Prince Caspian

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I never really had any religion growing up, though out of obligation to some family I still celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, and Passover. I went to temple twice a year but it never did anything for me... actually, I kinda wish I had some religious backing because now there's just the disconnect with anyone who does have those beliefs. It makes it harder to understand and relate to some people when one just doesn't care at all about those institutions.

Oh well. At least I can try to piss off my friend who is going to school to become a minister :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
orald

Post by orald »

If Jesus loves everyone, does it make him "bi"...and pro polygamy? :o

I looooooove Jesus then! :D
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

I'm trying to find who it was that he was friends with. Some famous atheist author...

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ummm.. JRR Tolkien?
EDIT: Nevermind I though he was an athiest. My bad.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Pardot Kynes wrote:I'm trying to find who it was that he was friends with. Some famous atheist author...
One of the other Inklings?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Pardot Kynes wrote:
Mandy wrote:Was C.S. Lewis raised religious? If his parents were religious and then he grew up and decided he was atheist.. then later changed his mind that makes much more sense.

Pard.. Philip Pullman was about 17 when C.S. Lewis died, I don't think they were ever tight. His Dark Materials is kind of the anti-Chronicles of Narnia though.
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then.
Pullman did call the Narnia books racist and sexist, among other things. You can read this old article about it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jun/0 ... stival2002
orald

Post by orald »

Meh, if I were still in contact with those LoTR loons here in Israel I'd know who it was.
There're some really bored people who've not only learned much about Tolkien's bio', but also on C.S Lewis'.

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

There is a lot of stuff on the internet about Pullman hating C.S. Lewis, and The Chronicles of Narnia. I haven't been able to find anything else.. but I haven't bothered to really search, because there's so much about the books and movies that the information is buried.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

orald wrote:Meh, if I were still in contact with those LoTR loons here in Israel I'd know who it was.
There're some really bored people who've not only learned much about Tolkien's bio', but also on C.S Lewis'.
I'm a LOTR loon, but I don't really see how CS lewis and Tolkien are related :P

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

A Thing of Eternity

They were really good buddies, Tolkien supposedly used Lewis as inspiration for Treebeard's voice, Tolkien converted Lewis to Christianty (for some reason I've always thought that JRR was an Athiest, joke's on me I guess) , I believe they both taught similar lingistics classes at the same school. That's what I know about them being related off the top of my head.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:They were really good buddies, Tolkien supposedly used Lewis as inspiration for Treebeard's voice, Tolkien converted Lewis to Christianty (for some reason I've always thought that JRR was an Athiest, joke's on me I guess) , I believe they both taught similar lingistics classes at the same school. That's what I know about them being related off the top of my head.
They were in the Inklings together.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Ya, but that's all speculation on the writing side... they aren't really linked in that aspect.

-Julius Caesar

A Thing of Eternity

From what, admittedly little, I know Tolkien also put some christianity into his works. He thought of Lewis's writing as over-zealous though. Converts always are.
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

The whole ultimate good vs ultimate evil thing was solid christian background :P

-Julius Caesar

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Pardot Kynes wrote:The whole ultimate good vs ultimate evil thing was solid christian background :P

Aragorn was also a christ figure and look at the title of the third part, "Return of the King."

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Tolkien was actually against that title. He felt that it gave away the ending. Kinda did.
Yes, he is pretty jebus-esque.
orald

Post by orald »

Pardot Kynes wrote:
orald wrote:Meh, if I were still in contact with those LoTR loons here in Israel I'd know who it was.
I'm a LOTR loon, but I don't really see how CS lewis and Tolkien are related :P
You're obviously not much of a loon then(well, not LoTR loon :P ).
I'm not talking about liking the books alone and discussing them on a board, I'm talking about people who're probably qualified to make a biography on Tolkien.
BTW, one of the main loons is also a BwB member, I saw his pic on the BwB site(Tal).

I remember that Tolkien objected more to the overflowing Christinity in the Narnia series as compared with his much more subtle LoTR, not really the "overzealous" part(Tolkien was quite the zealous prick himself BTW).

A Thing of Eternity

Sorry, that's what I meant. Over-zealousness in the over the top christianity in the narnia books. Bad wording. I'm sad now that I know JRR was a christian. Oh well.
orald

Post by orald »

Not only Christian, but a devout Roman-Catholic.

He also made his wife change from Anglican(?) when they married.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not such a big change, eh? 8)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

Well, if you mean from one lame type of Christian to another then yea, though catholics seem to have it harsher.

But I have to mention that Tolkien and his wife had a very romantic relationship, and I think I made him look like a careless jerk by mentioning the convertion of his wife.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Prince Caspian

Post by SandChigger »

Bump.

I just saw all but the first half hour or so of this. (Hadn't seen it, wasn't anything else on.) Who else has seen it?

There's a scene that is REALLY REMINISCENT of something in McDune: when they knock out the underground supports and collapse part of the battlefield leading up to Aslan's How. I've never read any of the the Narnia books, so I don't know if this is in the original, but it is too damned similar to where the Moritanis collapse the seabed battlefield on Grumman in one of the Young Paul flashbacks for it to be a complete coincidence.

So does this mean KJA stole from Narnia? :shock:

Anyone know of the use of this tactic in any other fictional works? (I'm assuming it has never been used in actual history.)

I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to the possibility of KJA having lifted something from another work. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

For a second there I thought Orald was back! I'd put my money on KJA not having an original thought.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

There's no evidence it's actually ever happened; I'd say that's a safe bet.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

I've seen the movie, haven't read the books (yet).

But I've seen something similar used in Lion King 1 & 1/2. (The meerkats dug tunnels beneath the 'battle field' and then caused a collaspe which captured most of the hyenas and drove off the remainder)

And if we look at some of the older movies, I'm sure we could find examples of similar situations occuring.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.