mcdune- triumphant 2016 release

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

D Pope

mcdune- triumphant 2016 release

Post by D Pope »

There's something new on the menu at mcdune, behold!
CHAPTER ONE OF NAVIGATORS OF DUNE:

All things begin, and all things end—there are no exceptions.
Or, is this a myth?
—Debating topic, the Mentat School

They plan to launch this at the public in September.
It's already Amazon Editors' "picks for the best books
of the month." Pre-orders must be a little less than
anticipated.

Has mcdune gone down the hellhole?

(in my best Edward G Robinson voice)
"Nyah! Where's your preeqs now keith?"
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Ampoliros

Re: mcdune- triumphant 2016 release

Post by Ampoliros »

considering the last two books, I doubt I could actually finish this new one to review it. They have steadily and consistently gotten worse, I can't remember any of the newer books that I felt had any kind of increase in literary quality.

The beginning chapter of Sisterhood did have a higher production quality, but as I said in my review of that book it was obvious they had actually bothered to have people go over it and try to fine tune it, but that was lost immediately after that first chapter.

I'm sure Navigators will just set up the need for yet another trilogy that 'explains how all the great schools and houses came about' but which won't do anything, other than cement the idea that anything cool in Dune was created by The Robot. I would not put it beyond KJA to have The Robot travel back in time to create the Spice and the Sandworms.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

If you're curious, there's a taste over at byrons hobby under news
& press. I'm not posting a link for reasons I've already discussed.
(The first lines)
The Emperor’s ceremonial barge orbited high above Salusa Secundus, in the midst of huge, ominous warships. Its interior glittered with gold and precious gems; its flashy hull was sculpted with curves and adornments that served no purpose. By far the most ostentatious vessel in the fleet, the barge was a stunning sight to those who were easily swayed by such things. Salvador had adored it.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

D Pope wrote:If you're curious, there's a taste over at byrons hobby under news
(The first lines)
The Emperor’s ceremonial barge orbited high above Salusa Secundus, in the midst of huge, ominous warships. Its interior glittered with gold and precious gems; its flashy hull was sculpted with curves and adornments that served no purpose. By far the most ostentatious vessel in the fleet, the barge was a stunning sight to those who were easily swayed by such things. Salvador had adored it.
:puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

So basically Salvador is a twit.
Ampoliros wrote:considering the last two books, I doubt I could actually finish this new one to review it. They have steadily and consistently gotten worse, I can't remember any of the newer books that I felt had any kind of increase in literary quality.
I'm with Amp on this one. I feel like I have done my part with the BH and KJA books, and can't muster the intestines to read another. Let someone young do it.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

This is what comes to mind when I contemplate any more mcdune books.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Worse, Salvador is the kind of idiotic useless twit that is that way only so that other people can appear clever around him, and so the plot to remove him has some kind of half-assed justification.

Good god just trying to remember details of him started to piss me off...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

This Reddit thread is hilarious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/ ... op_please/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Dune: Leto's Second Cousin's Chambermaid Stubs Her Toe: Part One of a New Octology" :lol:
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Naib

Post by Naib »

Bloody hell. :tissue2: :puke:

The sad thing is on the Tor (bastards!) website 75 93 people have already signed up to win a copy. Edjits.

I want a contest to let the winner to rectally feed all the McDunes to the abomination brothers.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Personally, I stopped at Sandworms... but if they somehow limp their way to a release of The Golden Path of Dune (I think it would be two more after this Navigators one) --their take on the God Emperor era, I might have to read it just for the laughs.

And yes, those opening lines are dreadful. I'd almost forgotten how bad KJA's writing is.
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

I stopped with Hunters.

Seriously, who told this twit he could write?

Even more to the point, which halfwits keep reading his books?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:I stopped with Hunters.

Seriously, who told this twit he could write?

