Montana quote

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Montana quote

Post by Omphalos »

In my job I read a lot of legal opinions. Someone forwarded me this quote from a Montana opinion recently. Thought it was pretty good:
In a recent opinion Montana Justice James C. Nelson dissented and wrote:Corporations are not persons. Human beings are persons, and it is an affront to the inviolable dignity of our species that courts have created a legal fiction which forces people — human beings — to share fundamental, natural rights with soulless creatures of government. Worse still, while corporations and human beings share many of the same rights under the law, they clearly are not bound equally to the same codes of good conduct, decency and morality, and they are not held equally accountable for their sins. Indeed, it is truly ironic that the death penalty and hell are reserved only to natural persons.
Glad to see that some courts are doing the right thing.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Montana quote

Post by Mandy »

That is awesome. When you get a chance you should watch Stephen Colbert's interview with John Paul Stevens http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... ul-stevens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Saw the rerun of that this morning, Mandy.

All kinds of AWESOME. :lol:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I am still waiting for a death sentence to ANY corporate business. That will be the day.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."