God Particle

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

God Particle

Post by Nekhrun »

This may be old newsto some, but I find it interesting/ironic that the key scientist in this research hates the nickname and is an atheist. Some guys just can't get a break.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

This reminds me of a joke. Why'd the tachyon cross the road? Because it was on the other side :)

Stuff like this always bothers me. It's not discovering anything, so why is it news? Like Tachyons, the Higgs Boson would be awfully convenient were it true, but it might not be. Worse still, the reality could be something completely different.

I'm hitting the snooze button on this one. :lol:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

There are so many theories waiting to be proved or not by the “vast particle collider at the CERN research centre on the Franco-Swiss border “ (which) “begins operating fully early next year.

I remember one scientist commenting that the collider will produce miniscule black holes which shouldn’t get out of control, you gotta love it, they shouldn’t get out of control. Let us hope not.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

inhuien wrote:There are so many theories waiting to be proved or not by the “vast particle collider at the CERN research centre on the Franco-Swiss border “ (which) “begins operating fully early next year.

I remember one scientist commenting that the collider will produce miniscule black holes which shouldn’t get out of control, you gotta love it, they shouldn’t get out of control. Let us hope not.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Accidents" involving black holes eating out giant hole/tunnels down to the core seem to feature a lot in Dan Simmons' stories. IIRC there was supposedly one such crater in Paris in Ilium/Olympos. :wink:

He also seems to like the idea of black holes that eat through down to the core and their inertia sends them almost all the way to the surface on the other side...at which point they fall back to the core...and keep going again...and...eventually swiss-cheese the planet. (I think the destruction of the Earth in the Hyperion books was a variation on this one?)

FUN TIMES! :roll:

:wink:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

I recall some short story about a black hole maintained in some deserted alien(?) facility on Mars, wich of course the humans accidently bust and it goes flying to the core...the conclusions being it'll destroy our system in some time.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:I recall some short story about a black hole maintained in some deserted alien(?) facility on Mars, wich of course the humans accidently bust and it goes flying to the core...the conclusions being it'll destroy our system in some time.
I was thinking of that one too. Was it Asimov?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think I've read all of Asimov's SF books but I don't remember that story. It does sound familiar though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Yes, I'm quite sure it was either Asimov or in some anthology he made, Omph.

When they shut down the energy field that holds it in place it goes through some guy and makes a hole the in diameter of pencil(?) right through him, from shoulder to hip or something, to show how tiny that black hole was, yet still destructive.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Two things :

1. An invisible field called the force... :lol: :lol: :lol: Really? This is where Lucas got it, right?... :lol:

CERN's new Large Hadron Collider (LHC) aims to simulate conditions at the time of that primeval inferno by smashing particles together at near light-speed and so unlock many secrets of the universe.
Yeah...and we always wonder how the last Big Bang began? :shock:
orald

Post by orald »

Rakis wrote:Yeah...and we always wonder how the last Big Bang began? :shock:
The last big bang began by Norma going back in time to set the universe according to her master-plan to eliminate the threat of Omnibus and Erroneous.
Unfortunately, she didn't seem to notice that she could've just bloody killed those "titans" before they came to power and be done with it. :roll:

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I kinda like that it doesn't make sense :)

orald

Post by orald »

Actually, as far as I understand it, it never says there was nothing in the begining. Quite the opposite- there was alot- the same mass as everything in the cosmos right now(you know, conservation of matter), just super condensed into one tiny area.

It's those creationist fucktards that bullshit about "nothing" to make it sound bad, same as they do about evolution.

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:Yes, I'm quite sure it was either Asimov or in some anthology he made, Omph.

When they shut down the energy field that holds it in place it goes through some guy and makes a hole the in diameter of pencil(?) right through him, from shoulder to hip or something, to show how tiny that black hole was, yet still destructive.
Actually I think it was an early Larry Niven story. The object, a quantum black hole, is in a telescope or something that they find in an abandoned alien lab on Mars. It is released and goes to the core of the planet when the humans monkey around with the device. And yea, I think it does a number on one of the guys.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked the older theory that the universe slowly stops expanding then collapses on itself into another big band. I have a hard time believing that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate. That just doesn't seem right to me.

But that implies that the past is infinite and that is equally disturbing. :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:
I liked the older theory that the universe slowly stops expanding then collapses on itself into another big band. I have a hard time believing that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Is it really expanding at an increasing rate? Because that would require it to be accelerating, which means there's a force counteracting gravity making it do that. That would be extremely disturbing.

For the sake of my sanity and the integrity of physics, it would have to be expanding at a decreasing rate, and eventually stop, and move back in(kthx for that, gravity). If it's accelerating outwards, we fucked up bigtime somewhere.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

IDK, Omph, it can be either way, but when I tried thinking of a name Asimov just popped up. Maybe it was just an anthology by him, like I said.

Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Phaedrus wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Is it really expanding at an increasing rate? Because that would require it to be accelerating, which means there's a force counteracting gravity making it do that. That would be extremely disturbing.

For the sake of my sanity and the integrity of physics, it would have to be expanding at a decreasing rate, and eventually stop, and move back in(kthx for that, gravity). If it's accelerating outwards, we fucked up bigtime somewhere.
That's Hubble's Law: Hubble, who had been the first to establish that the universe included many other galaxies outside of our own, noticed something else: the galaxies were receding from us at a velocity proportional to their distance. The more distant the galaxy, the greater its redshift, and therefore the higher the velocity, a relation known as Hubble's Law.

Here is an interesting site that explains it:

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia/Co ... ndUni.html
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Kind of depressing isn't it?
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote:Kind of depressing isn't it?
That you guys don't know jack about science and the universe?
Well, you should be depressed, puny mortals, or else I've done my job wrong. :twisted:

Look at it this way- you still have lots of stuff to discover, so you won't get madly bored like poor God Leto.

orald

Post by orald »

orald wrote:Actually, as far as I understand it, it never says there was nothing in the begining. Quite the opposite- there was alot- the same mass as everything in the cosmos right now(you know, conservation of matter), just super condensed into one tiny area.

It's those creationist fucktards that bullshit about "nothing" to make it sound bad, same as they do about evolution.
And here's the proof too:
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF140-Photo_Album.jpg

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I understand the theory. That's part of the joke of the picture, like the coming from apes fallacy. It's just a joke.
orald

Post by orald »

It is NO joke, mister. :x

Now get back to your sit and do your homework.

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I thought it was a clear point. Nonetheless, time to go on break again.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I kindda like the theory that the Big bang is the result of a big test like in the article...all other theories are disturbing, so this one is kind of a constant : Every 15 billions years or so, a jackass messes up things... :lol: