Dragon*Con!!!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

trang

Re: Dragon*Con!!!

Post by trang »

interesting to say the least, would devour cut chapters from GEoD!!!

NO BERG FOR DUNE 2010? A delay on the film? A realization he was the wrong choice? Project canceled? very curious about that one.

Look forward to audio, and thanks for going and sharing Freak!!!
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

You da man, Freak! :dance:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:interesting to say the least, would devour cut chapters from GEoD!!!

NO BERG FOR DUNE 2010? A delay on the film? A realization he was the wrong choice? Project canceled? very curious about that one.

They said Berg signed up to do two other movies so he won't be available. Some one in the crowed yelled, "No Micheal Bay!"

:lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nebiros wrote:So they called The Road to Dune the 'cream of the crop' of Frank Herbert's notes. But they left out several deleted or cut out chapters. And from God Emperor of all novels! Those would have been great to read.

Damn! And instead they filled the rest of the book with their short stories! And added one in the later edition (sea child).
I cornered Byron and begged him to preserve the notes and outline for posterity. He said they will probably go to Fullerton or Fresno?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:
trang wrote:interesting to say the least, would devour cut chapters from GEoD!!!

They said Berg signed up to do two other movies so he won't be available. Some one in the crowed yelled, "No Micheal Bay!"

:lol: I hope that was an applause line.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Freakzilla wrote:I cornered Byron and begged him to preserve the notes and outline for posterity. He said they will probably go to Fullerton or Fresno?
There is, may be or could have been a God. Thanks Freakzilla that's momentous news.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I cornered Byron and begged him to preserve the notes and outline for posterity. He said they will probably go to Fullerton or Fresno?
There is, may be or could have been a God. Thanks Freakzilla that's momentous news.
If the panel had lasted longer (there were a lot of questions asked), I was going to point out to KJA that he told me last year all the interesting stuff from the notes was put into RtD... Lost chapters from GEoD are not interesting? WTF?

So I had to stick around and plea for sanity.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

:lol: I hope that was an applause line.
It got a good laugh. :)
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:
Peter Berg will NOT be directing Dune (2010).
Very interesting. Think he ducked out after reading Zetumer's script, not wanting to face the Talifans after screwing up Dune? I hope that's not the case. Maybe they'll find someone with a more impressive body of work than Berg. Neil Blomkampf, perhaps? I could see Sharlto Copley as Kynes.
Freakzilla wrote: There are cut chapters of GEoD in "The Notes"!
*Drool*

Would love to see those, if there's any truth to it.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

did you tell Merritt who you were ?

did he seem at all interested in meeting you ?

is he pushing 300lbs or over ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

SandRider wrote:did you tell Merritt who you were ?

He is actually skinny. Freak told him who he was (I think he already knew, Freak can speak to that better than I)

I was interested by the other guy in the panel (no idea what his name was or why he was on the panel). At one point in the barrage of Anti-KJA sentiment he spoke up and said something like, "Well that is one of the biggest criticisms of the book..." Kevin may have shit himself and you could tell he was anxious to get out of there. He even ended a bit early to avoid Freak's 2nd question (maybe not just Freak's but certainly the Anti-KJA sentiment). I think he may have been caught off guard b/c it is Dragon*Con and in his mind anything that involves Star Wars and Star Trek is a safe haven but he forgot that the people that he was talking to are skeptic/scientific minded in a way that no hack fan could ever be.

This is my summation of the panel:

It was classic ass-hat, having now heard him in person talk a lot about himself and how great he is, I will NEVER respect or read anything of his. I am actually considering a book-bonfire in my backyard with anything that has his name on it. Any donators? I will post video.

Edit to add: I got a cool winds of doon 'sling bag' that was well worth the trip. This will be included in the fire.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nebiros wrote:So they called The Road to Dune the 'cream of the crop' of Frank Herbert's notes. But they left out several deleted or cut out chapters. And from God Emperor of all novels! Those would have been great to read.

Damn! And instead they filled the rest of the book with their short stories! And added one in the later edition (sea child).
I cornered Byron and begged him to preserve the notes and outline for posterity. He said they will probably go to Fullerton or Fresno?
Fresno? I just checked and there is no worthy SF library in Fresno. What the hell is he talking about?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Fresno? I just checked and there is no worthy SF library in Fresno. What the hell is he talking about?
I thought he said something about one in Oregon. Haven't you mentioned one in Oregon before?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

I thought he said something about one in Oregon. Haven't you mentioned one in Oregon before?
I can't remember where he said besides Fullerton... if I stop thinking about it, it will come to me... was it Portland?
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

wait, back up a minute.

Merritt skinny ? Really ?

I find that hard to comprehend ...

................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:
SandRider wrote:did you tell Merritt who you were ?

He is actually skinny. Freak told him who he was (I think he already knew, Freak can speak to that better than I)
I didn't have to. I ran to the bathroom just before the panel started and when I got back, Byron was standing in front of the door. I recognized him, but the D*C badges have your name on them and mine had "FREAKZILLA" on it too. His height threw me at first, I'm 6' so he must be like 6'-6". I walked up to him and said hi. He said something like, "I was wondering when you were going to show up!". He said that he hoped there were no hard feelings between us and I told him it was just business. He was very nice, I was suprised.
I was interested by the other guy in the panel (no idea what his name was or why he was on the panel). At one point in the barrage of Anti-KJA sentiment he spoke up and said something like, "Well that is one of the biggest criticisms of the book..."
That was after my "Marty and Daniel" question, and KJA's "thanks for spoiling it!" reply.

I'll look in the program and see who the third guy was.
~Pink Snowman
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

I can't remember where he said besides Fullerton... if I stop thinking about it, it will come to me... was it Portland?

Portland was it.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Interesting stuff, guys. Good work!

Freak, you should have casually mentioned Jacurutu's heavy site traffic to Byron! :P
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Dune Nerd wrote:I think he may have been caught off guard b/c it is Dragon*Con and in his mind anything that involves Star Wars and Star Trek is a safe haven but he forgot that the people that he was talking to are skeptic/scientific minded in a way that no hack fan could ever be.
Classic!

Yeah, I'm guessing he got complacent after his whirlwind "everybody loves me!" signing tour with Bobo. It's wonderful to hear that he made uncomfortable in Atlanta.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:wait, back up a minute.

Merritt skinny ? Really ?

I find that hard to comprehend ...

He was much thinner than in that picture. (Much grayer, too :P )
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

There is a library in Portland that has some FH letters, but only as part of the John C. Campbell archives. FH's personal library is housed in the Florence public library, but they are not archivists up there. They are public librarians who, IIRC, just have a few shelves of FH's old reference books and novels. Ive been meaning to go up to see if any of them are hand annotated, but other than that there is no reason to visit it. If they put FH stuff up there I suspect it would eventually get lost, or would deteriorate quickly, and it certainly would be hard to get to. Oregon is remote enough, but Florence is very hard to get to.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Florence! That's what he said.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Good to hear that Byron was civil in person. I'd love to have been at that panel to see KJA squirm.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I can see Byron being a nice guy. He was civil before the Jacurutu thing, besides that one outburst where he compared some guy from Arrakeen (might've been SR..?) to a piece of toilet paper or something. Didn't think he'd be 6' 6'' though! Omphalos is probably bigger than him, though. And it doesn't surprise me that Kevvy is a bitchy queen in person. He has never really said anything really that nice online, even fake, come to think of it.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:Florence!
Lots of dunes near there.

I don't have it right in front of me, but wasn't Florence where FH went for the original magazine article that eventually morphed into Dune?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.