Another Musical Instrument Question

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Crysknife

Re: Another Musical Instrument Question

Post by Crysknife »

Yeah I agree. I remember when I was first learning the guitar seemed almost beyond my grasp. Like it was mythical and stuff like the electronics dumbfounded me. I still don't know everything but it doesn't get more simple once it's all layed out. I do some crazy stuff with my cigar box guitars. I'm going to try my hand at making my own mag pickups pretty soon here as well.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm going to try to wind my own pickups for a project I'm planning too... not sure how successful that'll be but I'll try!

I remember the first time I ripped apart a speaker woofer - I don't know what I was expecting to see, but I was expecting some impressive technology. All I got was a bloody coil of wire inside a magnet, and the elegant simplicity of it blew my mind at the time!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'm going to try to wind my own pickups for a project I'm planning too... not sure how successful that'll be but I'll try!
I remember reading an article about Eddie Van Halen doing that, I don't think he did too well his first try, either.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:I'm going to try to wind my own pickups for a project I'm planning too... not sure how successful that'll be but I'll try!
I remember reading an article about Eddie Van Halen doing that, I don't think he did too well his first try, either.
Well if it was before or after he went insane that makes me worry! I know I can build a functioning pickup, it's just a coil of wire really - the question is will it be any GOOD!?

It's going to be a weird one, just a single pole (extra wide - maybe oval shaped pole or a blade shape) with a special base... made for picking up a single string (or group of strings) on a grand piano.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I didn't realize he was ever sane. :crazy:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I didn't realize he was ever sane. :crazy:
Good point! I just remember back when he was with Peavey for his amps and guitars they told me a story (right after he and they parted ways actually) that he stormed into Harvey Peavey's office demanding royalties on all guitars Peavey sold with humbucker pickups? Harvey naturally asked something like "why the hell?!".

Eddie's reason/claim was that he had invented the humbucker pickup. :crazy:

:lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

All he did was re-wind it, dip it in parafin wax and angle it so it wasn't [perpendicular] to the strings.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:All he did was re-wind it, dip it in parafin wax and angle it so it wasn't [perpendicular] to the strings.
Yeah we all thought it was pretty funny he said that, seeing as the humbucker pickup was invented long before he was even born! What a goof.

I'm just going to take a pole (or other shape...) of neodymium magnet, put pieces on each end to hold in the windings and wind pickup wire around it until I think it's bloody good... then see what happens. I won't be using it for anything live so I'll just skip the wax.
MetaCugel8262

Post by MetaCugel8262 »

This whole sandworm thing, interesting. I myself might equate it with the Catholic Chruch and it's similar kind, both in religion, culture(hipster tyranny for example) political corrections, dubious common "wisdom", politics and group think of all types. As a form of mental and spiritual repression and limitation on freedom, it over the course of many generations forced people through creative will to carve out their own niche, sometimes in pain...sometimes under actual threat of death, and because of this pressure to finally and genuinely achieve a measure of authentic autonomy and freedom. Also, I do not believe in Eternity. I believe in Infinity...as in an Infinite path carved with unrivaled skill.
The play of words can lead to certain expectations which life is unable to match. This is a source of much insanity and other forms of unhappiness...-Wreave Saying: Whipping Star
A Thing of Eternity

MetaCugel8262 wrote:This whole sandworm thing, interesting. I myself might equate it with the Catholic Chruch and it's similar kind, both in religion, culture(hipster tyranny for example) political corrections, dubious common "wisdom", politics and group think of all types. As a form of mental and spiritual repression and limitation on freedom, it over the course of many generations forced people through creative will to carve out their own niche, sometimes in pain...sometimes under actual threat of death, and because of this pressure to finally and genuinely achieve a measure of authentic autonomy and freedom. Also, I do not believe in Eternity. I believe in Infinity...as in an Infinite path carved with unrivaled skill.
This kind of thing should really be it's own thread, we diverge from the original discussion here all the time but it always happens as a natural part of conversation, you just start posting about new topics completely seperate from the conversation out of the blue.

If you're trying to figure out my screen name (it's pretty difficult to tell what your post is about though), A Thing of Eternity is an English translation of Shai Hulud, which is Arabic.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I've seen people make a bitchen single pole pickup using the copper coil from an electric hair clipper. Just add a rod and magnet. The thing screams.
A Thing of Eternity

Crysknife wrote:I've seen people make a bitchen single pole pickup using the copper coil from an electric hair clipper. Just add a rod and magnet. The thing screams.
Good idea for a pre-coiled coil...

The pole itself can be the magnet right? The only reason most guitar pickups use one magnet across the bottom is because it's easier right?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

MetaCugel8262 wrote:This whole sandworm thing, interesting. I myself might equate it with the Catholic Chruch and it's similar kind, both in religion, culture(hipster tyranny for example) political corrections, dubious common "wisdom", politics and group think of all types. As a form of mental and spiritual repression and limitation on freedom, it over the course of many generations forced people through creative will to carve out their own niche, sometimes in pain...sometimes under actual threat of death, and because of this pressure to finally and genuinely achieve a measure of authentic autonomy and freedom. Also, I do not believe in Eternity. I believe in Infinity...as in an Infinite path carved with unrivaled skill.
I miss suzie wong...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

She love you long time, Lo! :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Another of those empty promises the internet is so fond of...
I'm still waiting for a bigger penis too.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I saw the biggest penis imaginable last weekend.

In Dayton and Cincinnati. ;) :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

We have dicksign the likes of which gawd has never seen

(also, I had to scroll down for context, so the first sentence was... well you guess what it was)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome. I want that bass!!!!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Check this bad girl out:

http://divine-jones.com/syrena.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Wow, that's beautiful!
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »