Keith is a Grandmaster! O_O

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Hunchback Jack

Re: Keith is a Grandmaster! O_O

Post by Hunchback Jack »

In KJAs blog a few weeks ago, he was talking about the evacuating his house during the forest fires in Colorado. It was the usual mix of self promotion and whiny bitching, but then he ended it with this:
All told, the fire burned more than 15,000 acres, completely destroyed over 500 homes.  38,000 people were evacuated; two people died.  The worst fire in Colorado history…but I’ve heard that before.
I'm honestly not sure what to make of that last sentence. He *cant* have meant to be that much of an asshole, can he? I'm guessing he really meant to convey that he'd seen this sort of thing before, but dear Christ it came across as callous.

This is a professional writer, remember.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think he means to be an asshole, he just can't help it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hunchback Jack wrote:In KJAs blog a few weeks ago, he was talking about the evacuating his house during the forest fires in Colorado. It was the usual mix of self promotion and whiny bitching, but then he ended it with this:
All told, the fire burned more than 15,000 acres, completely destroyed over 500 homes.  38,000 people were evacuated; two people died.  The worst fire in Colorado history…but I’ve heard that before.
I'm honestly not sure what to make of that last sentence. He *cant* have meant to be that much of an asshole, can he? I'm guessing he really meant to convey that he'd seen this sort of thing before, but dear Christ it came across as callous.

This is a professional writer, remember.

HBJ
He is a crappy wordsmith, that much is for sure. Who knows what he meant? Not like any one can tell what KJA means by the words KJA uses.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Searching for context on wikipedia, it's not hard to find.
2012, High Park Fire, is the third largest wildfire in Colorado state history by area. It killed one person and destroyed at least 248 homes making it the most destructive fire in state history until Waldo Canyon Fire a few days later.

2012, Waldo Canyon Fire, Destroyed 346 homes, formally the most destructive fire until the Black Forest Fire of 2013. Two fatalities.

2013, Black Forest Fire, The most destructive fire in Colorado state history. The 14,280 acre fire destroyed 511 homes and left 28 homes partially damaged.

2013, West Fork Fire Complex, The second largest fire in Colorado history by area. Started June 20, 2013; forced evacuation of entire town of South Fork, Colorado.
Using the most obvious interpretation of his words: he literally heard it before.

I suppose a different author might have bemoaned the tendency of the news media to grab a headline by naming it the biggest fire EVER, rather than summarizing why these fires increase in magnitude and frequency, and outline what things could be done to prevent them.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Funny thing about worst events ever. Every time the previous one is surpassed we have a new worst event ever. It simply never stops.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

He also has not been up close and personal with wildfires. He's evacuated and what not, but he's never had to look the beast directly in the face. He's an insensitive cunt who likes to open his fucking mouth.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Naïve mind wrote: Searching for context on wikipedia, it's not hard to find.

[snip]

Using the most obvious interpretation of his words: he literally heard it before.
Okay, that confirms what I suspected. Even so, to follow the list of damages and loss of life with this statement (ie. "nothing special", or even "nothing new") comes across as pretty insensitive, I think. I was stunned when I read it, actually.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

He's trying to be clever and make a comment about the media and once again looks like an ass.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

:text-yeahthat:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

KJA, the stone burner of sensitivity.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

The following weekend, I drove to Aspen, Colorado because my novel CLOCKWORK ANGELS was nominated for the Colorado Book Award, a prestigious literary award. I had a lovely drive over Independence Pass, through spectacular scenery.

The ceremonies were held on Friday afternoon, a nice reception, and a hang-out and book signing with other Colorado authors. CLOCKWORK ANGELS was one of three finalists in its category—I didn’t win . . . BUT it was still a wonderful excuse to spend some time up in Aspen, one of the most scenic areas of Colorado.
1) Mr. Anderson's book was nominated in his home state.
2) Mr. Anderson's book didn't win.
3) A wilderness fire erupts in the same area.

A segment from his untranscribed tapes...

"How dare you snub the Grandmaster!"
"Burn you f*ckers!"
"Burn!"
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

2014 Hugo's announced:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-histo ... go-awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope, and again no sign of Pinky or The Hack
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Serkanner wrote:2014 Hugo's announced:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-histo ... go-awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope, and again no sign of Pinky or The Hack
I remember a time when I would have read at least half of those entries before the Hugo announcement. I haven't even heard of any this time around.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!