On the "Etiquette" of Book Signings

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

On the "Etiquette" of Book Signings

Post by SandChigger »

I've never been much of a groupie nor one to seek after the autographs of authors or other people whose work(s) I like. I've never intentionally attended a book signing...although I seem to remember accidently barging in on one once. ;)

I was just perving Kevin's latest MySpace blahg about how he and 'Becca will be attending the LA Times Festival of Books this weekend. One of the FoKs commented:

See you there, Pal. Just finished boxing up loads of your books.

That reminded me that I've seen similar comments in the past, about people coming in with loads of books for signing.

Maybe it's just me and my rapidly superannuating sense of "right and wrong", but isn't that like an incredible and rather presumptious imposition? Not only on the author, who is expected to sign the things, but also on the host...when the venue happens to be a bookstore (which it will for the signing this weekend)?

Have any of you witnessed this kind of clueless behavior? (Boxing up loads of books, he wrote!) Or am I misreading what is meant?

Or worse, that out of touch with current mores? :shock: (I still remember the back-and-forth on sitting and reading the whole of "Treasure in the Sand" in a Borders or similar over on DNBBS.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

At anything other then a book release event, I think its fine to ask, but only if the books are for the asker, and not for sale on eBay. I think authors get good at figuring out motives after they are confronted with the problem a few thousand times. For example, the next time Greg Bear comes to town I'm going to take five or six books and ask him to sign them for me. I don't do that with everyone, but I have been exchanging e-mails with him for some time now, and I think he would happily do it once I tell him who I am, and he realizes that its for my personal collection.

Now at conventions, where you have to pay $30 - $80 to get in the door to even meet your favorite author? Well, fuck him or her if they disagree to signing a bunch of books at those things.

As to the number of books being brought; Let's just assume that this particular FoK is as given to hyperbole as his teen-idol Kevie is and assume that he means three or four. :wink:
Last edited by Omphalos on 24 Apr 2008 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:...Greg Bear...
I liked Eon and Eternity.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Eon was great. I especially loved the Russian general. Think Ill re read that one next week.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

There a re a few folks who's signature i have more than one of, but not on purpose. My personal favorite is my Jack Williamson autograph,(Demon Moon) he personalized it to me back when I was still in high school.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

With the idiot fans Kevin seems to attact, I'm never sure whether it's hyperbole or not. ;)

I remember someone posting somewhere about a guy or couple who brought several armfuls of books and their three rowdy kids who caused chaos at someone's signing.

Oh well.

:shock:

You've only got two kids, right Omph?

:P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Yep. Must have been Freak. :wink:

Goodnight Golden Path!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I'd love it if someone turned up, dropped their trousers and bent over and asked Kev to sign their arse.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Since yours has received the Orald Seal of Disapproval, are you thinking of volunteering? :P
orald

Post by orald »

Sign his ass, or... :shock:

CL just wants to see men drop their pants, period.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:
Omphalos wrote:...Greg Bear...
I liked Eon and Eternity.
Same here!
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

chanilover wrote:I'd love it if someone turned up, dropped their trousers and bent over and asked Kev to sign their arse.
Hehe, well I think Eru did the next best thing with getting that Hack to sign his SandChigger shirt! :wink:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Tleilax Master B wrote:
chanilover wrote:I'd love it if someone turned up, dropped their trousers and bent over and asked Kev to sign their arse.
Hehe, well I think Eru did the next best thing with getting that Hack to sign his SandChigger shirt! :wink:
Where the hell is he? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:
Where the hell is he? :?
We exchanged emails a couple of weeks back and he said he was glad he was missed and would be here more often. I guess something came up :(
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That seems to be the rumor...something arose. ;)
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Oh Eru, I'd forgotten about him. I remember his Trannies story, that was great.