Prince Caspian

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Tyrant

Prince Caspian

Post by Tyrant »

went to see Prince Caspian the other night...not bad...i didnt think it had the feel of the first one..but it makes up for it with lots of action ... not a bad movie to take pre-teens too (unless your one of those parents)
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Simon

Post by Simon »

I never even saw the original, Narnia was never my thing...

The guy who played Caspian is has been cast in a new theatrical production of "the Portrait of Dorian Grey", I'm looking forward to that. (Supposedly they are going to try and keep it real close to the book)
orald

Post by orald »

I remember watching the first Narnia with my ex on his PC...We kept fantasizing aloud about the guy who played Peter(had to look at IMDB for both his and his char's name), William Moseley.

*Complementry picture*
*drool*

I just realized what's on his surcoat...Mandy, dont'cha think he'd be perfect to play some Lannister(Lancel would be the right age, but that's a rather minor part at best so far) if the HBO series will get the green light?
Or maybe Jaime if he waits a few more years+make up.

Personally I've never read any of the Narnia books and don't plan on doing so. I get the feeling I'll be stabbing the book from all the obvious "Get Christian!" messages in there.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One of the young ladies in my senior comp class is doing her graduation paper on C. S. Lewis. We got onto the topic of Narnia this week and several of her classmates were surprised to learn about the "Paulian" elements throughout it.

They don't see them, not being steeped in the stuff. One of the nicer aspects of this place I will miss if and when I leave. :cry:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah... some people miss the secret Christian brainwashing embedded in those books. On the other hand I thought his book 'mere christianity' was extremely well done, and actually fairly objective (except for a few crazy statements) for a christian writing about christianity. He's the only high profile Christ worshipper I've ever heard say that a Buddhist living his life well and finding his own connection to god is probably closer to heaven than a christian who half-asses it. Smart book, really helped me understand christians (the ones that have thought it through that is, the "born into it, never questioned it" type still boggle my mind).
orald

Post by orald »

Oh yes, the ones who think about it before joining are so much to be appriciated. :roll:

For me I'd say the worse part is that I've heard it's full of half-subtle racism(not to mention sexism, but that's more a product of its day), like some book that's filled with arab look-alikes(oh well, maybe that specific book won't be too hard for me to read :wink: ).

A Thing of Eternity

I'd take a sheep with eyes over one without.
orald

Post by orald »

But the ones without are more easily slaughtered. :twisted:

Oh, c'mon HBO, I wanna see William Moseley Roar! :D

I don't think he has it in him to be Lancel though, because...oops, spoiler. :wink:

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

:lol:

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html
http://omacl.org/
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It's much easier for me to understand someone who has been born into a religion remaining in it without questioning than someone who decides to start believing in the supernatural. The born into it person never had the chance to be objective.

Orald, yeah he'd make a good ASoIaF character.. he's cute. I haven't heard anything new about the HBO miniseries, so maybe by the time that gets going he'll be old enough to play Jaime.
A Thing of Eternity

I agree. I cannot fathom a true Athiest deciding to beleive in the supernatural. I'm speaking of the people who are either converted Agnostics and have seriously thought out why they beleive, (C.S. Lewis is an example, though he claims that he was originally an Athiest, that's BS IMO I don't see how someone could go from having zero beleif to 100%. If that person started out at 1% then maybe, but zero? BS) or I'm talking about the people who were brought up in a religion and chose to question it; in doing so discovered that they truly do beleive.

Those people actually beleive. Everyone else just "accepts" different things altogether IMO.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I didn't really like this one compared to the first. However, once Aslan appeared and started kicking ass I couldn't help but think You Don't Mess With The Aslan. :)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I agree. I cannot fathom a true Athiest deciding to beleive in the supernatural. I'm speaking of the people who are either converted Agnostics and have seriously thought out why they beleive, (C.S. Lewis is an example, though he claims that he was originally an Athiest, that's BS IMO I don't see how someone could go from having zero beleif to 100%. If that person started out at 1% then maybe, but zero? BS) or I'm talking about the people who were brought up in a religion and chose to question it; in doing so discovered that they truly do beleive.

Those people actually beleive. Everyone else just "accepts" different things altogether IMO.
He was an athiest- he and Phillip Pullman were tight, until CS converted. Puillman then thought Lweis was a dumbshit, and CS thought Pullman was an intolerant ass.

