Beer filters question

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Beer filters question

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I have a question for you beer brewers which you may or may not have an answer for. Do you know if the filters used by beer companies (large or small) would ever contain animal hair or would they be synthetic? I'm having trouble finding info on this via my usual digging, and would appreciate any insight you may have into whether or not this is the case.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

How about Baleen whale teeth? Any info about that? :P

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:How about Baleen whale teeth? Any info about that? :P
:lol: Also a valid and important question. I'd forgotten Baleen teeth.
A Thing of Eternity

Never mind I found the info I needed (well, my girl found it for me).
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Aye. And the great whales, they be not feesh, eether! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Filters are for pussies. ;)

I don't know any home brewers who actually filter their beer. "Filtering"
usually results from conditioning and racking (moving from one container to
another).
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

In Germany I always went for the unfiltered beer. When servng, they would pour two thirds of the half-liter bottle into a glass, then lie the bottle on the bar and roll it back and forth real fast to get all the sediment off the bottom, then pour that on top. It came out like a foamy sludge.

Mmmmmm.... das gut bier!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:Aye. And the great whales, they be not feesh, eether! :lol:
:x
Spicelon wrote:Filters are for pussies. ;)

I don't know any home brewers who actually filter their beer. "Filtering"
usually results from conditioning and racking (moving from one container to
another).
Indeed. I prefer the yeast left in myself, there's a triple fermented beer called La Fin Du Monde which kicks a fair amount of ass from Quebec.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: :x
Aye. It be dee salaMANdars you preefers. I reemembers, aye I do.

:P
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote: :x
Aye. It be dee salaMANdars you preefers. I reemembers, aye I do.

:P
:wink:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

La Fin Du Monde You buyin' the next round?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Ampoliros wrote:La Fin Du Monde You buyin' the next round?
You are familiar?
Tleilax Master B

Re: Beer filters question

Post by Tleilax Master B »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have a question for you beer brewers which you may or may not have an answer for. Do you know if the filters used by beer companies (large or small) would ever contain animal hair or would they be synthetic? I'm having trouble finding info on this via my usual digging, and would appreciate any insight you may have into whether or not this is the case.
No sir, never heard of filtering through animal hair. It synthetic pads used in plates and the pads are usually .35 microns, if that helps.
A Thing of Eternity

Tleilax Master B wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I have a question for you beer brewers which you may or may not have an answer for. Do you know if the filters used by beer companies (large or small) would ever contain animal hair or would they be synthetic? I'm having trouble finding info on this via my usual digging, and would appreciate any insight you may have into whether or not this is the case.
No sir, never heard of filtering through animal hair. It synthetic pads used in plates and the pads are usually .35 microns, if that helps.
Thanks Masta B. I was trying to figure out whether all beer was vegan (for my girl) or just some of it. I ended up finding out that many beers use either something derived from fish or eggs to clearify/fine their product (wine and liquor too) and found a website that keeps track of what brands are vegan and which aren't.
Tleilax Master B

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Thanks Masta B. I was trying to figure out whether all beer was vegan (for my girl) or just some of it. I ended up finding out that many beers use either something derived from fish or eggs to clearify/fine their product (wine and liquor too) and found a website that keeps track of what brands are vegan and which aren't.
Isinglass. Its derived from Beluga sturgeion swimbladders and its a fining a lot of homebrewers use, especially those that keg. Haven't heard of the eggs stuff, might be more of wine thing. I generally use Irish Moss at the end of a boil which works quite well.

Yeah, if she is vegan, but want to stay away from the fish bladders :D
A Thing of Eternity

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Isinglass. Its derived from Beluga sturgeion swimbladders and its a fining a lot of homebrewers use, especially those that keg. Haven't heard of the eggs stuff, might be more of wine thing. I generally use Irish Moss at the end of a boil which works quite well.

I think I may have remembered the eggs thing wrong :oops: You use actual moss as a fining agent?

Turns out all our favorite brands don't use the isinglass anyways, must be a characteristic of cheaper breweries or something.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

For some reason I thought this thread was gonna be about beer goggles.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Mandy wrote:For some reason I thought this thread was gonna be about beer goggles.
Ah, college ... how I miss it sometimes. :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Tleilax Master B

Tleilax Master B wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:

I think I may have remembered the eggs thing wrong :oops: You use actual moss as a fining agent?

Turns out all our favorite brands don't use the isinglass anyways, must be a characteristic of cheaper breweries or something.
Its called "irish moss" and you just add a teaspoon at the end of the boil. I think it has an electrical charge that attracts the proteins ("trub") and bonds them to the "irish moss" which you then strain out. It helps clear the beer in the wort stage, doesn't add any flavor. I think its actually a type of seaweed.
A Thing of Eternity

Neat.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I saw something with "beer" in the title among the new posts and wondered if Byron had come by to post. :lol:

(Actually, he posted something over on DumbNovels a while back about having to give up his beer for medical reasons. So he won't be posting here again, I figure. ;) )