty damn strong. But I seem to have blocked most of it out, probably due to my personal distaste for the author. YMMV, and probably does.
Wow...nice to hear someone else say that for a change.

I read him when he was starting out (I assume), back when he was publishing short stories in Omni (OK, who remembers Omni magazine? :) )

I kinda lost track of him for a few years and then never picked him up again. By the time I heard of the Ender series, I was also hearing about the...um...Mormon Fascism?

I liked him once. I'm not interested now.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I read him when he was starting out (I assume), back when he was publishing short stories in Omni (OK, who remembers Omni magazine? :) )
Bob Guccione. Excellent SF in that magazine.

I actually kind of like Card's out there SF, like The Folk of the Fringe. There is one other post-apocalyptic Mormorn book too, and I liked that one as well.

But if you are talking about his opinions, I could not care less. He's entitled to his opinion, just as I am to mine. I can refute him anytime I like, but I wont stop reading his books for that. Hell, I havent even stopped reading KJA's books, and he's a lyiing sack of shit. Which is worse?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:Which is worse?
Card.

At least KJA doesn't appear to have any religious beliefs. ($cientology isn't a religion and doesn't count. Just like Mormonism isn't Christian.) Other than belief in himself, I mean.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Which is worse?
Card.

At least KJA doesn't appear to have any religious beliefs. ($cientology isn't a religion and doesn't count. Just like Mormonism isn't Christian.) Other than belief in himself, I mean.
I thought you Jews were accommodating of other religions? :P

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:(OK, who remembers Omni magazine? :) )
Awww, hells yeah!

Heard of it? I have a pretty frickin' nice collection!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I thought you Jews were accommodating of other religions? :P
Ah, but I am a Jewish Saint.

We POOP on everyone. :twisted:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:I thought you Jews were accommodating of other religions? :P
Ah, but I am a Jewish Saint.

We POOP on everyone. :twisted:
so do you think that Card is worse than KJA because he is a religioius nutter? Really? What do you think of the Ender books? Personally I love them, and can see past the Mormon conservative crap he spews elsewhere, because he puts something of quality into the world. KJA has yet to do that. He's more concerned with page count and meeting deadlines than he is with writing something well. That to me is the greater crime. After all, its the one that can easily be corrected. Card, you would need electroshock therapy.

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

There's a number of ways to look at this:

Better writer: Card, clearly. Not even close. Even those of us that can't stand him will admit that he can put sentences together.

More offensive: Card again. Fucking holier-than-thou nutcase.

Bigger dickhead: KJA. Card is easily ignored (I've been doing it for years), and at least makes his money by writing about his own creations. KJA, on the other hand, has never had an original thought in his life, is a literary hack who leeches onto other creations and drains them of all that is good and decent, and has spent the last 10 years shitting all over a great literary legacy. This makes him an infected asshole.

Odds of either loony-tune receiving a single dime from TheDukester: Nil. I guess this last one is a more personal category ... :)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

maybe its a good thing i stopped after Speaker. I HATE EXTREMISTS!

I'm a fanatic moderate.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Poop.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Me hating OSC's opinions isn't enough to stop me from reading his books, unless his opinions crop up in them too much and drive me nuts while reading. I think Heinlein is full of shit (though I do agree with certain things he says) but I will still read his books, I always think it's important to get info from both sides of any particular stance.
Ampoliros wrote:maybe its a good thing i stopped after Speaker. I HATE EXTREMISTS!

I'm a fanatic moderate.
That made me laugh, I always call my little brother an extremist Atheist, he's even worse than I am! He is 100% convinced that anyone who believes in a creator is certifiably mentally handicapped/ill. It's pretty funny when he does (rarely) talk about it; normally he doesn't bring it up because he considers discussing it more pointless than discussing whether we're in the matrix. :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I always called my parents "devout athiests."

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:I always called my parents "devout athiests."
That's a good one too. Mine are pretty solidly agnostic, but I wouldn't call them very "extreme" in theiir agnosticism.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Y'all know about the dislexic agnostics don't you?

They're not sure if there is a dog.

:P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Freakzilla wrote:Y'all know about the dislexic agnostics don't you?

They're not sure if there is a dog.

:Razz:
What did the Zen Buddhist say to the Hot Dog Vendor?

"Make me one with everything."

I'm deist, I guess. I believe in God, its Christians I have trouble believing in.
I refuse to believe in a god that creates an infinite universe and one door to paradise. That kind of god is an asshole or an idiot and isn't deserving of worship. People who believe in that kind of god are usually more interested in persecution rather than the actual teachings of Jesus. They are guilty of blasphemy in the form of putting human limits on God. (They are also the same people who would have been yelling Free Barabus to Pilate) I'm pretty sure some poor rice farmer in SE Asia who lives his life as a good person is not going to be denied entry into paradise just because he's never been to church.

Funny thing is, if there is an afterlife, i think i might visit Heaven, but I'm not sure I'd stay there. If it really exists the afterlife has to be one kick-ass place. Limbo, Purgatory, Hell, etc etc etc. Well I might skip Hell....That place has got to be fucked up.

I'll be pretty disappointed if death is the end...wait, no, I guess I won't.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus