Chess Players, Gamers, Poker Players Thread

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

HoosierDaddy

Chess Players, Gamers, Poker Players Thread

Post by HoosierDaddy »

I'm all three, and a few more. Count me in as chess player in my youth, then bridge (my best/favorite game), then a horrible gamer (Quake type games).

I sucked at Warcraft 3 on-line (but loved the game), then started playing low stakes internet poker. I was decent at poker, but hated the gambling aspect. Then the US cracked down on internet poker a few years ago, and I had to quit.

Holla at this playa!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I play chess on-line daily. Never played backgammon or bridge
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I play chess, various video games, and poker.

Details at 6.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

Gamer. Mostly RTS games(mediocre-to-bad), 1-2 shooters(mediocre-to-bad) and some MMO's and RPG's.

I'm not really sure how good I am since I never really play online.
I did play about 4 games of Red Alert 2 and C&C: Generals, in total.

The RA2 match I won, but I can't say the other player was much good as I managed to get a spy into his base(you have to be rather lame to not have guard dogs or something to guard against them) before I crushed him.

I was never much good at playing Generals, but I played 3 matches and won two.
One against some total idiot(see RA2, only this time the spy-esqe unit has to wait a few seconds EXPOSED to bloody do anything...and was inbetween his cloack-revealing defense structures...you can't get an easier target than that, but oh no...), the other against someone about my level, maybe a bit for the worse where we kinda turtled, and the last against some damn rusher on a map I'm really not fond of and with a side I'm not cofortable with(yea, yea, excuses, I know, I'd have lost anyway).

Sucks at chess and cards(well, I don't really know or have anyone to play card games with...solitair[sp?] I can manage though :P ).
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I'm naturally above average at all three activities, but I've never put in enough effort to be "good."

I'm better at RTS than FPS, usually. I'm better at puzzle games and RPGs, though.

I recently discovered that I'm completely unreadable in poker games. I still lose when I miscalculate what other people have, and I tend to get a little cocky, which leads to my downfall in most competitions/games.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Phaedrus wrote: I recently discovered that I'm completely unreadable in poker games. I still lose when I miscalculate what other people have, and I tend to get a little cocky, which leads to my downfall in most competitions/games.
Reaaaaally. You played against the best player ever and that person couldn't read you and told you so? Then you went on to play every other person in the world and they told you the same?

Absolute statements have a habit of coming across as absolute.
orald

Post by orald »

Eh, I only play against the PC so there's not much place for improvement there. I wouldn't say I'm all too bad in FPS games, but probably average...I'm just not one of those internet kiddies that play CS non-stop.

Actually, I haven't played much of anything except a bit of casual RPGing in some time now, too busy or tired from work.

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Phaedrus wrote: I recently discovered that I'm completely unreadable in poker games. I still lose when I miscalculate what other people have, and I tend to get a little cocky, which leads to my downfall in most competitions/games.
Reaaaaally. You played against the best player ever and that person couldn't read you and told you so? Then you went on to play every other person in the world and they told you the same?

:roll:

I'm sure you know what I meant. Stop being silly.
A Thing of Eternity

Phaedrus wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

:roll:

I'm sure you know what I meant. Stop being silly.
Chiggers been rubbing off on me. :D Seriously though, that was a pretty arrogant thing to say about yourself.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

According to Byron Merritt(after the fact), I got kicked off of DuneNovels for being an elitist.

And, as I pointed out in the above post, arrogance is one of my more prominent personality traits. And I'm damn proud of it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Chiggers been rubbing off on me.
Oops. I didn't think you'd notice, since it was such a small spot. :oops:

I'll pay for cleaning, or whatever. Tissue or paper towel in the meantime? :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Phaedrus wrote:According to Byron Merritt(after the fact), I got kicked off of DuneNovels for being an elitist.

And, as I pointed out in the above post, arrogance is one of my more prominent personality traits. And I'm damn proud of it.
:)

SandChigger wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Chiggers been rubbing off on me.
Oops. I didn't think you'd notice, since it was such a small spot. :oops:

I'll pay for cleaning, or whatever. Tissue or paper towel in the meantime? :lol:
:evil:
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Tissue or paper towel in the meantime? :lol:
Tissue absorbs better, but paper towels are more wear ressistent.

trang

Post by trang »

As a game player:

Started at age 8 or so, Board Games from Avalon Hill (dune, longest day, squad leader, the third reich, titan, gladiator, etc), and other types axis and allies and on.

Played AD&D and other similar RPG's, the ones with dice.

I played a huge about of games from steve jackson, and similar publishing houses known as "bag games" or "chit games". Melee, wizard, the fantasy trip, Ogre, Car wars, etc.

Light console gamer, old school mostly atari 2600 and Nintendo, Preferred the arcade, luved and played a ton of games. Donkey kong, Pacman, Joust, defender, robotron, zaxxon, jack the giant killer, tempest, Battlezone, Asteroids, and pinball.

Computer really is my preferred method. First was a timex sinclair, then a radio shack trs80, a commador 64....played ansi, text, and low color (4 - 16) based games back in theday. Later got IBM 8088 and worked forward to today.

Played most RPG's, RTS, and other games on the PC from SSI gold Box series to doom and beyond.

I was an avid BBS user, starting with my 300 baud modem on the commadore 64 thru to the 56k modem days. Played all kinds of games, but favorite had to be Tradewars and Overkill.

I started MMO type games with few muds, but got big time into them when AOL was a subservice of Prodigy. They join forces with TSR and SSI and created an online game based on the second gold box game Curse of the Azure Bonds engine. It was called AOL Neverwinter Nights (not related ot the newer Bioware games). Played that from beta in 1990 thru to 1996. Transfered thru to Everquest... 6+ years.. in between played The kingdom of Drakkar, Sierra on Line SHadows of yserbruis, TEN networks shatterd sun, Ultima online, and many others.

I moved to everquest II, but had been watching the development of ADD online. I played Dark Ages of Camelot, Warcraft, and finnaly DND online stormreach. I quit MMO's abotu two years ago.

I would say, based off experiences and commentary from folks I have played with, in all the above, I would be considered a Good Player.

As for Card games, more accomplished Hearts and Spades player, picked that up in MIlitary. Poker im ok at, never got into regular game.

And lastly Chess, I learned to play at age 10, I enjoy it, but would say I am humbly average at best. I play the computer now and again, but nothing regularly.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

The only game I really like to play is screwing with a woman's head.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I play mostly pong and Tetris on the computer...and some internet games.

I love Blackjack! My Grandma taught me how to play when I was little she also taught me Poker while I play it with friends for fun, I suck.
Blackjack is where I bet my friends and make some money.

My Mom also taught me how to play Mah Jong because you need 4 to play and one night she only have 3. I have only played a bit, but I have won a few hands.

And Then there is Laser Tag!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Any place where one can find some free online Chess action? I'm down to play anyone willing. :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Agent Orange, I bought a mah jong set years ago when I was studying Chinese in the States; never could find anyone to play, though. There are "mah jahn" parlors over here, but they always look fairly seedy from the outside and I've been leery of going into one on my own. I did play a version on my computer for a while, but it got old fast.

Are there still a lot of people who play where you are?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

It seems to be really popular with the Jewish community here. (Texas)
I was raised Jewish, but have gone my own way let me just say that before I get flamed.

You can find small groups of old ladies playing in coffee shops and the like. I heard there is a group who plays in the mall and another who plays at the Rec center. My advice if you want to get use out of the thing find a group of Jews, or teach your friends.

I was really surprised at how fast I picked it up and how fun it can be.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Simon wrote:Any place where one can find some free online Chess action? I'm down to play anyone willing. :)
The best online chess site is: www.timeforchess.com
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sweet, Ithankyousir! 8)
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Simon wrote:Any place where one can find some free online Chess action? I'm down to play anyone willing. :)
I use redhotpawn.com. It's email based (i.e. not real time) but you can have up to six games going at once, or unlimited if you donate some $.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I like chess (on board not electronic) gin rummy, rummy, and dominos. Play poker when I was younger but lost interest in it. Never got the hang for bridge. I guess chess will always be my favorite. Enjoy playing it with my son even though he wins almost every time now.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Schu

Post by Schu »

I was gonna post a chess thread. I used to play lots at high school, but I wasn't very good at defence in those days so anyone with a bit of persistence would wear out my attack and beat me (in fact, I played better as black because by necessity I would have to curb my attack a little at least initially). Then I played a little more a few years ago when I went to germany and played my uncle, who's crazy about chess. I had the wood on him, despite being very rusty.

I didn't play much after that until I made a facebook profile, discovered it had applications and chess was one of them in August '07. I mean, I like playing people I know, and facebook made that rather more convenient than actually making time for an over the board game.

Then when I had a nasty breakup later that year, I decided to join an online tournament on gameknot.com to get my mind off it. I ended up winning the first two heats I was in, narrowing it down from about 1000 players to about 100, but for some reason I never got into the next round, which was annoying.

I just started on another tournament and demolished every player in the first heat (of 4 people, you play games of black and white against each opponent so 6 games, and I won all of them convincingly even though none of the players were bad by any means) of which I was rather proud.

My uni seems to have re-start up a chess club that used to exist. I played the guy running the stall at the orientation week and beat him twice but in very very close games.

Poker. I love it. I can rarely find people to play though (maybe every few months), and the idea of online poker seems pointless to me for such a psychological game.

I game a bit. My noticeable achievement is, amusingly, that I'm one of the best players of minesweeper in the world (approximately in the top 100). I like playing strategy games, especially heroes of might and magic. I used to play a fair bit of unreal tournament and Battlefield 2 with friends.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chess Players, Gamers, Poker Players Thread

Post by Freakzilla »

I noticed one of the CAD people at work had a new, glass chess set on his desk and he asked if I'd like to play a game at lunch. As the morning went on he started talking shit...

Lunch came around and I checkmated him in four moves:

http://www.101chesstips.com/four-move-checkmate.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:P

That was the highlight of my day so far...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman