Doctor Who

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Lawliet

Doctor Who

Post by Lawliet »

Are there any whovians here? Doctor Who is one of my favorite shows, although I admit I still haven't seen much of the classic era apart from the Tom Baker years. David Tennant is my favorite Doctor, and I think Karen Gillan has been the best companion so far. Peter Capaldi is doing a great job as the twelfth Doctor.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Ampoliros

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm watching it right now, starting with the classics. About to finish the Second Doctor. He grows on you, but I loved the first one.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Naib

Post by Naib »

I'm a long time Who fan. Pertwee was my first Doctor and watched until it ended, then started up again with the new Who.

Capaldi is by far the best new Doctor, but the stories this series, like all the new series, have been consistently weak. Wrapping everything up in a neat package in the last five minutes is getting tiresome. I wish they'd go back to the old format of 4 episode stories. Take some time, build some suspense, tell a good story. Won't happen as long as Moffat's in charge though.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:I'm watching it right now, starting with the classics. About to finish the Second Doctor. He grows on you, but I loved the first one.
You mean from the 50's or 60's or whenever they actually started?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yep, '64 I believe it was. Quite a few episodes are in a reconstructed state.

And yeah I think if the new series doesn't do the long-form serials it will take away from the series.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I used to watch the ones with guy with teh scarf. Pretty sure that was in the 80s. My brother got me interested, but I never got too deeply into it. I hear the new ones are good though.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Aquila ka Hecate

Post by Aquila ka Hecate »

My Doctors were Troughton and Pertwee; I think that's Doctors 2 and 3.

Then a big gap and Matt Smith.

I haven't caught up with no. 12 yet though.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm on Pertwee now, and love him too. Each Doctor has made the role their own without stomping on the role. I do get disappointed when they give the doctor a strong companion then take them out to put someone in who is more 'audience friendly'. Pertwee's first companions was great, a strong female scientist role with a preference for miniskirts.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I came in with Tom Baker. Couldn't stand Peter Davidson but didn't hate the Baker clone that followed.
I really thought that Sylvester McCoy was the best Doctor since Tom and finally coming into his own
when F*N Spielberg bought the show.
:happy-smileyinthebox:
could've sworn there was a tardis in there somewhere
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Pertwee's son Sean is currently playing Alfred Pennyworth in Fox's new show Gotham (good show, btw).

When Doctor Who still did the long–form serials, each episode was only about 25 minutes, so I really don't think there's much of a difference.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Well the shortest serials were 4 episodes so like a 2-parter. The average was about 4-6 for each serial with the longest being 10 and 12. So more like a miniseries with the same characters.

There is some great stuff in the classic Who.
JasonJD48

Post by JasonJD48 »

I'm a Whovian, loving Capaldi, but then again, he's great in everything he's in.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I first started watching at the end of the Pertwee era; Tom Baker ('74-'81) is "my" Doctor, though, and still my favourite. Peter Davison was also okay, but I lost interest during his tenure. Never really got into Doctors six or seven.

My interest was reignited when the series was rebooted back in '05, and I really liked Doctors 9 (Eccleston) and 10 (Tennant), with 11 (Smith) almost as good. I actually lose interest in the latest series, and only watched 5 or 6 episodes. Capaldi was fine, as was Coleman, but the stories just weren't very meaty.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Whoever this guy is turned me off and I never watched it again.

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I just remembered he lived in a phone box.
Spice is the worm's gonads.