Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Sci-Fi/Fantasy book suggestions?

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
Omphalos wrote:but poesy is acceptable.
Mmmm... iffy. :lol:
Gimmie a break. I'm doing this on an iPod. One finger reaches clear across three keys.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Alright, so if you don't want to be beat over the head with the same message over and over and over and over in one book, then stay the fuck away from Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I liked the first few books, childish though they were, when I was a teen, later grew out of them. But after the first few Goodkind basically went sliding down a slope of pure shit into "preach at people all day" land... very bad stuff. Very repetitive, like more repetitive than KJA's writing.

And to top it off, he's got an enourmous ego.
+1,000,000

I actually made it like 8 books in and finally had enough. I mean, I could have stopped sooner, but for some reason I kept giving it one more chance. There's a reason that series was made into a crappy TV show and Martin's Game of Thrones appeared on HBO, knowhutimsayin?

And yes, Goodkind schlerps the proverbial cock of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. It really isn't pretty. Also, on his "forum" you are not allowed to discuss any other books than his. At all. He's a douche bag.

And William Gibson, as mentioned by Mandy, is awesome. That guy was ahead of his time.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Alright, so if you don't want to be beat over the head with the same message over and over and over and over in one book, then stay the fuck away from Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I liked the first few books, childish though they were, when I was a teen, later grew out of them. But after the first few Goodkind basically went sliding down a slope of pure shit into "preach at people all day" land... very bad stuff. Very repetitive, like more repetitive than KJA's writing.

+1,000,000

I actually made it like 8 books in and finally had enough. I mean, I could have stopped sooner, but for some reason I kept giving it one more chance. There's a reason that series was made into a crappy TV show and Martin's Game of Thrones appeared on HBO, knowhutimsayin?

And yes, Goodkind schlerps the proverbial cock of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. It really isn't pretty. Also, on his "forum" you are not allowed to discuss any other books than his. At all. He's a douche bag.
Also he doesn't like his fantasy books to be referred to as fantasy, he just considers them literature about human perseverance or some BS like that!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Spicelon wrote:

+1,000,000

Also he doesn't like his fantasy books to be referred to as fantasy, he just considers them literature about human perseverance or some BS like that!
He's such a wanker!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I still recommend Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile, Intervention and Galactic Milieu series.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

In The World Inside by Robert Silverberg (1972). 400 years from now, all of humanity lives in thousand-storey arcologies. It seems like a perfect combo of a drug and alcohol-imbibing free sex, completely anti-abortion society. Everyone seems completely happy in these million-person skyscrapers...but are they?
TheCurtOne

Post by TheCurtOne »

ErasOmnius wrote:In The World Inside by Robert Silverberg (1972). 400 years from now, all of humanity lives in thousand-storey arcologies. It seems like a perfect combo of a drug and alcohol-imbibing free sex, completely anti-abortion society. Everyone seems completely happy in these million-person skyscrapers...but are they?
Ah yes, the sexual world of the urban monads. This book - very much in demand way back when, by guys in our middle school, before the internet. Very much a mastur...oops, I mean masterpiece.

Also, read Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge. One of the most realistic science fiction books ever. Set only a decade in the future, it shows where society is racing in just a few short years. The Gu family is great.