Got pretty ugly after that.

What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
-Julius Caesar

A Thing of Eternity

I don't buy it. I know he said he was, but there's a difference between a person being an Agnostic that's so close to Atheism that he claims to be one, and some one that actually is. Short of god himself hitting an Athiest over the head with an indisputable supernatural act, nothing could convert a thru and thru Athiest. You know what, even if something like that did happen a real Atheist would probably go into denial and find some excuse for it (I'm not say that's admirable, just probably true).

Maybe I'm wrong, but then again... nope, I think I'm right. :D

I don't mean to get worked up, but this is an issue near and dear to my brain.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Was C.S. Lewis raised religious? If his parents were religious and then he grew up and decided he was atheist.. then later changed his mind that makes much more sense.

Pard.. Philip Pullman was about 17 when C.S. Lewis died, I don't think they were ever tight. His Dark Materials is kind of the anti-Chronicles of Narnia though.
orald

Post by orald »

Tleszer wrote:You Don't Mess With The Aslan. :)
Wasn't it Simba? :?

Oops, different Disney movie. :P

TBH, when I saw the first Narnia I thought it was a real lion, only really computer manipulated with the lips when talking, but I understand it was all CG? It was very convincing from what I recall.

That fawn(?) was creepy though, both me and the ex thought he was a bit pedo' with that Lucy(?) girl. :shock:
Mandy wrote:so maybe by the time that gets going he'll be old enough to play Jaime.
Or he could play young Jaime during Aerys' reign.
If they want a resume he can just hand them that above mentioned poster. :P

BTW, I was born into a religeous family but grew out of it around age 15-16 to become totally atheist, though I do have some habits remaining, like still half-sticking to kosher foods(nothing wrong with that really when most of the food in this country is kosher anyway, and I don't plan on eating yucky invertabrates etc).

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

mmmm shrimp, you don't know what you're missing :P

I was raised religious but grew out of it in the last 10 or so years. It's extremely hard to completely throw away all those little superstitions.. it's like a habit I guess. I call myself agnostic now.
orald

Post by orald »

Mmm...cockroaches.

:shock:

And yet you wouldn't touch brains.

Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Shrimp looks like meat.. sort of :P
A Thing of Eternity

I had the great fortune of being raised in near-zero proximity to religion. Sometimes I take for granted that chance, but I try not to. I was, of course, an agnostic as a small child (some say all children are agnostic, as they cannot truly comprehend what they are being told to believe) but I had no real concept at all of Christianity (or other religions), didn't know who Jesus was other than that he was the son of god, and god was the guy who ran heaven, which was the place you go when you die. I remember asking when I was small "who was god before he died?" I hadn't even heard of him as a creator... the universe just sort of existed. I never put much thought into it.

Eventually I found out about the tooth fairy, then the easter bunny, then santa, then god, then my parents even admitted to me that no one knows for sure whether there is a heaven or not. They said that they thought there was probably life after death (though they are agnostic not religious), I finally put some thought into it and realized that I did not share that belief. I was probably about six, and that was the end of that.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

The first song I remember learning was Jesus loves me.. I was really pissed off about that after some of the things that happened to me when I was a kid. I think religion does more to fuck people up in the long run, I wish I'd been raised in a zero religion environment.
orald

Post by orald »

Same as cockroaches, baby. :puke:

A Thing of Eternity

It's hearing from people that didn't get that chance and had to struggle with it that really makes me apreceate what I had, and makes me hate religion all the more.

I'm kinda getting into Sikhism though, haven't gone to deep yet but from a philosophical point of veiw I like some of their ideas. The supernatural side of it is obviously bull, but hey, I'm in the 2.5% of the world that thinks that way.
orald

Post by orald »

If I'd pick a religion it'd be R'hllor.

Burning stuff(and people) FTW! :twisted:

For the night is dark and full of terrors, of course. :roll:

Pardot Kynes

Post by Pardot Kynes »

Mandy wrote:Was C.S. Lewis raised religious? If his parents were religious and then he grew up and decided he was atheist.. then later changed his mind that makes much more sense.

Pard.. Philip Pullman was about 17 when C.S. Lewis died, I don't think they were ever tight. His Dark Materials is kind of the anti-Chronicles of Narnia though.
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then.

-Julius Caesar