Another Musical Instrument Question

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Re: Another Musical Instrument Question

Post by Sandwurm88 »

This guitar kind of reminded me of 1920s-era cars for some reason. It's a custom Gretsch Falcon, which are some of the most beautiful guitars in the world visually IMO.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Resurrecting this thread to say I just got one of these:

Rickenbacker 4003. Expensive, but amazing.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Wow, another ric fan!! Best bass in the world.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

After playing a Mexican J-bass for a while, it took me a month or two to get used to the wide neck, but it's been a complete gem otherwise. The tones are amazing, you can get really mellow, bright sounds from the neck pick-up, and that unique, thin, almost twangy sound from isolating the bridge pup with the vintage tone selector that makes it sound like a 4001. It's also got the bridge mute, and although I've had it for about five months, still have barely experimented with that yet... just so many options! I tend to keep it on 4003-mode with both pups on, putting the volume of the neck pup slightly louder.

For those who aren't that familiar with it, Paul McCartney actually played a Ric (not the Hofner 500/1 "Violin Bass" he was known for) on a lot of the albums after "Help!". Pretty sure he used a 1999 (which is the British equivalent of a 4001S) for all of Sgt. Pepper's. I really feel like more people should use these babies --only thing is the expense. I'm in two bands right now, and it seems like every gig I play, the other bassists will have 90% Squier/Fender P or J basses with the occasional Ibanez Soundgear or Musicman Stingray thrown in there....but on the other hand, it always feels cool to be the only guy in the room with a Ric.

Also, the thing just looks so cool, pictures don't do it justice at all.