That's no moon...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I was reading more of Consider Phlebas after getting home tonight and came across the perfect quote for your ilk.

But it's not worth running upstairs to get the book at the moment, so I'll post it later when I get back up this morning.

(I do feel bad for you that Nature has not equipped you with the mental capacity to overcome the parental abuse of religious indoctrination and/or that Life has so abused you that turning off what faculties you do have seemed a viable solution. :( )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm ever so curious of what line from Consider Phlebas you're referring. Ack, the suspense is killing me! :)

(btw, I hope you're enjoying the book)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:I was reading more of Consider Phlebas after getting home tonight and came across the perfect quote for your ilk.

But it's not worth running upstairs to get the book at the moment, so I'll post it later when I get back up this morning.

(I do feel bad for you that Nature has not equipped you with the mental capacity to overcome the parental abuse of religious indoctrination and/or that Life has so abused you that turning off what faculties you do have seemed a viable solution. :( )
Not my favorite book, good author but it just didn't do it for me.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Well, remember that I've been immersing myself in offal for so long that anyone who can write even halfway well looks brilliant. But I am quite enjoying Banks and probably would still think him brill even without the unfortunate Anderson/Herbert "whore derves". ;) )

Without further ado...

A Bit of Banks for El Bambino del Big Sky Daddy:

Horza recalled that the Culture's attitude to somebody who believed in an omnipotent God was to pity them, and to take no more notice of the substance of their faith than one would take of the ramblings of somebody claiming to be Emperor of the Universe. The nature of the belief wasn't totally irrelevant—along with the person's background and upbringing, it might tell you something about what had gone wrong with them—but you didn't take their views seriously. (Iain M. Banks, Consider Phlebas, p. 157)
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote:I was reading more of Consider Phlebas after getting home tonight and came across the perfect quote for your ilk.

analytical, yes....but not quite disco
I indoctrinated my self with the help of Divine Revelation thru Discerning of the information I acquired while studying on my own and with the help of people including the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Last edited by Fantômas on 18 Apr 2008 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Discernation" is not even a word. Your use of an infinitival modifier ("to include") implies a future event. Bizarre, to say the least.

My observation is that "Divine Revelation" is generally brought out whenever someone wants to validate some harebrained notion that came to them in a more profound than usual state of befuddlement.

Giving the Jehovah's Witnesses anything other than the time of day or a gentle bit of advice (such as "Get the fuck off my property or I'll let the dog out.") was your first mistake.

No, strike that. I imagine it was just another in a long line of them.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote: My observation is that "Divine Revelation" is generally brought out whenever someone wants to validate some harebrained notion that came to them in a more profound than usual state of befuddlement.
Your quite correct Sir. and sometimes I ask if the "Revelation" is not
a "harebrained" idea placed in my thoughts by the adversary.

I fixed the sentence, thank you. 8)

As for the many mistakes, I confess there are so many of them. :cry:

PS You are as ruthless with your red pen as Dr. Oseroff is with his.
Dr. Oseroff: my English teacher, a Christian Scientist, a staunch Republican, an Ultra Right soldier, an American. :D

I do appreciate your corrections,
always. :wink:
Sunshine
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, if your belief in Big Sky Daddy and "the adversary" keep you from running around raping and pillaging, who am I to naysay? :roll:

Whatever churns your exile birdbath.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

fantomas wrote:Your quite correct Sir. and sometimes I ask if the "Revelation" is not a "harebrained" idea placed in my thoughts by the adversary.
Be a man and take credit for your own hairbrained ideas. The voices in your head are you.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote:Well, if your belief in Big Sky Daddy and "the adversary" keep you from running around raping and pillaging, who am I to naysay? :roll:

Whatever churns your exile birdbath.
It is not spiritual knowledge that keeps me from killing a few possesed animals; it is my upbringing by my parents that did that.

As for raping, have you been watching Reefer madness

or are you just mad.
@ me?
@ the world?
@ your self for getting bored all of the time?
@ the Mexicans
and by the way....
There is not a good god damned reason why anyone should get bored.

