Acetone in Gas

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Dune Nerd

Acetone in Gas

Post by Dune Nerd »

I don't know if anyone has heard of this or not but I was asked at work the other day about adding acetone to gas from a gas station to get better fuel mileage.

I wasn't sure about it so I went and had some tests done (i am a test engineer so this is the only way I can convince myself of anything). The results were jaw dropping. With acetone added to the tank the emissions of Hydrocarbons dropped by at least 40%. I have the data sheets which I will upload shortly.

At first I thought this was one of those internet hoaxes but when the data showed up I was impressed. I have an old 87 thunderbird that I will be trying this out on before I do it with all of my vehicles I will let everyone know what the results are. Wanted to pass the info along and see what everyone thought...

Discuss...
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Acetone in Gas

Post by Nekhrun »

Dune Nerd wrote:Discuss...
I think there are some great ideas out there about fuel additives to increase mileage. My fear is that it will take my vehicle out of fuel specifications and nullify my warranty.
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

This is interesting. One article I read stated an increase in fuel economy as well. And we are not talking about a lot of acetone here, just a few ounces per tankful.

So this begs the question: If the data shows fewer emissions and better gas mileage, why hasn't anybody screamed bloody murder at the oil industry and the governments of the world?

I'm betting this is a hoax.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

if you really want to lower emissions the thing to add is sugar. Gets you right down to zero emissions real quick. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:if you really want to lower emissions the thing to add is sugar. Gets you right down to zero emissions real quick. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Didn't Mythbusters address that one?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:if you really want to lower emissions the thing to add is sugar. Gets you right down to zero emissions real quick. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Didn't Mythbusters address that one?
They did, it didn't work on new cars.

How much recources do you think it takes to make acetone?

Don't let that acetone get one anything plastic either, it will dissolve superglue in seconds.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

The acetone added per 10 gallons is 1 ounce.

Like I said we did the test and it did show that it cleaned up the fuel. I can't seem to upload the pdf files or the images from those pdfs to show the data that we got.

The main thing that it does is remove ethanol (which lowers gas mileage because it does not burn at all in the engine combustion process and that is a fact) and water (which is used as a filler by gas companies to decrease gas mileage). The less the better because it does eat up any plastic seals and such.

I am not overly concerned about being eco-friendly or using up resources to make acetone I just don't want to spend $4 a gallon and not do everything I can to use that all up.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

HoosierDaddy wrote:This is interesting. One article I read stated an increase in fuel economy as well. And we are not talking about a lot of acetone here, just a few ounces per tankful.

So this begs the question: If the data shows fewer emissions and better gas mileage, why hasn't anybody screamed bloody murder at the oil industry and the governments of the world?

My understanding is that the government is paid by fuel companies (via lobbyists who should be shot) and why would they want less money?
A Thing of Eternity

Dune Nerd wrote:
HoosierDaddy wrote:This is interesting. One article I read stated an increase in fuel economy as well. And we are not talking about a lot of acetone here, just a few ounces per tankful.

My understanding is that the government is paid by fuel companies (via lobbyists who should be shot) and why would they want less money?
Also by massive taxes on the oil companies and gas retail (in Canada anyways) A drop in oil consumption would hit our Gov pretty hard.
On another note, mythbusters says sugar won't ruin your car? I thought it would for sure.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:I am not overly concerned about being eco-friendly or using up resources to make acetone I just don't want to spend $4 a gallon and not do everything I can to use that all up.
That's not the point, if everyone starts cutting their gasoline with acetone, the price of acetone will go up too.

Even if you use and electric car, those patteries have to be charged by generators that burn hydrocarbon fuel to make electricity. It costs more to make an electric car.

For $2,000 you can convert a deisel engine to burn vegetable oil.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:I am not overly concerned about being eco-friendly or using up resources to make acetone I just don't want to spend $4 a gallon and not do everything I can to use that all up.
That's not the point, if everyone starts cutting their gasoline with acetone, the price of acetone will go up too.

Even if you use and electric car, those patteries have to be charged by generators that burn hydrocarbon fuel to make electricity. It costs more to make an electric car.

For $2,000 you can convert a deisel engine to burn vegetable oil.
Yep and that is what the plan is right now, I actually am in the process of getting my biodiesel plant up and running, in the meantime I wanted to see the viability of this idea.
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Adding 1 ounce of acetone (a tablespoon or so) to a tank of gas probably won't hurt anything, so give it a whirl if you are adventurous.

