I Ching, book of changes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Serkanner
Administrator

I Ching, book of changes

Post by Serkanner »

A very long time ago I bought a Dutch translation of the book of changes. I bought it after reading "The man in the high castle" by Philip K Dick.

I am wondering whether any of you have ever asked the book of changes for advice and how did you interpret the outcome of the oracle.

A second question is a bit more practical. On the cover of the book this symbol is printed:

My questions is: does anybody know what this symbol stands for. I have always assumed it means "change" but it is doubtful I was right about that. Any info about this is most welcome.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Actually, it looks more like a cylon, toaster variety.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Normal response from Omph, but Bryan's reveals issues. :P

It's a version of the character called yi (in Pinyin), what put the "I" in "I Ching", in the older romanization. It means a lot of things, but yeah, it's the "Change" part of the title. (Ching, or Jing in Pinyin, means "classic" or "scripture" or even "Sutra".) I'm not sure which of the many (seemingly infinite) character styles it's done in. Looks a bit like the very old bone and shell oracle style, but that cum grano salis.

I messed around with it in my younger, more experimental days, usually using the three-coin method, but I also got a hold of some yarrow sticks and learned the much more complicated divination method using them. (Have completely forgotten it by now, unfortunately.)

The PKD novel is one of my favorites ever, btw. I love the way he incorporated the Asian elements. (The Eki Kyou, as it is known in Japanese, plays a much smaller role in real Japanese society than in that of Dick's alternate universe, of course. ;) )

I think you might easily make a connection with Dune prescience. The universe is a vast, interconnected unfolding, all of its elements affecting and being affected by every other. The coins as thrown and how they land is just one part of that Whole (or hole? :P ), the Macrocosm in micro.

Pure bollocks, of course, but fun to play around with, anyway.

The method using the yarrow lends itself to a more contemplative interpretation. The counting of the sticks, and shuffling of them from one pile to another, perhaps acts to still the conscious (worrying) mind and to allow the subconscious to grind on things a while. Looking up the text for whatever hexagram emerges is a just a more focused variation on the ole "open any book at random and look for an answer to your question" thang.

This is, at least, the understanding of the thing which nearly a half century has brought me to. It works for me. Your mileage may vary. :wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I used to have a magic 8 ball but I broke it. :cry:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I used to read tarot cards.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

SandChigger wrote:Normal response from Omph, but Bryan's reveals issues. :P

It's a version of the character called yi (in Pinyin), what put the "I" in "I Ching", in the older romanization. It means a lot of things, but yeah, it's the "Change" part of the title. (Ching, or Jing in Pinyin, means "classic" or "scripture" or even "Sutra".) I'm not sure which of the many (seemingly infinite) character styles it's done in. Looks a bit like the very old bone and shell oracle style, but that cum grano salis.

I messed around with it in my younger, more experimental days, usually using the three-coin method, but I also got a hold of some yarrow sticks and learned the much more complicated divination method using them. (Have completely forgotten it by now, unfortunately.)

The PKD novel is one of my favorites ever, btw. I love the way he incorporated the Asian elements. (The Eki Kyou, as it is known in Japanese, plays a much smaller role in real Japanese society than in that of Dick's alternate universe, of course. ;) )

I think you might easily make a connection with Dune prescience. The universe is a vast, interconnected unfolding, all of its elements affecting and being affected by every other. The coins as thrown and how they land is just one part of that Whole (or hole? :P ), the Macrocosm in micro.

Pure bollocks, of course, but fun to play around with, anyway.

The method using the yarrow lends itself to a more contemplative interpretation. The counting of the sticks, and shuffling of them from one pile to another, perhaps acts to still the conscious (worrying) mind and to allow the subconscious to grind on things a while. Looking up the text for whatever hexagram emerges is a just a more focused variation on the ole "open any book at random and look for an answer to your question" thang.

This is, at least, the understanding of the thing which nearly a half century has brought me to. It works for me. Your mileage may vary. :wink:
Thank you VERY much for your explanation. I am baffled by the sheer un-ending sea of knowledge you seem to have.

I have tried to experiment a bit with the oracle of I Ching but because I didn't have authentic Chines coins my mind refused to acknowledge the outcomes of the oracle.

I have to find some real coins one of these days. The book itself contains a very decent introduction written by Jung. That introduction alone is worth having the book.

The man in the high castle is a book I read when I was in my teens and made a strong impression on my in-mature mind. Unfortunately I haven't managed to lay my hands on an English copy yet, but I am keeping my eyes open when I visit the local second-hand book stores. One day I will find one :)
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One is pleased to be of service. When one may. :D
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Normal response from Omph,
Hey! :x

It could have been a Nunavut Cylon! :D

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hence the toaster bit, to help it keep warm?

Bah! I'll hear NONE-of-it! :twisted:

:P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Wah-Wah-Waaaaaaaaaaa.......

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Bah! I'll hear NONE-of-it! :twisted:

That's my line, tick! :) :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I wondered when you were going to notice! :P
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm always watching my chigga.

*twilight zone music plays*

Sadly, I don't know much about the I Ching. I know a quote about it in a Michael Mann film, but that's about it

"Now we have to make the best of it. Improvise. Adapt to the environment. Darwin. "Shit happens." The I Ching...whatever man. We gotta roll with it."

:)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The active (wind) moves about the solid (earth), forming the condition for Rapid Change (run to the potty).

It's amazing how accurate it can be. :shock: Uph...coffee just activated those beans I had last night...GOTTA RUN!!!!