Video Games!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: Video Games!

Post by Ampoliros »

The ending is basically a Deus ex machina, which it would practically have to be in fighting the Reapers. Its not so much the story but... well this is the best quote I found for it:
"WHAT...is your name?"

"Commander Shepherd!"

"WHAT...is your quest?"

"To save the universe from the Reapers!"

"WHAT...is your favorite color?"

"Blue!/Red!"

"Okay, off you go."
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
ULFsurfer

Post by ULFsurfer »

DuneFishUK wrote:

Backers

$3,335,265
pledged of $400,000 goal

seconds to go

Funding Successful

This project successfully raised its funding goal 29 minutes ago.
Guess this means adventure games aren't dead after all... :)

There's hope for mankind!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Anyone care to recommend a good strategy/sim game?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:Anyone care to recommend a good strategy/sim game?
Dating?

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

100 Women saw you on the meet me feature and now want to meet you, click to view!
:obscene-smokingpimp:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That game is too easy.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

thanks amp for the review, As I have just ran end to end in ME1 and ME 2 over the past two weeks, and am about 5 hours into ME3 I have some similar complaints, but overall still think its great. I have had trouble with the interface since ME-1 and each version it changes just enough to keep me annoyed.

I don't really like the Origin thing. I bought ME3, but didn't load it. I had ME1 and ME2 loaded and thought I would Load the DEMO for ME3 and it loaded the Origin thing ( I also have and play SWTOR). I played the demo for about 5 minutes and the interface was so different, I stopped. I finished ME2, and went to load the game from DVD, and instead the Origins thing downloaded the whole game, didnt even need the disk.

Anyway, Its a great series, I have been a Bioware fan from back in the day(baldurs gate, Icewindale, NWN, Rome Total War, etc)

Looking forward to finishing ME3 this week.

Freak have you tried Starcraft2? Command and Conquer?
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nope, I'll check those out. I've been out of gaming for a while but now that I have a PS3 I figure I should use it.

Apache Assault is on the way next.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Orcs Must Die!

I'm also playing SWTOR, just had to move servers since mine was totally dead. I was playing republic but all my friends rolled sith so now I'm playing a bounty hunter named Hobofett...

As for ME3, I'm trying to recall any iconic moments that really stuck with me, and weren't ruined by the-cutscene-ninja. Everything is overshadowed now by the fact that none of it matters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:Hobofett...
:lol: Y'all are so creative.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Ampoliros wrote:Orcs Must Die!

I'm also playing SWTOR, just had to move servers since mine was totally dead. I was playing republic but all my friends rolled sith so now I'm playing a bounty hunter named Hobofett...

As for ME3, I'm trying to recall any iconic moments that really stuck with me, and weren't ruined by the-cutscene-ninja. Everything is overshadowed now by the fact that none of it matters.
to each his own as far as Mass Effect. If you want to know the truth, it reminds a great deal of the book series by Ian Douglas (William Keith Jr) Semper Mars, its a 9 book series, broken into 3 trilogies. Very similar setup and similar alien. The initial books were written before ME1, but finished out during ME2, interesting to say the least. I have two of the Mass Effect books. Read the first one before playing ME1, book was pretty scattered and hollow. I haven't the second one. I think there are 4 total now.

I play SWTOR on whitebeam run and the constant servers. I am playing a trooper right now, level 33, names GraveFist. I like the game, but its so Single player driven (with the companion) grouping (outside of joining a guild) is hard. I play with friends, but they are on very infrequent. I think the new legacy system is pretty cool.

I havent found a spot to post the idea, but I think a contest via the legacy system, where Bioware publishes a book series that stars a someones character from the game would be cool. The book would be basically the story line of the game thru level 50 for the character and his legacy family.

After I run thru ME3, Im going back to finish DA1 then Get DA2. after that is finish Oblivion(yea I know its old, but have played that series since the first game arena the elder scrolls) and then get skyrim. That should keep me busy thru middle of summer.

Anyway, Happy Gaming.

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Just got reading this thread again after finishing ME3.

I'm somewhat surprised at the immense negativity. For me, the game was amazing right up until the ending... at which point the negativity starts to make sense.

As a side note Amp, I agree that the weight restrictions heavily affect the soldier class, that is until you equip the particle rifle and the Widow sniper rifle. In multiplayer I have the Revenant machine gun instead of the particle rifle.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I loved the Mattock in ME2. It felt like it was shooting blanks in 3. as for Sniper I unlocked the widow and hated it. Went back to the Valiant.

Of course, you finish the game before you even unlock half the weapon upgrades...
trang

Post by trang »

finished ME3 and was immensely dissapointed, I have been playing Bioware games all my life and havent experienced anything like this. So emotionally involved and immersed in this game, and to be kicked in the junk that hard, well, sucked.

The 3 games collective are top tier, just the ending of 3 makes it feel not worth it and replay ability seems pointless. They are releasing some DLC in the summer that is supposed to make everyone feel better and fill in some gaps. I don't feel that will enough, and each player deserves and earned the right to the ending based on all the choices made across the games.

I romanced Tali, and expected to have an intense fight against reapers both ground and spaced based. A fight of epic scale, leading to victory or death would be fine, based on the chance and choices I made. If victorious, I wanted to see all my squad mates stories and go back to Tali's homeworld and live the happy ever after ending.

Creations rising up against their creators always, is hokum. I have watched and read a large amount of fan based responses and it is pretty unanimous.

all depends on Bioware, would even be willing to pay 5-10 bucks for DLC that was a rework of the the ending.

On to Dragon age, diablo3 and skyrim!

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I romanced Tali, and expected to have an intense fight against reapers both ground and spaced based. A fight of epic scale, leading to victory or death would be fine, based on the chance and choices I made. If victorious, I wanted to see all my squad mates stories and go back to Tali's homeworld and live the happy ever after ending.
Agreed, except I don't think the happy ever after is necessarily a good idea, especially after such a grim story.

Also, a friend linked me this, although y'all might have seen it already: http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3- ... are-right/
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
trang

Post by trang »

haven't seen that article, but a lot that are similar. I think Happy ever after is a valid ending if earned, but not the only choice for ending, different and based on your choices is all I ask for.

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I had been thinking of playing ME2 on my ps3 but after hearing the backlash on the third game, I'm not sure whether to bother. Is the experience still worthwhile even if the ending isn't great?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yes, Mass effect 2 is well worth playing.

IMHO I think too many people are glossing over the problems with 3 and focusing on the ending. I could feel something wrong the whole time I was playing 3, what with the SHIT animations, glitches, no minigames, no quest tracker, no inventory.

Heck I had forgotten that at the beginning the basically let you choose rpg or shooter which tells you that the rpg elements are gone.

Again, I lay all this at EA's feet. They supercharged us during the season, charged a shitload for the endgame, and then gave us nothing.

i'm not downloading any more dlc, not paying for any. They fucked us and I'm not going back. It's too late to fix Mass Effect 3.

Its like telling a domestic abuse victim its okay because the abuser feels bad now and will buy you flowers.

Even after all that Mass Effect 2 is still a fucking awesome game.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Started playing Skyrim a couple days ago. So fun.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

until you take an arrow to the knee.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My son wants Skyrim. Kind of expensive on Gamefly :(
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

you might want to check this out before ;)
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-re ... s-v-skyrim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I will when I get home, stupid corporate eNazis won't let me at work... go figure.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

http://kotaku.com/5901016/forget-3d-im- ... video-game

Oh, I definitely want to try this! :pray:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:you might want to check this out before ;)
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-re ... s-v-skyrim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, thanks for the warning!
~Pink Snowman