Internet TV

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Internet TV

Post by Freakzilla »

I was thinking of getting rid of my cable and going all internet for TV. Cable is just too expensive.

Anyone try this?

Hulu looks pretty good, I think I'm going to try their free trial. $7.99/month is sounding really attractive. Any other suggestions?

I guess I'll have to get a wifi BD/DVD player or some other streaming device for each TV... the PS3 will work on one, one I already have a streaming BD/DVD, that leaves two others I'd have to hook up.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Re: Internet TV

Post by Freakzilla »

I already have amazon prime and Netflix, BTW.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

If your bandwidth can take the constant hit then give it a go, the least thing that will happen is you'll get offered 25% off when you call to cancel your cable. The online service, is it month to month?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I was thinking of getting rid of my cable and going all internet for TV. Cable is just too expensive.

Anyone try this?

Hulu looks pretty good, I think I'm going to try their free trial. $7.99/month is sounding really attractive. Any other suggestions?

I guess I'll have to get a wifi BD/DVD player or some other streaming device for each TV... the PS3 will work on one, one I already have a streaming BD/DVD, that leaves two others I'd have to hook up.
I gave up cable two years ago now and used Netflix and Hulu quite a bit early on. Now I watch a few things on some of the free network channels but I quickly found other things to do. I don't mind waiting a few extra month to watch shows on Netflix. I'm positive the money I saved was better spend on other things.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I took out the DishTV garbage almost two years ago now, I think ...

I watch John Stewart the morning after the show airs on their website, or on Hulu ...

the PBS website has more shows available for streaming than you could ever watch ...

and between Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, and the chinese sites with links to movies hidden away
on file-sharers, I've got more TV than I need ... with the HUGE plus that I watch what I
want when I want to ... get a big-ass monitor, or a TV tuner card for your PC ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:If your bandwidth can take the constant hit then give it a go, the least thing that will happen is you'll get offered 25% off when you call to cancel your cable. The online service, is it month to month?
I've got cable internet and phone, I'll keep that. I may have to boost my bandwidth.

I'll have to get a faster wireless router.

The bad thing about this idea is I have a contract with the cable company. They'll fine me for breaking it and I'm not sure how much that will be yet.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote: ... with the HUGE plus that I watch what I
want when I want to ...
This appeals to me, also.

I just started the Hulu trial. So far I'm impressed with the quantity and selection of programs.

Thanks for the PBS tip!
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Buy some refurbished Roku boxes for the other tvs, they will let you play Hulu, crackle, Netflix, and other stuff, they have some good free channels on them, just make sure your tvs have the right connections. They even have some sports packages too.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:Buy some refurbished Roku boxes for the other tvs, they will let you play Hulu, crackle, Netflix, and other stuff, they have some good free channels on them, just make sure your tvs have the right connections. They even have some sports packages too.

Rob
I was looking at Roku boxes but I didn't think of getting refurbished, thanks for the tip.

I was wondering about how I'm going to watch my Braves and Falcons, though...
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

So how much does it cost to watch a single MLB or NFL game on Roku? I'm really only into my local teams so getting subscriptions doesn't make much sense to me.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

http://www.roku.com/about/roku_coupons? ... TAodcj0A9g

Gp for the XD, what the XS adds isnt worth it for what you're planning to use for a set up.

As for sports, find a streaming site such as...

http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/baseball.html

or what I use to watch my Portland Timbers

http://www.oleoletv.com/

Lots of sites based over seas that will stream a broadcast of a game for you, even ones blacked out in your area.

Don't get a package, just stream the games mate!

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I had no idea you could do that, as anal as major league sports are about their property. :shock:

I was looking at the Roku LT since my highest definition TV is only 720p.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

most sites I know of are based overseas so, you know, different laws of the land.

Rob
trang

Post by trang »

I have been pondering the idea for months. Im getting raped by ATT on cell phones as well as Comcast cable and internet. I have 20 megabit internet cable at 49.95 and the channel package without any movie channels for 49.95. Comcast says If I drop the cable, due to the bundle, my internet would go to 69.95. I looked at the dish stuff, they all want 2 year contracts to get the low price othewise is basically 50 bucks, no savings over cable.

Att DSL max speed to my triplex is a limp 768k, so thats out.
Wireless 4G providers (clear, etc) is 50 bucks a month for 3-6 meg, plus cost of the box, and I don't think I can share the 4 computers in my house off that box, but haven' called them yet.

So overall the jump from 49.95 to 69.95 doesn't appeal to me, when taking the speed into account.

I was going to do a combo deal on my tv's, an outdoor HD antenna (conical design) to pick up the 20-30 free over the air channels (lets me watch sports, local channels) I was then going to get the Google TV box's and put under each tv. Upgrade wireless access point to N from B and G.

I already have netflix, 8 bucks a month. I am a little skidish about HUlu plus because they have been on the buyers block so many times in the past year or two, didnt know where it was going to land.

I have hundreds of movies and dozens of TV shows on my main computer, that I have connected to my 46 inch LCD in bedroom.

I dont know about the internet TV station thing, or how reputable they are (separate from the programming the google tv has) so would hold on that.

