Amazon Kindle Fire? the end of printed media?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Amazon Kindle Fire? the end of printed media?

Post by Freakzilla »

Kindle Fire works flawlessly so far.

:clap:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I've been informed by the girlfriend I will be receiving the nook touch for Festivus :D

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Let us know what you think of the Nook, Rob!

I kind of hope the kids get tired of the Kindle so I can use it... don't think it's going to happen.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Robspierre wrote:I've been informed by the girlfriend I will be receiving the nook touch for Festivus :D

Rob
There's a dirty joke in there somewhere...
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've got a nook touch for you...
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Freakzilla wrote:I've got a nook touch for you...

Touch a touch touch me! I want to be dirty!

Rob
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Creature of the night?
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Creature of the night.

Rob
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have a nook tablet and a nook color (rooted :twisted: ), and love them both.

the irony being that I use neither for reading ebooks. Got all my gaming books on PDF, and can play angry birds when its not my turn.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I haven't been able to pry the Fire from my kid's hands for three days.
~Pink Snowman
Demerzel

Post by Demerzel »

My long term plan involves reading ebooks and purchasing the physical copy of the books i really like :banana-dreads:
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

There's WAY too many books to choose from. :?
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

New browser update looks good. :D
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Okay fellow Jackals-

I'm taking a Western Civ class and a non-Western Civ class this semester. A metric tonne of reading to be sure, and lots of .pdf hand-outs online. So, I'm considering buying an e-reader to literally "lighten the load". I'd prefer an e-ink one for reasons of eye-strain, but I'll listen to alternatives. I want something cheap, easy to load different file types to, and I'd like it if there were one that can hide certain of the files on it. Also, do any reader file types allow for editing/annotating of the texts?

Thanks for any help, fellow Iduali.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You can annotate on the Fire and it's a mini-tablet. I don't think you can beat everything it does for the price. Hiding files might be an issue, I haven't gotten that deep into it, yet, though.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Apjak wrote:Okay fellow Jackals-

I'm taking a Western Civ class and a non-Western Civ class this semester. A metric tonne of reading to be sure, and lots of .pdf hand-outs online. So, I'm considering buying an e-reader to literally "lighten the load". I'd prefer an e-ink one for reasons of eye-strain, but I'll listen to alternatives. I want something cheap, easy to load different file types to, and I'd like it if there were one that can hide certain of the files on it. Also, do any reader file types allow for editing/annotating of the texts?

Thanks for any help, fellow Iduali.
I'm still very pleased with the basic Kobo reader I got at Wal-mart for $85 ...
no frills (like keyword-search), but reads pdf, epub, rtf & txt .... I've also found
file management easy to do using a memory card, like a camera's ... I pull the card
out & put in it the computer & drag&drop new files, delete old ones ... the reader
updates when the card is replaced, so I don't have to use the reader's interface
to delete a bunch of files one at a time ... I've got three of these memory cards I use
with it ... one is loaded down with all the pdfs of the CSA Army Regs & so forth, one
the books I'm reading for entertainment, and the other I use to load up specific things
I might use at an SCV meeting or such ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

My sister bought an Pandigital eReader for my mother, off of Craigslist. She also sent an SD card with about 2,500 books. I can't get the damn thing to open any of the books (I did manage to get Bejeweled to play, lol). I got it to open the library once, and I noticed a bunch of Stephen King, but grrrrrrr!! I hope I can figure this damn thing out.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Mandy wrote:My sister bought an Pandigital eReader for my mother, off of Craigslist. She also sent an SD card with about 2,500 books. I can't get the damn thing to open any of the books (I did manage to get Bejeweled to play, lol). I got it to open the library once, and I noticed a bunch of Stephen King, but grrrrrrr!! I hope I can figure this damn thing out.
Ouch ... My crooked fingers can open any paper book I want to read. Until my last breath I will only read paper books, no pixel ones.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

If you're going the pdf route, don't buy anything that doesn't have an SD slot.

Also, you can use the SD slot to hide certain files, just load them on the SD slot then remove it when you need too.

I really like my nook tablet, but the partitioned drive is a bummer. (doesn't matter as much since I have a 32gb sd card for it, but still...principle!) Of course that will all change once I get it rooted like my nook color.

e-ink screens are better for long term reading, but i'd either go with a larger lcd screen for pdf's or wait until a touch-based e-ink screen comes out in a larger format. Mid-year I'd expect to see some of those popping up, as well as e-ink that supports color.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I really wish my sister had read some of the reviews of this thing before buying it (hope she didn't pay much for it). All the issues the reviewers had with it, I'm having. Tapping the screen gets mixed results, sometimes the files are locked and sometimes they're not, there's no way (that I can see) to scroll through the books, half the time I just get a blank screen and then it locks up and I have to force close. BAH!

On the other hand, I downloaded Calibre so I could sort through the books on the sd card. Calibre is fantastic.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Ok, I'm gonna stop bitching now. The machine might be complete shit, but I now have digital copies of all the Dune novels, plus 10 Iain Banks novels... I'm not even halfway through the list of books yet.

OH, and I don't know if this sd card came with the machine my sister bought (probably) but whoever collected all these books had the good taste not to bother with even on KJA novel :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://news.yahoo.com/kindle-fire-6-3-m ... 40016.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon has issued its latest software update for the Kindle Fire with a change that makes reading ebooks a lot more social.

The 6.3 Kindle Fire software version, released Thursday, lets device owners share favorite passages and notes from their ebooks on Facebook and Twitter. Passages and notes can already be highlighted and seen by other Kindle Fire readers viewing the same book, but Amazon wanted to bring the sharing and conversation online.

Among the new updates is a feature called Book Extras. This allows users to see supplemental material -- from character descriptions and a glossary of common terms and locations used in the book to author information -- without leaving the book. This feature can be accessed by tapping the top of the screen to bring up the toolbar and menu button, where Book Extras is located.
In addition, users who write, take notes, highlight passages and create personal documents within the device can store them in the Amazon Cloud and access them at any time via the Kindle Fire.

Amazon also announced an upgrade for its Kindle Fire browser, Silk. The browser can now load certain text on a website and isolate it from the rest of the crowded page.

"Silk will load the body of the page in a reading-optimized, single screen view (even for multi-page articles)," Amazon said in a press release. "The full page is still available in the background, allowing the reader to easily toggle back to a traditional view to see other interesting features on the page."

An additional perk of the new software upgrade include longer movie rentals, which allows rented films to not expire for a period of time after the user starts to watch it, opposed to when they start to download.

"Print replica textbooks" are also now available for purchase and are exact copies of printed textbooks in ebook form. Amazon notes that users can save up to 60% off the list price of textbooks by going digital.

To update your Kindle Fire, users should connect to a Wi-Fi network and tap the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of the device to "Sync." Updates should be performed when the device is fully charged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Run, don't walk, and get yourself the Calibre program for all of your etext management needs. This program is boss. And free. It will also convert pretty much any filetype as long as there's no DRM on it. But just because there's DRM doesn't mean you can't use the program to manage your ebooks.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks!
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Spicelon wrote:Run, don't walk, and get yourself the Calibre program for all of your etext management needs. This program is boss. And free. It will also convert pretty much any filetype as long as there's no DRM on it. But just because there's DRM doesn't mean you can't use the program to manage your ebooks.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Agreed. I use it to make EPUBs for students. Very easy to use. Though it seems to work better to create them from Word Docs than from PDF's which is sad because I hate using Word for anything.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros