Amazon Kindle Fire? the end of printed media?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Amazon Kindle Fire? the end of printed media?

Post by Freakzilla »

So, I can make kindle books from my Dune PDFs with this?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:So, I can make kindle books from my Dune PDFs with this?
Yes. You could also just go to one those Russian sites that has the text and convert it with http://dotepub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Yes. You could also just go to one those Russian sites that has the text and convert it with http://dotepub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which works better?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Which works better?
I've never tried to make a kindle file with dotepub, but the sheer convenience of tapping a button on my iPad to convert text to a more usable file is very nice. I'm assuming it works the same way on a Fire trying to make a MOBI file for Kindle.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My kf died yesterday, wouldn't charge. :(

I chatted with Amazon tech support this morning and told them about it...

New one will be here by Wednesday.

:dance:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology- ... 48229.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nook version of War and Peace contains embarrassing search-and-replace error

Editors are pretty important people. They keep books, magazines, and even websites error free. But what happens when you take shortcuts and skimp on professional editing? You open yourself up to significant embarrassment, as the publisher of the Nook e-book version of War and Peace is finding out.

While reading a copy he downloaded on his Barnes & Noble Nook for 99 cents, eagle-eyed blogger Philip Howard noticed the odd usage of the word "Nookd." It was a bizarre inclusion, but since War and Peace is translated from the original Russian, the word didn't truly stand out.

"Thinking this was simply a glitch in the software," Howard explains, "I ignored the intrusive word and continued reading. Some pages later I encountered the rogue word again. With my third encounter I decided to retrieve my hard cover book and find the original (well, the translated) text."

It turns out that every instance of "kindled" had been replaced with "Nookd," with Kindle, of course, being the name of Nook's competitor. It's believed the mistake happened as a result of a lazy application for inclusion in the Nook Book Store. The book's publisher likely performed a search-and-replace to change all references to Amazon's competing e-book Kindle, not realizing that Leo Tolstoy had used the word "kindled" no fewer than eight times in the text.

:lol:
~Pink Snowman