Even more to the point, which halfwits keep reading his books?
People will read McDune, people will vote for Trump. All of this has happened before and will happen again.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's out and there's already an Amazon review: https://www.amazon.com/Navigators-Dune- ... rs+of+dune" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's hope this is their LAST McDune book.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:
Amen brother.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Freakzilla wrote:
I wouldn't bet on it :?

13717301_10210018032309834_7739626357080519590_o.jpg
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

ᴶᵛᵀᴬ wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I wouldn't bet on it :?

13717301_10210018032309834_7739626357080519590_o.jpg
I doubt that my ideas about what constitutes good Dune news and their ideas about the same are in congruence.

Goodnight Golden Path!
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Only two 'reviews' on Amam'zon but I thought these were interesting things for preeqs to write.
The premise and story telling is great. What I found wrong with this was they made out like Vorian was raised and lived on Corrin when he was still a trustee for Omnius, and that is not the case. He only ever went to Corrin on update runs.
This book would not be complete without the ongoing Harkonnen-Atredies feud, with Valya, head of the sister but also a Harkonnen, fighting agains Vorian Arteries, now old and maintaining his age of 200 years quite well.
...and...
The ending insures that the Atredies-Harkonnen war will continue.
Ten thousand years will pass before the events of Dune: House Atredies take place, but to the characters of the Dune universe, this amount of time passes like nothing.

...and now your two minutes of hate...
The chapters are short, to get the story moving, but the book is a good 400 pages, and in the last quarter is where the real action takes place, with the the three-way war and the two-family conflict. All these books leads you to understand the original DUNE book better by telling the history of Dune, constantly referred to in the original novel.
-Omphalos
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

D Pope wrote:If you're curious, there's a taste over at byrons hobby under news

yeah, I've been gone awhile - are you saying dunenovels is back up?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

nevermind, just looked. Forum is still dead - how long now? Years?

ain't that a cryin' goddamn shame?
:D
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I guess I just totally missed the Navigators of McDune - sorry, bobo! :(

last one I remember not giving a fuck about was Mentats - the one with the dragonriders of pern on the cover.
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

jeebus, that's still a pathetic effing website for a major franchise. Good for them, they fail at everything. Makes MY dick hard, anyway. ;)
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Hey Pope, are the reviews in the Amazon Basement worth mocking? Any good nervous preeks to terrorize? I guess my account's still there .... and I'm REALLY bored of trolling Drumpf groups on FB - TOO fucking easy ...
ImageImage

D Pope

Post by D Pope »

SandRider wrote:Hey Pope, are the reviews in the Amazon Basement worth mocking? Any good nervous preeks to terrorize? I guess my account's still there .... and I'm REALLY bored of trolling Drumpf groups on FB - TOO fucking easy ...
No.
There's nothing there, eight reviews right now & at least two of those have that paid for feel.
There may be a couple of preeqs to poke but the feeling I get is anything unsupportive will
send them running for a 'safe space.'

Couldn't help but wonder about this-
E. Fowler on September 22, 2016 wrote:After reading all the other comments I can only add that I thought from the description of the book on Amazon that we were to get close to "Dune" Not so! We are still a long way away! Also in another book that they wrote where all the people are in a space ship for years (can't remember the title) a voice come and it turns out to be Erasmus. Then Norma comes and stops him! Well in this book Herbert kills off Erasmus ? ? ? How did he come back. We know Norma can do all kinds of tricks. One has to wonder who wrote the books! Oh well I'd read more, but hurry up as I'm 85 and you have a lot of time to cover until you get the people back to Earth were it all started. Gosh we are not up to Dune yet!

This poor kid seems scattered enough to try to put up a fight- maybe.
KJASF disbanded?
-Omphalos
AnEhforanEh

Post by AnEhforanEh »

Kid?!
If I'm reading it right, that's an 85 year old man who is either showing signs of senility or has had his poor mind addled by NuDune drivel.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

AnEhforanEh wrote:Kid?!
If I'm reading it right, that's an 85 year old man who is either showing signs of senility or has had his poor mind addled by NuDune drivel.
Ha! It's possible you're not reading it right.
-Omphalos