Very Off topic plant related question.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

reverendmotherQ.

Very Off topic plant related question.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

I am currently writing a story which will require certain knowledge of hallucinogenic plants that grow in the swamp (since this is where the story takes place). I am quite ignorant on the subject and Sheria mentioned that there are a few experts on the forum who may be able to give me a few pointers as to where to look as far as research goes.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. And I am in repentance currently since I have been away from the forum for so long

Image - True story.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Very Off topic plant related question.

Post by Omphalos »

You're looking for some guidance as to research you can do?

You might try looking at hallucinogenic mycotoxins that can be found in fungi. Makes sense in a swamp.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I live near a swamp, but the only hallucinogenic plants I know about (around here) are the shrooms that grow in cow poo.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Don't know of any that grow in swamps. Deserts and cow pastures, yes...
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

And nothing is off-topic in Ghafla.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
reverendmotherQ.

Yes - guidance was what I meant :facepalm over failure to communicate: I was trying to see if there was anything other than shrooms but that seems as though it may be it unless I manage to dig up something else while I am researching. I did come across something about morning glories but honestly I don't know why that appeared in my research about swamp related plants. Thanks for the pointers.
reverendmotherQ.

Mandy wrote:I live near a swamp, but the only hallucinogenic plants I know about (around here) are the shrooms that grow in cow poo.
Oh joy - I may have to stretch credibility just to make it a bit less crude. lol.
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Try Erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for all your entheogen-related research :D
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:Try Erowid:

I just finished Drug Recognition training with the Kansas Highway Patrol. It's funny because they recommended erowid for drug information, and PiKAL too.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
reverendmotherQ.

Apjak wrote:
Aquila ka-Hecate wrote:Try Erowid:

I just finished Drug Recognition training with the Kansas Highway Patrol. It's funny because they recommended erowid for drug information, and PiKAL too.

Thanks Aquila! I appreciate the help.

How is that job so far btw, Apjak?
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I work in a high school as security, so it's was good training considering it lasted 16 hours. All of the high schools and middle schools admins and the schools nurses were there. The first day was a lot of drug classifications, and identifiers both medical and cultural. The second day was field sobriety tests, so if nothing else, I know what they're looking at with the follow my pen and walk this line stuff. I'd wondered for a while why they don't just hand you a breathalyzer and get it over with.

I'm generally libertarian so it's strange being around people who absolutlely demonize drug use. I've never actually used any drugs (excepting alcohol), and I think habitual drug users often demonstrate "Darwin in action". It's clear to me that they have no place in schools, the drugs or the users. So I do my job; I break up fights and search kids for pot.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Hell, I smoked pot AT high school.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:Hell, I smoked pot AT high school.
Same here. I finally found out that the dizzyness wasn't as likeable as the alcoholbuzz so I switched to drinking booze. I never stopped :D
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Serkanner wrote:
Same here. I finally found out that the dizzyness wasn't as likeable as the alcoholbuzz so I switched to drinking booze. I never stopped :D
I almost got caught smoking pot in the girl's bathroom, because I was so stoned I didn't realize it was the girl's bathroom. I wasn't caught, but I did get interrupted, but not by a teacher. I was a fucking idiot.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I once went to such a bad high school- it was so bad that sometimes the student's would go into a closet to smoke their dope. You could really smell it. That closet was in the classroom. The teacher didn't say anything 'cause she didn't care. Maybe she was scared.
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah, everyone I knew was either smoking weed at school or dropping acid. Maybe 1% of offenders were ever caught. Smoked pot at school just once, then I had to recite Shakespear from memory... didn't go so well, decided to lay off the pot at school (I was drunk at school quite a few times though) - plus that was when I was learning that pot was starting to give me unpleasant highs (looks like I could be allergic) so I haven't smoked often since.

If people want less pot at school and in their kids' possession, there's one option and one option only: legalize it and sell it like alcohol is sold. Kids will still get it, but it'll cost them probably double and it will be far far harder for them to get their hands on (ask any kid older than 12 which drug is easier for them to get, weed or alcohol, and most will reply weed is easier to get. Ask any kid older than 15 and it'll be 10 out of 10 saying weed, guaranteed).
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Never smoked pot or got drunk at all. Conformist rebellion didn't really speak to me... :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I didn't have overbearing parents, so there never really was any rebelling for me to do, I even told them when I drank and smoked pot (I mostly just smoked pot in Jr High, very very rarely after that). Not that they encouraged it, but they were more concerned with me doing whatever I was going to do safely than me doing it or not. They knew I was going to drink, made sure I knew I should call for a ride and never drive or get in a car with a drunk, they new I'd probably do drugs, so they told me to be careful who I bought it from, and again not to drive, and they knew I'd have sex (not as much as I'd've like to though... (and HOLY SHIT, double contraction! Chig needs to see this!!) so they told me to make sure I kept condoms around (EDIT: My mom's words were actually something more along the lines of "two forms of birthcontrol at all times"! :lol: ).

Their trust in me being responsible was a huge part of why I rarely abused that trust. Every kid is different though, they gave me an inch and I sometimes took 2, some kids woud take a mile.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

merkin muffley wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
I almost got caught smoking pot in the girl's bathroom, because I was so stoned I didn't realize it was the girl's bathroom. I wasn't caught, but I did get interrupted, but not by a teacher. I was a fucking idiot.
I cringe at the thought of the ridiculous shit that went on at school. One of the first times I ever went out for a drink (we were still well under 18), one of the lads lit a doob in the pub and we were asked to leave. :o That sort of thing happened constantly, on and off school property. With hindsight I can't believe people got away with it.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -