Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Two out of three so far....lots of material here :D

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

looking at your output, do you ever wonder if your work has suffered quality wise?
Ah, is that the old myth that "if you write quickly, you can't possibly be good"? I never allow a work to be published until I am convinced it is as polished as I can make it.
ADMISSION: I'm doing my best.

(Ain't good enough!)
My work has been nominated for the Nebula and Bram Stoker Awards; it's been named "New York Times Notable Book" of the year, been selected by the Science Fiction Book Club as the favorite novel of the year by the largest margin in the history of the award, and has won numerous other fan and reader awards. No, I don't think the quality has suffered.
Hasn't won any REAL awards. SELF-DELUSION: I'm a good writer!

(Bullshit.)
Let me offer a different gauge. I may write quite a few books in a year, but I write ALL THE TIME, seven days a week, at least eight hours a day. I know many other authors who put in a couple of hours in the evenings and on weekends. They might produce a novel a year, while I publish six -- but I've actually spent more HOURS on each book than they did.
SELF-DELUSION: My cock is bigger.

Alternative translation: My shitpile is bigger 'cause I never get off the pot.

(But shit is still shit.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I kept going because *I* always knew I was going to be a writer, so I kept at it and kept at it -- through over 500 rejection slips. but along the way I wasn't just wasting my time...I was getting better and better.
THE DELUSION IS OLD AND DEEP!

500 rejection slips (SEE, EVEN MORE THAN THAT OLD WINDBAG HERBERT GOT FOR HIS NOVEL, NYA NYA NYA!!!)? :shock:

CANNOT TAKE A FUCKING HINT!!!

If he has been getting better and better over the years, what the hell was his writing like when he started?

Sloey-level? :shock:
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Blast! Nothing on characterization!

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Looks like his hour is up.

Chintzy bastard...he can only give them one fucking hour?

What a GUY! :roll:

(Ah...this was FUN! :twisted: Someone write the bastard and tell him we'll have to do it again REAL SOON!!! :lol: )
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
Sloey-level? :shock:

Don't insult Sloey!!!!!!!!

Rob
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, my ... it's not often that I'm left speechless, but ... what a tool!

The only thing worse than a hack is a hack with delusions of grandeur.

One of you guys is logging his responses, right? The transcript of this thing is going to be a comedy gold mine for months and months.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Judging by what they have done with past writers is they just lock it and leave it for others to peruse :twisted:

I must Say Tim Powers had some good stuff to say and he spread his out over one thread and several days.

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Sadly, I think we may have only ourselves to blame. If we didn't have a system in place that celebrated mediocrity and lavished "awards" upon hacks like KJA, he'd have long ended up someone's bitch stuck in the basement with a career proofreading cookbooks.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I would have liked to start a thread about scientology influences on him.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

May that still be his fate!

(If that boulder doesn't get him, I mean. :twisted: )
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:I would have liked to start a thread about scientology influences on him.
I see it as two snake oil salesmen using each other.

Rob
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Immeasurably important. You have to know the other universe inside and out and you have to get everything right -- this is especially true because the fans of those universes (Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Files, Dune, etc.) also know the series inside and out and [because *they* all want to write novels there] they are trying to catch you at any mistake.
Wait, didn't he say somewhere that no matter how hard you try, there are going to be errors? He doesn't just contradict Frank Herbert, it seems. :evil:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

because *they* all want to write novels there
I prefer to read them, preferably good ones if possible, mediocre stuff just gives me chafe. But hey at least there's some sence of humor in KJA, i hope :shock:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't think that was an example of his sense of humor. (I'm sure he must have one, even if it's very small, pinched [I like that word of late!] and warped.)

This is a new gambit on his part—at least, I haven't seen or heard him use it before this—so maybe he just thought of it recently. But it's really just a variation on the old "you're just critical because you're jealous" rationalization.

I'm sure he believes it and wasn't joking. He thinks we all want to write Dune stories and novels and hate him because he's the one who got chosen (=wormed his way in). He'll never seriously entertain the possbility that we hate his books because they're badly written.
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:He thinks we all want to write Dune stories and novels and hate him because he's the one who got chosen (=wormed his way in).
The badly acted SW ep.3 final battle scene comes to mind suddenly...But you were the chosen one! :P

Like Anakin, he too turned to the Dark Side. And probably goes about killing little kids.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

orald wrote:
SandChigger wrote:He thinks we all want to write Dune stories and novels and hate him because he's the one who got chosen (=wormed his way in).
The badly acted SW ep.3 final battle scene comes to mind suddenly...But you were the chosen one! :P
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!