Dragon*Con!!!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dragon*Con!!!

Post by Freakzilla »

Been distracted by high water... I'll get back on it soon.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

You make me all excited every time you post on this thread... :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

(Florence Library Collection)

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:There is a library in Portland that has some FH letters, but only as part of the John C. Campbell archives. FH's personal library is housed in the Florence public library, but they are not archivists up there. They are public librarians who, IIRC, just have a few shelves of FH's old reference books and novels. Ive been meaning to go up to see if any of them are hand annotated, but other than that there is no reason to visit it. If they put FH stuff up there I suspect it would eventually get lost, or would deteriorate quickly, and it certainly would be hard to get to. Oregon is remote enough, but Florence is very hard to get to.
I was slumming around over on DumbNumbels and noticed that 'noldo had posted a link and a passage of (fairly badly chosen) text from the page about the Siuslaw Public Library District, Frank Herbert Collection:

http://www.siuslawlibrary.org/FrankHerb ... ection.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...In the late 1980's one of his daughters moved to Florence as a business owner and resident, and took an interest in the new library building under construction. Shortly after the library building opened she presented the library with almost 400 books, pamphlets, recorded books on phonograph records, posters, photographs and other materials from the late Frank Herbert's personal library. This represented about one fifth of his personal library, and is a very eclectic collection of non-fiction, fiction and author's copies of his various works in many languages.

The books have been catalogued and are visible in the library's on-line catalog , but do not circulate. Visitors to the main branch can view the collection in it's locked cases in the library conference room, where, in addition, storyboard art and posters from the original Dune movie which were presented to Mr. Herbert are on display.
Um ... FH only had one daughter, so they probably mean one of the granddaughters. Or could it be referring to Theresa Shackelford? (I think she's somewhere in Tennessee or thereabouts now....)

Interesting.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I saw that post. That little turd has been mining the FH Secondary Sources page for some time now, taking stuff and posting it over at DN. Not that I have a problem with anyone from there knowing that stuff, but he could post a link, and start doing a little more original research before he spouts off.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm pretty sure a link to T(A)U would be instaban Over There ....

christ knows Arnie knows how to link ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I saw that post. That little turd has been mining the FH Secondary Sources page for some time now, taking stuff and posting it over at DN. Not that I have a problem with anyone from there knowing that stuff, but he could post a link, and start doing a little more original research before he spouts off.
Oh, OK. I should have known better than to think the nasty little pickle fucker was doing some honest research somewhere. :roll:
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

SandRider wrote:I'm pretty sure a link to T(A)U would be instaban Over There ....

christ knows Arnie knows how to link ....
Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I've seen this T(A)U mentioned several times, what is it?

A website? If so, could I possibly get a link? I'm just sorta feeling out of the loop.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

http://tau.solahpmo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

SandChigger wrote:http://tau.solahpmo.com/ :)
Thank you, so.. Are both these forums 'havens' for Orthodox Herbertarians?*Confused as to whether or not there is any point for the dark lord Xenu to register at T(A)U too*
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

You can't be told what the T(A)U is, you must experience it for yourself.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Ampoliros wrote:You can't be told what the T(A)U is, you must experience it for yourself.
But I fear the unknown!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Xenu wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:You can't be told what the T(A)U is, you must experience it for yourself.
But I fear the unknown!
Then back away from the thread.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Xenu wrote:
Thank you, so.. Are both these forums 'havens' for Orthodox Herbertarians?*Confused as to whether or not there is any point for the dark lord Xenu to register at T(A)U too*
This place is open to everyone. T(A)U is open to OH only.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Nekhrun wrote:Then back away from the thread.
I was kidding.
Omphalos wrote:
Xenu wrote:
This place is open to everyone. T(A)U is open to OH only.
Thanks for the helpful and very clear explanation! Guess I'll have to wait until I've read all Frank's Dune novels and at least tried to read one of the KJA novels before I know whether or not to register over at T(A)U!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

5 day until Dragon*Con and still no program. :(
Pocket Program

The Dragon*Con Pocket Program is the most valuable tool you can find at the Convention! The Pocket Program is available starting on the day the Convention opens at the Registration area. Inside you will find information on bus schedules, full length panel descriptions along with rooms and times, a pull-out schedule grid (for portability!), gaming schedules, floor maps of all of the host hotels, and special announcements.

Closer to the convention the Pocket Program will be available here in PDF format, so check back in August!