After doing a Google on "acetone+gas+hoax", there are just as many negatives as positives to the concept. Supposedly "Mythbusters" did a show on this, and concluded no improvement.

I think the placebo effect may be working here. The same reason my car runs better after I wash/wax it.

:P
orald

Post by orald »

Them horseless carriages be the devil I says! :x
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Dune Nerd wrote:I just don't want to spend $4 a gallon...
How does £5 a gallon sound, ah you gotta love the good old UK:/
A Thing of Eternity

I'm around $4.5 per gallon (I think, hard for me to convert our measurements to the old ones) and we make the damn gas.
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

I found personally that your driving habits contribute a lot to the mileage you get. When my younger daughter is driving my car frequently, I'm getting at least 10% less miles/gallon. I'm more conservative in traffic, braking less, accelerating less, and coasting more.

Of course when I point this out to her, I'm "nitpicking her driving". Her mother drives the same way obv. Women drivers... :roll:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Dune Nerd wrote: I am not overly concerned about being eco-friendly or using up resources to make acetone I just don't want to spend $4 a gallon and not do everything I can to use that all up.
You will like it here then. 1.60 euro's for a LITER of petrol
1 gallon = 3.7854 liters ... 1 Euro = 1.5458 USD

Here today 1 gallon will cost: 6.06 Euro = 9.36 USD ... why are you complaining?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, Serkanner just stole my thunder with that figure, but the sentiment is the same: I'm still not feeling too sorry for y'all, through my own pain. ;)

160 yen per liter or $5.84 per gallon.

I remember the Oil Crisis. We learned nothing, as usual. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

SandChigger wrote:Well, Serkanner just stole my thunder with that figure, but the sentiment is the same: I'm still not feeling too sorry for y'all, through my own pain. ;)

160 yen per liter or $5.84 per gallon.

I remember the Oil Crisis. We learned nothing, as usual. :roll:
I get that same feeling when I see these huge SUV's here in the states. I thought we were supposed to be driving lighter, more fuel efficient cars. I'm sure we will hear those car owners complaining about gas prices, along with their poor cell phone reception while driving.

:twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I do feel sorry for people with large families who need a larger vehicle just to get around.

Also for people who need one for work.

But I wonder what percentage of "urban assault vehicle" owners fall into those categories.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I have a 110 mile round trip commute and my car gets about 20 miles per gallon. It only takes premium gas, which is about $4 US around here. That's $352 a month... at best traffic conditions... just to go to work. I leave for work at about 5:00 AM so I avoid the morning rush hour and only work four ten-hour days but there is no avoiding the afternoon rush hour which starts about 3:00. If I take a half hour lunch I can leave at 4:30. That increases my travel time by 50% over the morning trip so add that in. There are no busses or trains so I don't have any other option.

If gas goes up much more I won't be able to afford to go to work.

:cry:
~Pink Snowman
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I've seen a couple of these smart fortwo cars around town, but when you look at all the features and what they cost, it kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

http://www.smartusa.com/smart-car-fortwo.aspx

They get around 30 miles per gallon and start at $16,000 to buy. :shock:

If they made something like this in the 7 to 10,000 range and 45 miles per gallon, I'll bet they'd sell like hotcakes.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

inhuien wrote:

If you were taxed in the UK at the rate we are in the US you would be paying $3.08 a gallon US.

Real world demand would put oil at $89 a barrel but speculators keep bidding the price up so consumers are getting hit with a 25% premium above and beyond real world demand.

Rob
orald

Post by orald »

HoosierDaddy wrote:Women drivers... :roll:
An oxymoron.

:twisted:

SC wrote:I remember the Oil Crisis. We learned nothing, as usual. :roll:

Or from Dune for that matter.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Robspierre wrote:
inhuien wrote:

If you were taxed in the UK at the rate we are in the US you would be paying $3.08 a gallon US.

Real world demand would put oil at $89 a barrel but speculators keep bidding the price up so consumers are getting hit with a 25% premium above and beyond real world demand.

Rob
Your right of course Dowing Street takes a huge cut for it's self and now that the only refinery in Scotland has had a strike the prices have went up again.