I guess the problem is initial Outlay, 300 to 500? and monthly would still be 80-100. I wouldnt be saving that much. The upside is I would be mobile with all that, so anywhere I went just have to have internet installed and be up and running. 3-6 megabit Wireless just doesnt quite do it. I know there is 4g LTE but thats new tech, and next year Advanced 4G is supposed to come out, the Standard is still being hashed out, but I believe gigabit level speed will be there.

There is one other problem out there, Internet providers are moving to a usage based bandwidth plan, I believe time warner already has it in place. It is a very lofty total right now, 250 to 300 gig a month? most normal households wouldnt even come close to blowing that out. I have measured my use and I consistently hit that mark or go over. I already get slammed on cell phone so dont need that headache.

Ideally, 10 megabit plan unlimited usage wireless or wired, 35 bucks a month. Each TV equipped with HD antenna hook up and Google tv box. Add streaming services monthly, one or multiples but hopefully wrapping up for less than additional 25 a month. Total monthly outlay 55 dollars.

an additional would be placing central repository for all the saved things I already have, with internal wireless access from each room (Not sure how I would do that yet, small thin client ir mini computer under each tv, or if tv is wireless capable, direct via a keyboard and mouse, I don't know yet.

Convoluted mess to say the least, plus wouldnt have access to the channels I really enjoy.

History, Science, TBS, TNT, FX, USA, Fuse, G4V, AMC, Comedy channel, PBS, IFC, NFL Network,etc

I know its monetary both contractual and greed that prevents the cable/dish companys from doing it, but they have the technology to let us pick the channels we want, and dump the rest. I could easily wrap it up in 40 channels less.

Im not giving up, and its admirable making the leap, just have to figure out the best fit and work towards it.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The start-up cost of going internet is becoming a little daunting, but I could do one TV at a time.

We mostly just watch the big TV in the living room anyway. I could move the PS3 into another room, I've already got the remote control for that. I get Netflix, Amazon (and Hulu Plus) on the Kindle Fire, so someone could watch that in another room or on the laptop.

Right now I'm paying $115 for TV. That includes a $64 digital package, $50 for movie channels, and $20 for the 4 digital boxes, then they take of $20 for the contract.

Last bill I had an additional $30 in movie rentals. I've got to do something.

I might get an indoor HD antenna for my local sports. May cancel the cable phone too and get magic jack.

The Charter internet service would be all I need.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

To bad the Kindle does not mirror or have a video out slot. I use to do Netflix through my ipad on the tv before I got my Apple TV. Bonus with the Roku, you can watch your Amazon stuff through it.

Rob
trang

Post by trang »

Freakzilla wrote:The start-up cost of going internet is becoming a little daunting, but I could do one TV at a time.

We mostly just watch the big TV in the living room anyway. I could move the PS3 into another room, I've already got the remote control for that. I get Netflix, Amazon (and Hulu Plus) on the Kindle Fire, so someone could watch that in another room or on the laptop.

Right now I'm paying $115 for TV. That includes a $64 digital package, $50 for movie channels, and $20 for the 4 digital boxes, then they take of $20 for the contract.

Last bill I had an additional $30 in movie rentals. I've got to do something.

I might get an indoor HD antenna for my local sports. May cancel the cable phone too and get magic jack.

The Charter internet service would be all I need.
Why do you need a landline if you have cell phones? just a thought. What ISP, what speed, and cost do you have now on top of the tv?

My coworker has Sprint phones, He is able on his android to turn his phone into a hotspot. If your Interent usage from your home devices is wireless base, that is one way around things to consolidate. Some Providers charge extra for using your phone as a hotspot, tmobile and verizon do, plus limited data plans as well. I dont know how much longer sprint will be the only one with unlimited data either.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

We have one TV, a basic plus package, and any moview we watch are generally free on Netflix. Our internet is a DSL, which is plenty quick for all the emailing, websurfing and TV viewing that we do. Having no HBO or other premium networks and no cable modem keeps the costs way down. When we do buy movies my wife finds Amazon coupons, and we never buy pay-per-view shit. With 900+ stations there is always something free to watch, and if there isn't I put it on the bluegrass music station.

I also have an Apple TV, and I do buy iTunes shit, but only the stuff I know I am going to watch again and again and again. Just bought season 2 of The Walking Dead, for example.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

trang wrote:Why do you need a landline if you have cell phones? just a thought. What ISP, what speed, and cost do you have now on top of the tv?

My coworker has Sprint phones, He is able on his android to turn his phone into a hotspot. If your Interent usage from your home devices is wireless base, that is one way around things to consolidate. Some Providers charge extra for using your phone as a hotspot, tmobile and verizon do, plus limited data plans as well. I dont know how much longer sprint will be the only one with unlimited data either.
I have one pre-pay mobile phone from Virgin Mobile. I'm trying to get away from contracts. I only got the cable phone because my oldest boy is staying with me this summer and I wanted him to be able to check in with me while I'm at work. I may end up dropping that, too.I imagine it will go up when I break my contract.
~Pink Snowman