Video Games!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

DuneFishUK

Video Games!

Post by DuneFishUK »

We've got book, music, tv, film and sports threads, but I'm not sure we've got a dedicated video game thread yet.

Recently, I have been mostly playing Battlefield 3… I say mostly, I mean only - the thing hasn't left my Xbox since October :P

During this time I have come to the conclusion that BF3 is by far the finest semi-realistic online multiplayer shooty-bang game ever created. It really is that good - playing with randoms can be a bit frustrating, but if you have a few friends you can talk to and be a bit tactical with - it turns into something really a bit special. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Video Games!

Post by Freakzilla »

I got my kids a PS3, DSi XL and Kindle Fire for Christmas.

I know the Fire isn't a "gaming system" but it's good enough for my kids to play their web Flash games.

The DSi was bundled with Mario vs. Donkey Kong for no extra cost, we've also got Scooby Doo and Petz Horses.

Neither of those two got put down until the battery died, then they played them on the charger.

I've got Call of Duty: Black Ops on the PS3... WOW! We also got The Simpsons which looks pretty fun.

Got our first GameFly game, Assasin's Creed. It's pretty cool but not close to Black Ops.

I haven't had a chance to play any of these games myself but the kids seem to enjoy them.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I am playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, it's the only game I've ever played on the Wii, and it is really really good. Right up there with Ocarina of Time.

I bought a PS3 recently, still haven't even hooked it up, but soon as I finish Skyward Sword I"m gonna play Skyrim.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Mandy wrote:I am playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, it's the only game I've ever played on the Wii, and it is really really good. Right up there with Ocarina of Time.

I bought a PS3 recently, still haven't even hooked it up, but soon as I finish Skyward Sword I"m gonna play Skyrim.
:clap:

I just finished Skyward Sword. Talk to me when your done. Before I got it a friend described it to me using the following dialogue:

Him: What's your favourite Zelda game?
Me: Twilight Princess.
Him: Ha! Not anymore!

:)

A few months I was introduced to Batman: Arkham Asylum which has been out for a couple of years now. That was a fantastic game.

@Freakzilla: Black Ops was the first CoD game I played. I sat through the entire campaign in one night, and spent nearly the entire summer playing that one online. I now understand the addiction people have with CoD. :)

My gaming at the moment is taken up with Gears of War 3. Been in love with this series since it came out.

Also DuneFishUK gets :clap: for starting a games thread.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Right now I'm playing Dark Souls. Sometimes I just want to smack my head against the wall. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I just just keep coming back for more punishment.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SadisticCynic wrote:
@Freakzilla: Black Ops was the first CoD game I played. I sat through the entire campaign in one night, and spent nearly the entire summer playing that one online. I now understand the addiction people have with CoD. :)
Black Ops is a brilliant game - truly addictive instant gratification run and gun fun - I was playing it most of summer as well :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Has anyone played Gods of War? I saw Gods of War (origins, I think) in the store and I almost bought it, but I decided to find out if it was any good first.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Tleszer wrote:Right now I'm playing Dark Souls. Sometimes I just want to smack my head against the wall. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I just just keep coming back for more punishment.
I have a few friends who played that obsessively. They now do things like trying to complete the game using certain builds e.g. the Gutts build (Berserk) which focuses on using a massive sword two-handed all the way throught the game etc.

I believe the week that game came out the cleanliness of the house suffered greatly. :lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Tleszer wrote:Right now I'm playing Dark Souls. Sometimes I just want to smack my head against the wall. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I just just keep coming back for more punishment.
I have a few friends who played that obsessively. They now do things like trying to complete the game using certain builds e.g. the Gutts build (Berserk) which focuses on using a massive sword two-handed all the way throught the game etc.

I believe the week that game came out the cleanliness of the house suffered greatly. :lol:
So they started losing their humanity and became... hollowed? :lol: :roll:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

After reading some reviews, I think I'll order God of War collection (not origin collection) and... dang Assassin's Creed Revelations sure does look pretty.

I really suck at shooters, so I'm gonna have to search for some sword type games.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My son was playing the first/original Assassin's Creed. The swordplay in it looked pretty cool. He stole a horse, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Man! I was just about to start this thread! I just got started on Battle for Wesnoth yesterday and am about to get back into it. Later, ya'll.
I bring nothing to the table.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Mandy wrote:I am playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, it's the only game I've ever played on the Wii, and it is really really good. Right up there with Ocarina of Time.

:clap:

I just finished Skyward Sword. Talk to me when your done. Before I got it a friend described it to me using the following dialogue:

Him: What's your favourite Zelda game?
Me: Twilight Princess.
Him: Ha! Not anymore!

:)
I just need to do the final battle, I didn't want the game to end so I'm messing around. I think I'll try the boss rush, maybe catch some bugs here and there :)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The only dedicated gaming systems i have are my iPad and new iPhone 4. Haven't tried it but I'm suppose to be able to use airplay with my Apple TV 2. As for games, I play the following:

Ipad/Iphone

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
FIFA 12
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Shrouded
Aya Go
Getaway
Sim City Deluxe
NFS Shift 2
Galaga 30th

On the main comp:

Crusader Kings
Gratuitous Space Battles
Railroad Story

Rob
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I havn't bought a single console since the Ataria gameconsole in the eighties. I use my PC if I want to play a game, but it has been months since I have had time to start anything up. I am more into strategy games like Civilization, Simcity and Hearts of Iron ( grand campaign WW II in real time ) than any other type.

Most of my free time I spend playing chess online.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Serkanner wrote:Most of my free time I spend playing chess online.
Chess is great, but I wish they'd let you customise the classes or at least release a map pack... :wink:
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Serkanner wrote:Most of my free time I spend playing chess online.
Chess is great, but I wish they'd let you customise the classes or at least release a map pack... :wink:
Well ... check this LINK!!! ;)
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I used to play cylindrical chess, where the sides of the board are joined. (can't see the link from work.)
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Used some of my stuns credit and picked up Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Let the 80's live again!

Looking at getting the Complete Dragon Age Complete bundle (Dragon's Age, Dragon's Age 2 and all the expansions and bonus stuff) from Gamer's Gate....

Get the ultimate Dragon Age™ experience! Dragon Age™: Origins – Ultimate Edition includes:

Dragon Age™: Origins
Discover the groundbreaking RPG, winner of more than 50 awards including more than 30 'Game of the Year' awards! You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of a legendary order of guardians. With the return of mankind's ancient foe and the kingdom engulfed in civil war, you have been chosen by fate to unite the shattered lands and slay the archdemon once and for all. Explore a stunning world, make complex moral choices, and engage in bone-crushing visceral combat against massive and terrifying creatures.

Dragon Age™: Origins – Awakening Expansion Pack
The story of the Grey Wardens continues as you are named Commander of the order. As your first duties you have been entrusted with rebuilding the order as well as uncovering the secrets of the darkspawn and how they managed to endure. Fight new enemies, learn new skills and spells, and explore an all-new area of the world, Amaranthine.

All Nine Content Packs
Extend your adventure, collect new rewards, gain new party members, and more as you delve deeper into the Dragon Age™ saga.

The Stone Prisoner
Warden's Keep
Return to Ostagar
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Leliana's Song
The Golems of Amgarrak
Witch Hunt
Feastday Gifts
Feastday Pranks
Key Features

A limited-time offer of the 2009 'RPG of the Year' Dragon Age: Origins, the Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening expansion pack, and all nine additional content packs
Critically acclaimed winner of more than 50 awards including more than 30 'Game of the Year' awards
A tremendous $114 value at one low price

Purchase Dragon Age II now! In addition, you will receive the following bonus item.

Bonus Content: The Black Emporium

Nestled deep under Kirkwall, you'll find a market with a curious collection of items, some for sale, some for free, and ranging from the mundane to the mysterious! One artifact can even transform your very body, face, hair, eyes—all new! We've even granted you your very own mabari war hound to call to your side with a whistle—a boon in battle and a beloved pet at home. Visit the Black Emporium today, and you’ll be the envy of adventurers everywhere. Your invitation awaits!

The Black Emporium features:

A magic item store that has some of the best equipment you’ll find in the game. It’s restocked with better items as you progress through the story.
A loyal mabari hound that fights at your side in battle.
The “Mirror of Transformation”. Gaze into it and you can change your very appearance. Hair, eyes, tattoos, and more can be changed with the click of a button.
A crafting store which sells powerful unique recipes.
Explore the Black Emporium and uncover its strange secrets and lore. Be sure to see its strange proprietor. It should prove most… memorable.
Dragon Age II

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I almost got one of those Dragon Age games for Christmas for the kids.

I take it you like it? :P
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Dragon Age Origins is a great game.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Dragon Age: Origins is a great game. Some of the designs and quest seem somewhat generic to me, but since you build your own character (through picked origin and dialogue choices) the overall feel of the game feels personal to the player. Then again, it probably depends on the origin you choose: Human Noble, City Elf, Daelish Elf, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, and Mage (Human or Elf). Even gender and profession changes some choices available.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I played human noble the first time, and then elf mage the second. Lots more fun to be a mage, imo!
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I played all the origins, but only completed the game with Human Noble, Dwarf Commoner, and Elf Mage. Maybe because it was my first playthrough, but I really enjoyed the Human Noble origin.