Another beloved IP being destroyed by new caretakers?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

leagued

Another beloved IP being destroyed by new caretakers?

Post by leagued »

http://io9.com/is-disney-about-to-destr ... -470481676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm losing faith in Disney. JJ Abrams didn't give me hope, axing Clone Wars infuriated me, shuttering LucasArts made the trend obvious (3 data points gives you a trend). I don't follow much of the Dark Horse comics but I've heard some good things- particularly Brian Wood's recent contributions- so I'd consider it another fail on their part if they shut it down. And giving the middle finger to the entire EU would complete what I'm seeing as a horrible mismanagement of a valuable property.

Now if they said all the KJA books never happened while saving Zahn, Allston, Denning, Stackpole, and others then that would be awesome sauce.
LeagueD
lotek

Re: Another beloved IP being destroyed by new caretakers?

Post by lotek »

All I think is summed up in that picture.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I couldn't care less.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
leagued

Post by leagued »

Serkanner wrote:I couldn't care less.
Thanks for stopping by!
LeagueD
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Hmm, while I'm not one to take Star Wars seriously, Clone Wars has been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. It's been a lot better than any of the recent movies. and they managed to turn Anakin Skywalker into a believable, likeable character whose 'turn to the Dark side' is still completely plausible--no mean feat.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

This can go in two completely different directions. I like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, but even then I think he's often over-rated. I hope they get 3 different and great directors for each film, I'd love to see Whedon do a Star Wars, and maybe even Sam Raimi or Quentin Tarantino.

That being said Disney is as good at ruining an IP as it is at leaving important IP's to the right people.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:This can go in two completely different directions. I like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, but even then I think he's often over-rated. I hope they get 3 different and great directors for each film, I'd love to see Whedon do a Star Wars, and maybe even Sam Raimi or Quentin Tarantino.

That being said Disney is as good at ruining an IP as it is at leaving important IP's to the right people.
You're just about the first person whose opinion I respect and often agree with who has said that the new Star Trek was likable.I agree.

As for the "Expanded Universe" being on the chopping block, bout fucking time. Off with its 'ead!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Ampoliros wrote:This can go in two completely different directions. I like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, but even then I think he's often over-rated. I hope they get 3 different and great directors for each film, I'd love to see Whedon do a Star Wars, and maybe even Sam Raimi or Quentin Tarantino.

Even though i hate Star Wars, i would love to see a SW movie by Whedon. I'd actually pay for that.

Sam Raimi is probably the most over-rated director in the world right now. Hate every single one of the movies that i've seen from him.

Tarantino doing a Star Wars? :lol: That would be interesting. Certainly fun and entertaining to see, but i think most of the fans of the franchise would end up hating him. I don't think he could do a good science fiction film.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Omphalos wrote:You're just about the first person whose opinion I respect and often agree with who has said that the new Star Trek was likable.I agree.
"Star Trek" has been about flogging a dead horse for more than a decade, anyway. But JJ Abrams' movie felt more like an animated carcass than anything else. Which is entertaining in and of itself; I look forward to a franchise I care less about receiving the same treatment.
leagued

Post by leagued »

I find Abrams' directorial style- close shots, quick-cuts, shaky cam, terrible fight choreography- a very poor match for Star Wars. SW movies should be directed by someone with a more Kurosawa or Sergio Leone style- big, wide shots; steady camera; sweeping panoramas. Of course, his filmography as a director is pretty limited (MI:3, Star Trek, Super 8... end of list) so maybe he can change his style a bit in order to fit in with the other SW films. Regardless, I think he's very overrated- again see his incredibly limited directorial filmography- and the big hullabaloo over him getting Ep 7 is annoying for that reason if nothing else.
LeagueD
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

MI:3 was total shit. Fuck that movie. I had forgotten it was Abrams.

I feel like Abrams is basically genius level entertainer for an LCD world, which means he's operating at the "normal" level.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

leagued wrote:
Serkanner wrote:I couldn't care less.
Thanks for stopping by!
You're welcome.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."