A Song of Ice and Fire

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Demerzel

A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Demerzel »

Can someone give me the setup of this series? I've heard a lot about this (okay I Googled 'books like Dune' and this was in almost every list). Please don't spoil it, just tell me the basic genre/type of characters/etc. Thanks.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Spicelon

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Spicelon »

ASoIaF is an unfinished series. There are now 5 books in the series, and they are BIG (lots of pages).

The setting most closely resembles that of feudal England, so technology is pretty much non-existant. There are a few magical elements, which while important to the overall plot, they basically exist offscreen and are given very little direct attention. So, based on all that, this series more closely resembles what we might call "fantasy" rather than "sci-fi". Having said that, I would strongly argue that this series is most definitely NOT your typical derivative fantasy series. Very different.

I think how this series compares to Dune is in world building elements, character building, political machinations and political power struggles, and a decided smeary blur in the boundary between "good" and "evil". Neither series contains much that is clearly black and white. Ecological influences and messianic struggles are things you won't find in ASoIaF.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

Would you recommend any book over this if I'm currently seeking something Dune-like?
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything. There are others here who would be able to give btter advice in that area than me. However, I believe ASoIaF is extremely worthy of a read, no matter what your reading preferences or inclinations might be.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I love ASoIaF, but I wouldn't even think of it if asked to come up with books like Dune! Definitely read it, unless the author ruins the last couple books this is a series people will LITERALLY be reading alongside the "classics" hundreds of years from now... but don't go into it with any specific expectations or comparing it to other works. Especially Herbert, he and GRRM have very very very different styles.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Hmmm, not many things like Dune out there but Niven is a safe bet for scope. His known space books are numerous yet very different from one another. Alastair Reynolds is a good bet for something more modern that is Dune like. Can't coment on ASoFaI, have never read it. I tend to stay away from fantasy.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

For similar to Dune I'd keep rolling with the FH and read the Pandora series.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Is anyone here on the official A Song of Ice and Fire forum?

I realize that I've lost interest in things Dune lately and I know that my posts will not add anything to the conversation here. But I still lurk here often and once every month or two I could not resist the urge to post. But to be honest, despite the fact that you guys can be somewhat mean sometimes, I've had a lot of fun discussing all things Dune with you guys over the years. I miss it.

Anyway, I'm now thanks to HBO a fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series. I have regular discussions with other fans on the main ASOIAF forum. Are any of you guys on that forum?

By the way: even if I still was a New Dune fan, I cannot find ANY of Brian and Kevin's books in any bookstores I go to here in Indonesia or in Europe (I travel there frequently). You know there is a sharp drop in the popularity when bookstores outside the States stop selling their crap.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Nebiros wrote:I still lurk here often and once every month or two I could not resist the urge to post. But to be honest, despite the fact that you guys can be somewhat mean sometimes
:lol: Ah, ha, ha! :lol: These people can be assholes, but what do you expect? Its the internetz! I've also enjoyed ASOIAf, and may have a look at their forum- but maybe not. I got here through chiggerblog in anger at what Brian Herbert and Kevin J. "Master of Universes" Anderson had done to Dune. Hopefully, Mr. Martin will be with us for a bit longer and write more books- but it looks like he may be only one or two chimichangas away from a massive heart attack.

I think that any great book will do if you want to read something like Dune. ASOIAF is great, as is American Gods, and other Neil Gaiman books. I read the Reynolds books, and they're all right. If you want to read something like Dune, I suggest you go to the epics. Classical mythology would not be a bad follow up to the Dune story. I think that anyone who enjoyed Dune has most likely read the Pandora series, although I could never finish the third book. I enjoyed the first two, though.

Nebiros, I reread your post. You were a "New Dune" fan?

Also, I just realized that this is a zombie thread. Whatever.
I bring nothing to the table.
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Nebiros, I reread your post. You were a "New Dune" fan?
I was before Sandworms of Dune was released. Norma taking Omnius to an alternate universe made me stop buying and reading the books.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I sometimes think that I should give McDune another chance...
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I miss my questions...
distrans

Post by distrans »

that got to hurt
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

srsly, Nebby must have some kinda auto-script that searches
the board and sends him an email alert whenever his name is
mentioned ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008