If you are just intolerable towards....some things, Get a hobbie !
Don't work so hard.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

Freakzilla wrote:
fantomas wrote:Your quite correct Sir. and sometimes I ask if the "Revelation" is not a "harebrained" idea placed in my thoughts by the adversary.
Be a man and take credit for your own hairbrained ideas. The voices in your head are you.
Ok,Ok Your right, my brain, my ideas. According to the "faith", ideas and thoughts can be implanted. I've asked my self many times if the thoughts in my head at times are from God, adversary, or my own.
I have a choice to act upon the thoughts, for I have free will.

Believe me, you do not want me to free willy.
We all possess the potential to do great harm, and great good!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

My gawd...I've acquired an imbecile as a life coach?

What does that say? :shock:
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

SandChigger wrote::shock:

My gawd...I've acquired an imbecile as a life coach?

What does that say? :shock:
I Love You Too. I mean it!

Now, where were we?

Yes, imbecile...it says that ...although your mind says no, your heart yearns for lucidity where darkness has encroached.

Don't be so cheap to your self, replace the light bulb. Try halogen lights! :D
Last edited by Fantômas on 18 Apr 2008 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Sodium lights are even better, they make the flowers grow! :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Chiggy wrote:and to take no more notice of the substance of their faith than one would take of the ramblings of somebody claiming to be Emperor of the Universe.
Yea, that's totally insane. I mean, c'mon, God Emperor of Earth is possible, just look at me and my glorious, godly reign.
But the universe? That just won't hold together. :roll:
fantomas wrote:I've asked my self many times if the thoughts in my head at times are from God, adversary, or my own.
It's the aliens, man! Wear the goddamned tinfoil already! :shock:

And I'll admit it's no one but me who keeps telling me to kill stuff. :twisted:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

orald wrote:
fantomas wrote:I've asked my self many times if the thoughts in my head at times are from God, adversary, or my own.
It's the aliens, man! Wear the goddamned tinfoil already! :shock:
You think I can get better reception by wearing tinfoil on my head? :D
I'll try it!

another one off my "things to do before I go Big Sky" list.
Well, you do not go Big Sky directly. There is a process.

How do you know you do not like it, if you have not tried it. :roll:
Right Orald? :shock:

If I did not know better, I would say someone has a one track mind. The sunlight depravation suffered by the Sativa-Indica hybrids is the result of a well planned government plot to discredit Al Gore. :?
orald

Post by orald »

fantomas wrote:Well, you do not go Big Sky directly. There is a process.
Which involves inhaling large volumes of cannabis smoke? :lol:
fantomas wrote:How do you know you do not like it, if you have not tried it. :roll:

Yea, you should totally try out bum sex.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Fantômas

Post by Fantômas »

orald wrote:
fantomas wrote:Well, you do not go Big Sky directly. There is a process.
Which involves inhaling large volumes of cannabis smoke? :lol:/quote]

Is that you Rasta?
I forward man, you know him advancing 'cause his time be short man.
JAH no dead, JAH no dead.
Babylon gonna fall!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:(Well, remember that I've been immersing myself in offal for so long that anyone who can write even halfway well looks brilliant. But I am quite enjoying Banks and probably would still think him brill even without the unfortunate Anderson/Herbert "whore derves". ;) )

Without further ado...

A Bit of Banks for El Bambino del Big Sky Daddy:

Horza recalled that the Culture's attitude to somebody who believed in an omnipotent God was to pity them, and to take no more notice of the substance of their faith than one would take of the ramblings of somebody claiming to be Emperor of the Universe. The nature of the belief wasn't totally irrelevant—along with the person's background and upbringing, it might tell you something about what had gone wrong with them—but you didn't take their views seriously. (Iain M. Banks, Consider Phlebas, p. 157)
Ah, fantastic quote. I really want to re-read Consider Phlebas now that we've been taking about it so much, but I'm currently reading so much else. No time! :(
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:wink:

I'm going to be well-steeped in Banks by the time I'm done: I ordered all the Culture novels, including Matter.

THAT's how much stock I put in youse-guys' opinions.

(If that doesn't scare you, I have other ways. :twisted: )