Schedule Grids

It's what everyone wants the most! The schedule grids are like a TV Guide for the Convention! Unfortunately, the schedule is still being worked on, so you can't have it just yet. We promise to put them online just as soon as we possibly can, and again this year, we will be providing them in PDF and Excel formats via Google Docs!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Is Anderjacket going? I'd have expected some more Twatting about it by this point ... :think:

Also, no McDune book to flog this year ... or next year, for that matter. :lol: My guess is he's skipping it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Is Anderjacket going? I'd have expected some more Twatting about it by this point ... :think:

Also, no McDune book to flog this year ... or next year, for that matter. :lol: My guess is he's skipping it.
He's on the guest list...
Kevin J. Anderson
Kevin J. Anderson is the author of over 100 books with more than 20 million copies in print worldwide; best known for his Dune novels with Brian Herbert, his Star Wars and X-Files work, and his original "Terra Incognita" and "Saga of Seven Suns" series
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

He is in LA right now for the Writer's of the Future awards last night.

I don't see him missing DragonCon since he's gets blown by all the Star Wars nerds the 501 rounds up for him.

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
Kevin J. Anderson
Kevin J. Anderson is the author of over 100 books with more than 20 million copies in print worldwide; best known for his Dune novels with Brian Herbert, his Star Wars and X-Files work, and his original "Terra Incognita" and "Saga of Seven Suns" series
Who thinks KJA writes his own "best known for" blurbs? No one else would mention SoSS, or even less TI. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

He writes them, without a doubt.

It probably depends on the organization, or website, or project, or whatever, but anytime someone needs a blurb of a certain word-count, TheKevin is all over it. I'll bet he actually volunteers.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

TheDukester wrote:He writes them, without a doubt.

It probably depends on the organization, or website, or project, or whatever, but anytime someone needs a blurb of a certain word-count, TheKevin is all over it. I'll bet he actually volunteers.
:lol:

I can't help but notice that 'best known for' does not imply that the works are good...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

A Thing of Eternity wrote: Who thinks KJA writes his own "best known for" blurbs? No one else would mention SoSS, or even less TI. :lol:
Definitely
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

@Freakzilla -

tried to get you to go last year, but you had to stalk Merritt ...

now, you gotta wait ...
http://www.atlantacampaign.com/news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Atlanta Campaign wishes to thank all who participated and attended our events over the last 10 years. You have made it very successful for the causes we gave money to. We are now taking a well deserved break for a few years. Please look for our next event, the 150 Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga, to be held in Chickamauga, Ga. Sept. 20 to 22, 2013. The sutler registration and reenactor registration forms are already on this site. We will also be hosting the 150th Anniversary Battle of Atlanta on Sept. 19 to 21, 2014. Hopefully we will be able to return to Nash Farm for the 2014 battle reenactment.

Please continue to watch our web site for updates to these two exciting events. We look forward to being able to host two very successful events just as we did in the past.

The Atlanta Staff
on the other hand, you got four years to get your kit together for the Sesquicentennial event ...
and if you don't make that one, well ... well, you're just a scalawag, that's all ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Wow, 150 years, sure doesn't seem like that long ago. Time flies...

Are YOU going?
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm kinda hoping to be dead by then ....

but I got a sinking feeling the Good Lord intends for me to attend an excessive number
of Sesquicentennial National Events ... I foresee longs hours trapped in Trucks and mini-Vans,
suffering endless hours of General Westbrook's opinions on everything from The MisJudgements
of John Bell Hood at Franklin to how to wipe shit off your bootheel ... lo, and back pain, yea
I say unto you, extreme lower back pain, inflammation and swelling of the facet joints, sitting
immobile in traveling vehicles for days unto days, sleeping on rocks, bathing in cold streams .... &etc.

I'm not looking past this season yet, in any great detail; my friends in Alabama had invited me to
the Chickamauga event this year, but I've switched that for the Tallassee Armory the last week
of October ... and also, the last week of September I've got to be here - Fort Concho is hosting
the United States Cavalry Association's National Championship .... a fucking full seven days of events,
expecting several hundred competitors, all their horses and gear, several full-period encampments
(including Spanish-American War & "BlackJack" Pershing Era) and the whole town's gonna go apeshit
nuts like they do during Rodeo Week, except these boys've got guns & sabers ... so I don't want to
miss that, and I'm supposed to be somekind of fort provost or judge or sheriff or something ... maybe
they said saber competition target dummy, I ain't really sure ...
ImageImage