Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

distrans

when the hook loses it barb

Post by distrans »

don't know who will get this
and I suspect it a function of closing in on frank age in all of this

but I don't find contempary literature holding my interest

more in fact i find it downright insulting

that i would comensurate with the childern offerd up and the juvinile reason they have for acting being at all interesting to me

i suspect that as i approach franks age i will lose interest in his work

anyone?
SadisticCynic

Re: when the hook loses it barb

Post by SadisticCynic »

There are some sentences here that I don't understand, but I think I can relate to some of your thoughts.

I once believed that if I had a sublime experience with a book, film, piece of music or whatever, that I would never find something that so deeply affects me again. So far, this belief has not been justified by experience. There's always something there to blow my mind. Whether that can continue indefinitely is another question, I guess.

I have wondered about the age problem, and I think it has more to do with experience than age. Maybe Herbert's work (to use him as an example) was so effective because it was the first time I came across such ideas. Then it seems similar things will not have the same impact, since I'm already familiar with the concepts. Instead, other works give me a chance to reflect upon and deepen my appreciation for such concepts. Related to the previous paragraph, I've then wondered if the supply of such thoughts is limited, in the following sense: People write, inspired by their experience and thoughts from their past. These things typically target certain age groups, e.g. Catcher in the Rye's appeal to a certain class of teenager (although the groupings have loose boundaries), and as we age perhaps we run out of people who are writing 'above' us in a way that can still resonate. Somehow the pool of people who can significantly affect you thins out.

I guess the goal should be to be able to let go of the hook once it slips out of your flesh, and continue to search for new hooks all your life, instead of letting the old one fester and rot. Passion is no less intense for being temporary.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: when the hook loses it barb

Post by Omphalos »

I have given up entirely on new SF. There is absolutely nothing good being written today. Same as with music.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!