Disney Buys Lucasfilm; New SW film immediately announced

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Disney Buys Lucasfilm; New SW film immediately announced

Post by Sandwurm88 »

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/20 ... erds.html/

I honestly don't care as much as I thought I would. The prequel trilogy was probably a greater affront to the series as a whole, and the original three will be the ones with lasting value. Like the BH and KJA stuff, all this extra bull will fade into history, leaving the originals standing.

Also, I'm not even a big Star Wars fan to be honest. I've watched the whole trilogy like two or three times tops. Pretty much just a rip-off of much better SF novels and short stories that came before. The LOTR movies were much better.

Thoughts?
ULFsurfer

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm; New SW film immediately announced

Post by ULFsurfer »

Just read it too..

I'm a fan of the original trilogy; it's pretty damn good entertainment. And I agree that whatever Lucas made afterward has been exceptionally turdy. No surprise to hear that there will be more movies, or even that Lucasfilm has been gobbled up by a bigger fish. Even though Lucas says he wants to leave film making for a younger generation I still have no hopes to see anything watchable coming out of this franchise again - especially not with Disney.

It's quite a similar situation as for the Dune books, only that Lucas is raping himself instead of having a boy and a hack doing it.

I already posted this before, but here goes again:

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Ha, I read about this and came straight here to see if anyone else thought the same as me. :)

I'm mildly curious to see if they follow the Star Wars EU or not, but apart from that, and the initial shock of another Star Wars film, I don't think I'm going to care too much about this.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

It's hard to imagine Ep. 7 being worse than the last three.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I honestly believe DisneyCorp will give the property better treatment than Lucasfilm did, but now I think it is impossible that SW and Indiana Jones will ever see the light of public domain until the collapse of Western Civilization. -_-
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

So much for fan produced shit, I guess.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

What a shame; every 'franchise' movie made is an original movie that will never see the light of day.

Think about how many creative minds out there yearn to do something of their own, how many original scripts and novels could be transformed into blockbusters or interesting failures. But no, commercial reality dictates that we are held hostage by the big names of yesteryear. Philip K. Dick, Stan Lee, George Lucas, Roddenberry and yes, Frank Herbert have become the sole originators of science fiction blockbusters, and these productions are divorced of all the authenticity and yes, risk-taking that made their works interesting in the first place.

I don't think it's right to think of these 'franchise movies' being parasitical on the success of Star Wars; it's the tired old 'Star Wars' meme that's parasitical on the enormous energy, skill, effort and money required to make a big movie.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Quite the opposite, in fact: SW is parasitical of off all those guys. Steals plot lines from many SF books, most notably Dune.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

I hate Star Wars and never understood the fascination around those movies. There, i said it. I already feel better.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

The original starwars movies are top class pulp nonsense - derivative as fuck and full if cues from the old serials.

How they managed to fuck it up so badly eith the newer films is a mystery.

Hopefully with a bit of fresh creativity at the top they can get back on track and make a watchable film or two.

Pixar and Marvel have survived Disneyfication, hopefully they have similar plans for LF.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Lawliet wrote:I hate Star Wars and never understood the fascination around those movies. There, i said it. I already feel better.
I was one of the first movies I ever saw and I was about 7-years-old, so...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Dear Gawd and all that is holy on Gawd's green earth.

You know the KJA just stained himself thinking about the new opportunities not just Star Wars but "other" Disney Classics.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

This might be okay. The biggest problem with the prequel trilogy was the writing, and the fact no one could say no to Lucas. With him relegated to a consultant role, they might be able to make the third trilogy more than the soulless CG fest that eps 1-3 were.

Any semblance of a cohesive universe is about to go out the window tho. And I've never gotten
Into any of the eu or fanfic stuff at all.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam