Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Lawliet

Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Post by Lawliet »

I don't think this has been discussed here before, so i thought it would be interesting. I want to know your opinion about this documentary film, the third one in the Zeitgeist series. If you haven't seen it here it is:

Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Post by SandRider »

I've seen this several times now - it will take quite a while to "discuss" it ...

in general, as with most "serious" films of this sort, there are a lot a very valid points brought up,
and a lot of bullshit, too ...

my "quick" review would be that is worth watching and the topics certainly worth thinking about ...
some of the "solutions" offered are unworkable utopian pipedreams, but those are also worth thinking about ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

and by "unworkable utopian pipedreams" I would go further to say, "Tyranny for the 'good' of it victims".
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

SandRider wrote:in general, as with most "serious" films of this sort, there are a lot a very valid points brought up,
and a lot of bullshit, too ...
I thought the scene at the start of the film where a kid is sleeping on the sidewalk while across the street some guy is stuffing shrimp into his mouth was laugh-out-loud funny. Also, the very ending of the film was fucking stupid. One scene, especially. Shit just hit the fan and some lady reacts to the news (at 2:34) with a smile on her face like everything's going to be alright now. You stupid bitch! But wait... she's right. Everything turns out alright and everyone lives happily ever after.
Aside from those two scenes, I really enjoyed this movie.
SandRider wrote:my "quick" review would be that is worth watching and the topics certainly worth thinking about ...
some of the "solutions" offered are unworkable utopian pipedreams, but those are also worth thinking about ...
Part three showcased these "unworkable utopian pipedreams" and it was my least favorite (least favorite?) part of the movie. I kept thinking: Just move on already- none of this shit will ever happen! Things are the way they are and they're not going to get any better.
Apjak wrote:and by "unworkable utopian pipedreams" I would go further to say, "Tyranny for the 'good' of it victims".
You make that sound like a bad thing.
I bring nothing to the table.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Part three showcased these "unworkable utopian pipedreams" and it was my least favorite (least favorite?) part of the movie. I kept thinking: Just move on already- none of this shit will ever happen! Things are the way they are and they're not going to get any better.
Apjak wrote:and by "unworkable utopian pipedreams" I would go further to say, "Tyranny for the 'good' of it victims".
You make that sound like a bad thing.
I bow to only one tyrant.Image

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.
—C. S. Lewis
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't want to be made to be a better person than I want to be.

(Haven't watched the film... haven't found the block of time needed to watch it when I haven't had to do or felt like doing something else instead.)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Apjak wrote: Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.
—C. S. Lewis
That is a nice quote! Do you know if he made it before or after his conversion to Christianity?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I only know that it's from a collection of speeches titled "God in the Dock" which where, on the whole, Christian Apologetics, but I can't speak for that speech's chronology specifically, because it's more political. And regardless of one's philosophical and religious views, I find C. S. Lewis and his predecessor G. K. Chesterton to be lucid thinkers and eloquent.

Brevity is the soul of wit. -William Shakespeare
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

And regardless of one's philosophical and religious views, I find C. S. Lewis and his predecessor G. K. Chesterton to be lucid thinkers and eloquent.
Just to be clear, I wasn't questioning the validity of his statement due to his beliefs, I just wanted to know his background at the time he was saying it.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity