Video Games!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Video Games!

Post by Freakzilla »

I haven't really been into a video game besides Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Antietam since I was a beta tester for America's Army (http://www.americasarmy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Before that I was very much into online combat flight simulators (Jane's USNF, Jane's Fighter's Anthology, etc... ) until purely by chance I started getting laid.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

This is just remotely related to video gaming because I realized it when I tried to connect my son's PS3 to the internet...

I'm out of ports on my router! :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l ... o-a-router" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think a switch is going to cut it. :(
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freak, do you know if you can connect the ps3 to the internet through wi-fi? That's how I do it since my ps3 is far from the router. I think you'd need the WEP key or password, but I think that's usually on the router.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

That's how I was trying to do it, I just have to many internet devices.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

how come ?

You must already have thought of it but just in case, does the PS3 have the wireless LAN thingy ?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes, it does. I only have a 4-port router. I just have too many things that want to connect. I need an upgrade. I'll think about the switch, maybe it will work. I'm just worried it will cause a bottleneck.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

have you tried connecting the PS3 to the router via wifi ?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't know I could do that. :?
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

:)

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... eless.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Tleszer wrote:Freak, do you know if you can connect the ps3 to the internet through wi-fi? That's how I do it since my ps3 is far from the router. I think you'd need the WEP key or password, but I think that's usually on the router.
lotek wrote:have you tried connecting the PS3 to the router via wifi ?
I thought I suggested that... :confusion-confused:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

you might have, I haven't followed that thread from the start.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My son is playing Dead Island. :shock:
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I got this one, but can't really get into it, I prefered killing zombies in Red Dead Redemption ^^
It's pretty good though, I love open world, but I'd rather have the Just Cause II style ones, parachutes, helicopters and jet fighters, proper silly but fun !
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:My son is playing Dead Island. :shock:
The trailer for that was something a bit special... Not heard the same about the game though. :?

(Still need to check out the RDR Zombies :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

Dead Island is very similar to Dead Rising, weapon creation wise, but the gameplay is a bit tedious (you know, meet npc, go do this, come back for reward...)
It would have been fun to have two players, not sure if you can.

The RDR zombie extension is what you should expect from this game, if you liked riding a horse, you'll love the burning zombie horse that sets fire to the living dead it touches (and saves ammo). For some reason I lost it, loaded my game one day and it was gone. Things were never the same again.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

He's playing it online. I believe it's a team/free-for-all.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

that must be more fun then :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/667 ... -adventure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is exciting - Day of the Tentacle is still one of my favourite games of all time and I've got fond memories of all those classic adventure games they suddenly stopped making.
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/889955-tim-schafer-raises-1m-in-24-hours-for-new-adventure-game wrote:Brütal Legend and Psychonauts developer Double Fine Productions has set-up a special online fund to help fans donate money towards making a new graphic adventure. Over $1 million has been raised in less than 24 hours, immediately greenlighting the new project.

According to conventional logic the days of LucasArts-esque point 'n' click graphic adventures being a profitable style of game have long since passed, and classics such as Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle (both of which Double Fine's founder Tim Schafer worked on) are now part of genre that's been hovering on the edge of extinction for decades.

To try and bring things back from the brink Schafer has set-up a scheme on website Kickstarter.com, which encourages fans to make donations towards the game's development. The target was $400,000, but it reached that in just eight hours. In fact the whole project has broken Kickstarter records for the most funds raised in 24 hours and the highest number of backers.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

DuneFishUK wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/667 ... -adventure

This is exciting - Day of the Tentacle is still one of my favourite games of all time and I've got fond memories of all those classic adventure games they suddenly stopped making.
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/889955-tim-schafer-raises-1m-in-24-hours-for-new-adventure-game wrote:Brütal Legend and Psychonauts developer Double Fine Productions has set-up a special online fund to help fans donate money towards making a new graphic adventure. Over $1 million has been raised in less than 24 hours, immediately greenlighting the new project.

According to conventional logic the days of LucasArts-esque point 'n' click graphic adventures being a profitable style of game have long since passed, and classics such as Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle (both of which Double Fine's founder Tim Schafer worked on) are now part of genre that's been hovering on the edge of extinction for decades.

To try and bring things back from the brink Schafer has set-up a scheme on website Kickstarter.com, which encourages fans to make donations towards the game's development. The target was $400,000, but it reached that in just eight hours. In fact the whole project has broken Kickstarter records for the most funds raised in 24 hours and the highest number of backers.
Feck me... :shock:

Backers

$3,335,265
pledged of $400,000 goal

seconds to go

Funding Successful

This project successfully raised its funding goal 29 minutes ago.
Guess this means adventure games aren't dead after all... :)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Stay Tuned for Amp's Mass Effect 3 BETA review.

I must start with saying that I think it's the deathnell for Bioware in allowing EA to sell ME3 in Beta form. As great a game as it is, its not finished.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Really? That's a shame. I've heard only great things about it, except that there is a particular weak plot point. Unfortunately I haven't got the game yet. Still waiting for it to arrive. Arrrghhh!!!!

Still, I recently got Arkham City, so that'll keep me occupied for awhile.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

ME3 in my GF Q.

...after Club Penguin DS, Monster High DS, and MW3...
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

To quote a much better piece of entertainment:

"I'll tell you what the effect is, it's pissing me off!"

Yeah. Where to begin.

Pro's: You get to see all your old friends again (if they are still alive) and run around the galaxy in the Normandy.

Con's:
1. Animations. Okay seriously, this is the first thing I noticed that set off a warning bell in my head. The animations were all place holders, maybe 20-30% of which were complete. Lip-sync, movement, etc. were not (acceptable) finished products for a game of Mass Effect's status. That the game launched with such a blatant flaw was alarming. It got worse.

2. Combat. Yeah I get it, multiplayer sells. For people that don't do multiplayer, there are gems called RPG's. Multiplayer would make more since in Skyrim than it does in Mass Effect. The combat system felt clunky and unwieldy. Sometimes it felt like the difficulty would swing wildly due to the game throwing overzealous AI at you or just packing the screen with enemies which might just come at you fish-in-a-barrel style or actually try and outflank you, pin you down, then spam grenades. Often my weapons felt like I was shooting blanks, and I played a Soldier Shep who used sniper rifles and assault rifles and knew her ammo types. The new weight system was totally unneeded, and I felt that it unfairly penalized the soldier class.

3. Gutted for content. Day one, on-the-disk-DLC aside, ME3 was pathetically short. I looked under every nook and cranny for side missions which were effectively nothing more than go scan a planet. The quest log, gutted. Side-missions, gutted. Inventory was streamlined, because you have no inventory other than weapons armor and mods. I finished the game in about 24 hours total, and that was with searching maps and planets, running around the citadel, and spending time just talking to my companions. Not kidding, I kept wondering when I was going to get to Act II up until they started telling me "If you go on this mission, you're headed into the endgame!"

3a. Zones were also ridiculously small. I remember being awed by Afterlife from ME2, just walking in and seeing this whole club mapped out. When I got to Purgatory on the Citadel, I was awed again...for the 5 seconds it took me to explore the entire 10th of the club you can actually get to. The mission to Paloven requires you to fix a com tower to contact the new Primarch. Its a hilarious joke when you realize that if you just climbed to the top of it you could probably see this missing Primarch and his men. The Citadel zones are probably half as large as ME2 and could all fit in ME1's Commons area.

4. Choices. Unlike the other ME's 3 has absolutely no re-playability, since nothing you've done in any of the previous games or even in ME3 has any real effect on the ending, of which there are basically 2 choices.
I've also seen complaints that the game forces you to make "renegade" decisions in order to finish. So for a game that redefined what it felt like to make choices in a game ME3 is a complete fail. I'd give it one star for this one alone.

I'd give it 5 stars in fun, but too many things take away from the experience: The greatness of the first two titles, the unacceptably bad animations, the gutting of areas and choices. The sad thing is i think most of the flaws and especially the gutted content were by design, so EA can sell us the remaining portions of the game piecemeal. Sell us the beta, then sell us the upgrade to the finished product over the next year or two. I won't be surprised one bit when all the DLC is packaged with multiplayer content so as to raise the price and require you to buy things you don't want to get the things you do. I won't be buying any of the DLC for ME3. This will be my last EA purchase.

To the guys who made Bioware a great company, quit. Leave now and start over. EA has indoctrinated you and turned this great franchise into just another husk.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus