What is a light year?

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Spicelon

What is a light year?

Post by Spicelon »

It's not that I don't know. Well, I think I know. But Chiggy's comment in one of the threads made me do a double take, like "is this a trick question?". Anyway...it is my understanding that for all intents and purposes (though at advanced levels maybe not always) a light year is a measure of distance, that being the distance light travels in one year. Er...right?
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What'd I do...post again on autopilot?

Where / What / When??? :D

A light year (LY) is a unit of distance, not time.

You've got me worried now. :(

Edit: I just did a search for "light year", all terms, me as poster, for posts not topics and came up with only this one. :?

What gives?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:What'd I do...post again on autopilot?

Where / What / When??? :D
I am a nincompoop. It was GP who mentioned it in the Dune Novels thread, not the Chiggster. My Phad. ;)

viewtopic.php?p=6585#6585
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

Hmm, I'd have checked on Wiki' or some online encyclopedia if I wasn't sure what a technical term like that means...

I'm happy to say though, yes, you ARE a nincompoop.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

The distance light travels in a year.

Light travels roughly 300,000 kilometers per second (one light second). Hence during a year, light will travel 9,460,730,472,580.8 kilometers. Now, no one wants to constantly say "Hey, Proxima Centauri is 39,924,282,594,290.976 kilometers away" especially since most people will be laughing at the topic of conversation before you even get to the figure just mentioned :) But seriously, 39 trillon kilometers away is just too burdensome to use; who can work with numbers like that, let along imagine them? So a term like "light year" can be used to better reduce the distance to a manageable 4.22 light years distance to Proxima Centauri.

There's no harm in asking. In fact, you might remember the concept easier if you discuss it with others, like us.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Orald, you're such a meanie. Go back to bed for a while and get up on the other side already, why doncha?

I read that post by GP after posting here and figured out the source of confusion (it wasn't a mistake), Spicey. No problem.

I think GP (who'll always be a sweet Vulcan boy named T'pog to me) was just pointing out that there are a lot of people who don't get it that a light year is a unit of distance, not one of speed, as an example of the general ignorance abounding out there. It was maybe a little confusing in the context of a discussion of STL vs FTL in the pre-prequels. ;)

Added: GP, he knew the difference, just got thrown by your e.g. ;)
Last edited by SandChigger on 15 Apr 2008 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

GamePlayer wrote:The distance light travels in a year.

Light travels roughly 300,000 kilometers per second (one light second). Hence during a year, light will travel 9,460,730,472,580.8 kilometers. Now, no one wants to constantly say "Hey, Proxima Centauri is 39,924,282,594,290.976 kilometers away" especially since most people will be laughing at the topic of conversation before you even get to the figure just mentioned :) But seriously, 39 trillon kilometers away is just too burdensome to use; who can work with numbers like that, let along imagine them? So a term like "light year" can be used to better reduce the distance to a manageable 4.22 light years distance to Proxima Centauri.

There's no harm in asking. In fact, you might remember the concept easier if you discuss it with others, like us.
Oh, I was 99.9% sure I was right. Just making sure. :)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:Orald, you're such a meanie. Go back to bed for a while and get up on the other side already, why doncha?

I read that post by GP after posting here and figured out the source of confusion (it wasn't a mistake), Spicey. No problem.

I think GP (who'll always be a sweet Vulcan boy named T'pog to me) was just pointing out that there are a lot of people who don't get it that a light year is a unit of distance, not one of speed, as an example of the general ignorance abounding out there. It was maybe a little confusing in the context of a discussion of STL vs FTL in the pre-prequels. ;)

Added: GP, he knew the difference, just got thrown by your e.g. ;)
Yeah, s'all good. I've got 10 credit hours in calculus based physics from way back in the day, but I've forgotten a lot of it. I was going to mention astronomical units and parsecs in my original post, but I didn't want to short-circuit any brains. Well, not much danger of that here, but apparantly that's a different matter over at DN. Wankers. They are so not Phoopy.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Orald, you're such a meanie. Go back to bed for a while and get up on the other side already, why doncha?
But it's empty and cold. :cry:

Well, OK, it's not cold in here, I wish it was. :?

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Should I start a new thread titled "What the fuck is a kilometer?"

Come on, guys. Rule 5. Speak English!

:wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well, I hope I wasn't that confusing My Chigga :) But not to worry Spicelon, you had it mostly right. And you eventually chose to join Jacurutu, which automatically means you're very intelligent :)

BOOYAH! :)

Omphalos
Oh, oh, oh! Which paraphrase should I use? :)
PINTEL: Parley? Down to the depths whatever man that thought up the word "parley!"

JACK: That would be the French.
or better yet...
JULES: You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in France?

BRETT: No.

JULES: Tell 'em, Vincent.

VINCENT: Royale with Cheese.

JULES: Royale with Cheese, you know why they call it that?

BRETT: Because of the metric system?

JULES: Check out the big brain on Brett. You'a smart motherfucker, that's right. The metric system.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

:P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Omphalos wrote:

Should I start a new thread titled "What the fuck is a kilometer?"

damn it..you stole my exact words

"what the fuck is a kilometer' is exactly what i was gonna say...bastard
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
orald

Post by orald »

Ah, anglo-sucksons* and their stupid measurement units.
When o' when will they advance to better, more natural ways of measuring? :roll:

*Yes, I know it's a typo. Figure it out.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

orald wrote:Ah, anglo-sucksons* and their stupid measurement units.
When o' when will they advance to better, more natural ways of measuring? :roll:

What do you use, cubits?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:Should I start a new thread titled "What the fuck is a kilometer?"

Thank you, what kind of jibber-jabber is that anyway? I actually saw the speed limit marked in kilometers in southern Arizona a few weeks ago.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Freakzilla wrote:

What do you use, cubits?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

I've actually heard a reasonable explanation to why Han says this.
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

The Sons of Idaho wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Damit,man ! Don't keep us waiting !!! :shock:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:
The Sons of Idaho wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see it too.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Han shot first! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:

What do you use, cubits?
:lol:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
The Sons of Idaho

Post by The Sons of Idaho »

Rakis wrote:
The Sons of Idaho wrote:

Well...

For any who don't know, this seems to make no sense because a parsec is a unit of distance, not time or velocity.

And the explanation -
The Kessel Run is full of hazardous gravity wells (black holes or something similar) which need to be avoided. So ships end up taking the long way around these instead of traveling in a straight line. A faster ship is able to travel closer to these gravity wells without getting pulled in. The faster the ship, the less of a "weaving" pattern, you have to fly, thus cutting down on the Falcon's space-mileage while getting through this region.

And there it is. The speed of the Millenium Falcon allowed it to make the Kessel run in less distance.

Now I have to say, this seems unlikely that this was the writer's intent in writing this line. I'm sure it was actually a mistake, and this explanation was thought up later by fan-boys to protect the infallability of the great GL.

And damn right Han shot first!
How simple things were when our messiah was only a dream...
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote:What do you use, cubits?
No, I use F/F/F.

Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

orald wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:What do you use, cubits?
No, I use F/F/F.
:?: