Watch this KJA interview.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nebiros

Watch this KJA interview.

Post by Nebiros »

You will see him complain about the movie 'Man of Steel' and assert that his movie does more justice to portraying Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yHe688G59g

edit:

OOPS! I mean book. Sorry I miss typed.
Last edited by Nebiros on 26 Mar 2015 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
lotek

Re: Watch this KJA interview.

Post by lotek »

Complaining about people not respecting canon. He would know.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I can not watch this.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

I got a few good laughs out of that.

"... My Dune books ... " few sentences later ".... My Dune books I wrote with Frank Herbert's son ... " (emphasis on how quietly and quickly he said that part).

I really got a laugh out of that guy asking tehKJA how much research he did for Last Days of Krypton :lol: And Kieth fumbling to at least say something.

Its funny how he thinks Zac Snyder should have used his book as a source for Man of Steel and how Synder is ripping him off for Batman v Superman.

And finally this gem I'm paraphrasing:

Interviewer: ... I was surprised Last Days of Krypton wasn't an adaptation of source material but a complete reimagining....

tehKja:
Well Paul Levitz did like my Dune books ...
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Love how he compares himself to George Martin. Tool.

He makes it "rigorously make sense." What a wordsmith.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

This interview actually didn't bother me so much, although the constant references to "his Dune novels" were pathetic.

I think this is probably where KJA is the most successful as an author - playing around in someone else's universe, where if he goes too far off the rails it doesn't really matter. His X-files books were okay for what they were. It sounds like these additions to the DC universe aren't universally hated, because they are somewhat "outside" the mainstream of the canon - so they are either "really cool extrapolations" (if you like them), or easily ignored (if not).

Where he gets into trouble, I think, is when he tries to play with others in a universe that is fairly well defined (and therefore more constrained), like Star Wars. Or he tries to write novels in a universe where the originals are very well-written and the universe is complex and subtle (Dune).

The problem is that I think he uses the same writing approach in all cases. He takes a few well-known aspects or events from the universe, and tries to think up a way to make them bigger or cooler, but without paying enough attention to the source material. It doesn't help that, as in the case of Dune, the originals were written by an author in a totally different league from him.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Another one from the same con, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY4fa3Iz2zE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Just seeing some of the titles Frank used to help percolate his ideas makes this shit out of the hacks mouth even more infuriating because he is so superficial.

Rob
lotek

Post by lotek »

It's great he found a way to let simpletons know they're not alone, and that he will cater for their special needs, I'm all for care in the community, but just leave the cool stuff to the ones who know Keith, and all will be well.
Now put the Dune down, slowly.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Hunchback Jack wrote:. It sounds like these additions to the DC universe aren't universally hated, because they are somewhat "outside" the mainstream of the canon - so they are either "really cool extrapolations" (if you like them), or easily ignored (if not).
That's one of the things about established comic books heroes though, they're kinda like the Looney Tunes characters in that, apart from the defining character traits, one story doesn't necessarily need to effect the next. The Coyote can actually die pursuing the Roadrunner in one short, or part of a short, and when you bring him back it isn't questioned. It doesn't need to be. I honestly think superhero comics write themselves into a corner where they worry to much about a universal canon, in part because you constantly have to raise the stakes over and over for the conflict to have any meaning. (This is how the Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to fall apart.) That's also why the most memorable stories of the last 25 years or more in superhero comics have been the spin-offs like, Dark Knight Returns, Red Son or Kingdom Come. There is a good and proper place for things like the Last Days of Krypton. However, McDune is presenting itself as canon in a universe with consequences

The problem is, particularly with Dune, as Hunchback said that not every story is about making a bigger and badder conflict. Dune has one big "Hurray" climax and then spends two books deconstructing that moment, making the painful cost of that victory the fore. The point of Dune is not the Hero's triumph over bigger and bigger circumstances, it's about the costs that a hero imposes on the the universe and on himself, and beyond that it is about humanity over coming the flaw that we desire to pass our personal responsibilities over to a hero, even a worthy one.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Serkanner wrote:I can not watch this.
I clicked on it, but fuck me if I'm giving Keith 23 minutes.

fuck that noise.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

It's a smug dog going into battle.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

"Batman is just a rich guy with cool toys" is all you need to know about KJA's level of research.

And of course he feels like everyone else is ripping him off. What's that saying about hating in others the flaws you see in yourself?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Actually, he's either pissed that they ripped him off, or miffed that they didn't use his additions to the canon as the basis for the movie of same.

Because, either way, he doesn't get paid. Or the credit.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks