Requesting info on early BH/KJA works

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Badorrer

Requesting info on early BH/KJA works

Post by Badorrer »

Hi, new member.

I think I've had my fill of "Dune", so after going through these Wikipedia articles, I'm interested in all the non-"Dune", especially the pre-Atreides. I haven't seen a lot about this stuff here so far, though surely someone's been crazy enough to dissect Hellhole (well, there's that review), Terra Incognita, etc? This thread is hopefully for those crazies.

...I just wanna believe. :(
lotek

Re: Requesting info on early BH/KJA works

Post by lotek »

Someone the Jihad missed out on ?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

The best advice you'll find here about the two morons is: "don't read them." ... And that is the friendly way.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Badorrer wrote:Hi, new member.

I think I've had my fill of "Dune", so after going through these Wikipedia articles, I'm interested in all the non-"Dune", especially the pre-Atreides. I haven't seen a lot about this stuff here so far, though surely someone's been crazy enough to dissect Hellhole (well, there's that review), Terra Incognita, etc? This thread is hopefully for those crazies.

...I just wanna believe. :(
As far as I know, Hellhole is the only non-Dune collaboration between these two.
kja is more than happy to attach his by line to anyone who'll let him.
I'm really not sure what you're asking for, pre-Atreides non-Dune?

Perhaps this will help;
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/kevin-j-anderson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and you won't find better info on their Dune ripoff than here;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2747&hilit=bread+and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

Badorrer wrote:I haven't seen a lot about this stuff here so fa
try here viewforum.php?f=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Badorrer

Post by Badorrer »

Oh, very sorry, my first post should have been twice as long as it is (which it was yesterday, until it was consumed by the site going down as I went to preview it, because I too dumb to just write the post in Notepad like a decent human being would). I didn't mean any previous collaborations, but their backlog of works they did before that team-up, some being collaborations with other people anyway. Examples: Resurrection, Inc and Gamearth, all these miscellaneous '80s Brian things, etc.

Thanks for that site D Pope, seems more helpful than Amazon, haha.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Badorrer wrote:Oh, very sorry, my first post should have been twice as long as it is (which it was yesterday, until it was consumed by the site going down as I went to preview it, because I too dumb to just write the post in Notepad like a decent human being would). I didn't mean any previous collaborations, but their backlog of works they did before that team-up, some being collaborations with other people anyway. Examples: Resurrection, Inc and Gamearth, all these miscellaneous '80s Brian things, etc.

According to the hack, he writes only bestsellers, so I guess his ramblings should be on the bestsellers list? They are not? That is weird...

And Bobo had a life before he got brainstormed? Again, I'm surprised.

Do yourself a favour and read Dune, by its real author, Frank Herbert, and forget about L Ron Anderson...
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Badorrer wrote:Oh, very sorry, my first post should have been twice as long as it is (which it was yesterday, until it was consumed by the site going down as I went to preview it, because I too dumb to just write the post in Notepad like a decent human being would). I didn't mean any previous collaborations, but their backlog of works they did before that team-up, some being collaborations with other people anyway. Examples: Resurrection, Inc and Gamearth, all these miscellaneous '80s Brian things, etc.

Glad to help mate. Here's what google gave for bobo;
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?2308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Badorrer

Post by Badorrer »

lotek wrote:And Bobo had a life before he got brainstormed? Again, I'm surprised.
That's why I'm so interested in these!
lotek wrote:Do yourself a favour and read Dune, by its real author, Frank Herbert, and forget about L Ron Anderson...
Do not worry, I have Dune here and am slowly working on it (though that's because I'm doing something else related, and particularly time-consuming, alongside). I am not one of those anonymous fools who "like the new and old Dune equally" or whatever other variation of that concept. No, I simply want to "study" these two, I want to know if their much older works are at least decent on some level.

That does mean I will have to read the thing known as "Dune"; I'm seeing more laughs out of that than sorrow, but maybe I'm just sadistic. If it means anything, I can agree with the idea that Prelude to Dune was really meant to be a young adult trilogy (especially given how some people view the original Dune versus the other FH books), as opposed to all the other "Dune" books. Surely, I can give him credit for that, with Gamearth and all those Star Wars novels.

D Pope, thanks again. The thing is that while these websites are great, they tend to say little; I want to know if members of Jacurutu had real experience with these relics, and if they could "prep" me so I know what to expect (see above).
Last edited by Badorrer on 22 Oct 2012 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

this smells funny ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

Damn I wanted to say that...
Well, something similar anyway...
lotek

Post by lotek »

Found a new nickname for the evil conjoined twins in the process

D Pope

Post by D Pope »

There have been others seeking to 'learn' about Dune by popping in here and asking questions that, frankly, sounded a little silly.
(Not saying you fit this mold, read on.) Some folks here have dedicated a sizable chunk of their lives to studying Frank Herberts
works and aren't inclined to share on a whim. A few will even get a little surly if they feel like demands are made by the 'undeserving.'

You won't find much love for kj or Brian here, but there is a great deal of fruitful discussion on the finer points of Dune. If it's
Dune related, it's most likely been discussed here somewhere. Members are encouraged to revive old threads, funny how many
times a new topic pops up about things thoroughly discussed elsewhere. (done it myself :oops: )

In short, read around, be polite, and remember that no one on the web 'owes' you an answer.
I look forward to reading more about what you're doing and what you want to know.

:)
-Omphalos
Badorrer

Post by Badorrer »

I understand all of that perfectly, and I would prefer not to post in any of the Dune sections because I have so little experience with this series. I simply wish to know if (and felt that) someone here at Jacurutu could tell me a good bit about old non-Dune Brian Herbert or Kevin J. Anderson works, especially since tabs are already being kept on the two for their modern (non-Dune!) ventures.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Badorrer wrote: I simply wish to know if (and felt that) someone here at Jacurutu could tell me a good bit about old non-Dune Brian Herbert or Kevin J. Anderson works, especially since tabs are already being kept on the two for their modern (non-Dune!) ventures.
If you look around the forum, you'll see that we didn't care much for the hack until he defiled our Dune. The tabs are now kept to help cope with the pain he caused.