How hot are you?

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

We get upwards of 112 F in the summer for at least two days per year, but our winters are very mild. Never in the 40's for long, and now that we have global warming, not very rainy either.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Currently 0 degrees celsius (32 Fahrenheit) and partly cloudy in the City of Toronto. Mid-November and no snow; now this is my idea of a nice winter. I love living here. Compared to where I used to live (Alberta) the east coast is awesome. Mild winters, longer summers and we actually get spring and fall here :)

In Northern Alberta and southern Manitoba, winter reaches a whole new definition. It can get -40 degrees celsius (-40 degree Fahrenheit...weird how that works) in the dead of winter. Then you have British Columbia on the opposite end of the spectrum, where it's possible to go an entire year without snow. Damn them! :)

In summers, Canada can get insanely hot. I'm not sure why, but in the middle of summer it can roast here. I've endured 36 degrees celsius (96.8 Fahrenheit) in Calgary in July. Toronto reached 40 degrees celsius last year in summer (104 Fahrenheit) and wouldn't let go for several weeks. Damn that was hot for a North American like myself :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Is it humid there, GP? We regularly get 100+ degree days in the Central Valley here, but its pretty dry in the summers. Quite comfortable actually. I lived in DC for a long time, and it would get to be like 100, 101 there, but the humidity was so bad you literally could not breathe the air. I am so glad to be away from there.

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Toronto is generally humid. If you come from a dry climate like I did, it can take 6 months to a year to adjust. I wouldn't call the humidity oppressive or extreme. I know when I went to Hawaii, the humidity change was so drastic it felt like I was lacking for air. That's definitely not the same effect here, but it can be uncomfortable to a degree.

Calgary (and most of Alberta) is hideously dry. Hand cream was for pansies...until I moved to Calgary. In the middle of summer, your nose would dry out and sometimes bleed. Most of the province becomes a land of dust in the mid summers, no doubt why everyone loves filming westerns in Alberta :)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well this is today, not yesterday. We do have a little snow since the snowfall last night, but it's slowly melting.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

You need to add a little excitement to your life. Try drinking at work! Nothing makes a day more memorable than adding a little sauce to the workplace :)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

GamePlayer wrote:You need to add a little excitement to your life. Try drinking at work! Nothing makes a day more memorable than adding a little sauce to the workplace :)
Word, I just had some coffee that I Irish'd up a wee bit. :wink:
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Been snowing here for the past couple days. Nothing more than a few centimeters though. My hands felt frostbitten, after I was done clearing the snow from my car. Freezing this morning!
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: How hot are you?

Post by SandChigger »

Not ... at all.

The fucking rainy season started today, it looks like, so it's gray and wet and cool. Grrrrr. I really hate this country during this part of the year.

What pisses me off most is it hasn't really even been all that nice a spring or early summer yet. It's rained most weekends already and now this shit. Fuck. :evil:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

We are in the middle of the most beautiful springtimes I have ever experienced. Cool weather, nice breezes, sunny skies. it is absolutely perfect here in Nor Cal. Reminds me why I moved here in the first place.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

It was suppose to have gotten up to 91 today (Wednesday) but I don't know if it did or not. Right now it is 77 degrees [F] at 1216 a.m. (Thursday morning). We are suppose to be in the upper 80s for the next several days w/chances of scattered Thunderstorms everynight. So far we haven't recieved the storm for tonight, at least in my little area.

So I guess one might consider us....hot. ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Grump grump grump.... :twisted:

Well ... at least it's stopped raining here for the moment. :(
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

smile. Think of all those pretty flowers the rain will bring.
:clap:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

101 degrees on the Staked Plains today, strong south wind,
lotsa dust and hot air blowing on you ...

or that's what they said.

I was in a bar all day.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Good man.

I wish I had been. :P

(In a bar all day, I mean. I'm always "good". And usually a man. Except on Halloween. Which isn't for a few more months yet. Nevermind.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It was 95F in Atlanta yesterday. They also lifted some of the drought restrictions yesterday. Usually during the summer it rains every afternoon and it looks like that cycle has begun again. Great for the water table, bad for traffic. But then, sunshine is bad for traffic too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

We had a hot, extended spring that came early, but summer for the last 2-3 weeks has been lousy. It feels like fall, not summer. :mad:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:It was 95F in Atlanta yesterday. They also lifted some of the drought restrictions yesterday. Usually during the summer it rains every afternoon and it looks like that cycle has begun again. Great for the water table, bad for traffic. But then, sunshine is bad for traffic too.
That is one thing we still have here in the Central Vallye. Water restrictions that is. We had decent, though below average rainfall during the rainy season here. But after three years of bone dry winters, our reservoirs are still mighty low.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Don't think I've ever had water restrictions. How does that work? No hosing the gardens etc?

Temperature is about 15 during the day I'd guess (haven't looked at a thermometer) but there were a couple of days last week at about 30 I think. Way too warm for me, I prefer autumn weather.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:Don't think I've ever had water restrictions. How does that work? No hosing the gardens etc?

Temperature is about 15 during the day I'd guess (haven't looked at a thermometer) but there were a couple of days last week at about 30 I think. Way too warm for me, I prefer autumn weather.
No outdoor water usage is usually the highest level. The fines for getting caught doing so are pretty heavy, so I hear.

I believe we've been lowered to an odd-even schedule, meaning odd addresses can water on odd days, etc.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

For us its sprinklers only (no irrigation save for ag) on odd/even days, no water for cleaning driveways, no washing the car, and for the very few houses that are water-metered in Sacto, possible excess usage fees.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Does that mean no veggie garden? :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:Does that mean no veggie garden? :shock:

I think you can still have those, but mainly using what some people don't have....Common sense.

No washing the cars or the house. Making sure you don't have excess spray over (water onto the road) if you are allowed to water the grass.

My little area of the state is out of drought level for now, but I still try to use the water wisely. We are on a well system so I am very aware that if my well runs dry then so will we.

And as far as the temps, I think they have changed the last forecast and instead of in the upper 80s we are suppose to be in the lower 90s with continued scattered thunderstorms.

June in NC. You gotta love it.
NotAbout

Post by NotAbout »

Lately its been a rather warm winter here in Perth. Right now the sun is shining with no clouds in the sky. Almost short and t-shirt weather, maybe slightly too cool for that.

Basically its been the driest winter on record so far, we're supposed to be having rain but we've got this mid-spring-like days instead. Theres talk of having water restrictions here too.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I've avoided replying in here for fear of more stereotypical bitching and I'm sure you're all getting bored with that record but after the 36th month of the current Monsoon (Aye I ken that's a wind) I can take it no more. If I see one more wee sneaky raindrop I'll have it.

Even the Ducks are fucking off.