Promethius

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Promethius

Post by Freakzilla »

First Look at 'Prometheus': Ridley Scott's 'Alien' origin story revealed at Comic-Con
by Anthony Breznican
Categories: 3-D, Comic-Con, Movies

Turns out Prometheus actually will be an origin story — just not solely about the Alien franchise.

Screenwriter Damon Lindelof and co-star Charlize Theron came to Comic-Con Thursday and described the secretive sci-fi epic — currently being shot by Ridley Scott, director of 1979′s original Alien — as a story about humanity’s efforts to solve the mystery of our own beginnings in the universe. (The 3-D film is debuting next summer on June 8.)

“We begin at the beginning,” Lindelof said during a session with reporters before the film’s big Hall H panel presentation. “Ridley has been cryptically obtuse about everything, but there are some big ideas in Prometheus. It covers a vast expanse of time, past, present, and future.”

“God, you’re talking like the guy who created Lost,” Theron teased him.

Comic-Con 2011: Get the latest news, photos, and more

Lindelof — who, of course, did co-create Lost — conceded the point. “If you’re looking for answers, you’ve come to the wrong place,” he shrugged.

But then, he actually gave a few …
“It doesn’t take place on Earth in any real significant way,” Lindelof said. “The way we’re exploring the future is away from Earth and [asking] what are people like now? What have they gone through and what are they thinking of?”

And those “big ideas” he hinted at: “Space exploration in the future is going to evolve into this idea that it’s not just about going out there and finding planets to build colonies. It also has this inherent idea that the further we go out, the more we learn about ourselves. The characters in this movie are preoccupied by the idea: what are our origins.”

Prometheus is a more philosophically ambitious sci-fi project, not simply a straight-forward horror film. Or, as Lindelof put it, don’t expect: “’Hey, we’re miners, and oh [expletive] we ended up stepping in this huge pile of very frightening s—!”

“We’re fundamentally exploring this idea of creation,” he said.

During the panel presentation, Scott, who is shooting at a remote waterfall in Iceland, appeared via video to offer a few tidbits to the Comic-Con crowd, among them: there may be two characters in the film who are robots, Theron will be doing “naked push-ups” and the final moments of the movie will thread back to the original Alien film.

A clip of rapid-fire imagery confirmed at least the “naked push-ups” part. And a scene of mechanical tubes filled with columns of green goo looked suspiciously like a technological version of the “egg room” from the original Alien film, suggesting that those monsters may have been engineered rather than naturally evolved.

Prometheus — which also stars Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba and Noomi Rapace — is not strictly a prologue to those movies (which was the original plan during its development). But Lindelof would not confirm or deny whether we’ll see the “space jockey,” that giant, dead pilot whose crashed ship contained the monster in the original Alien. “A lot of the fun in going to see [Prometheus] is if and how we’re going to try to connect that,” Lindelof said. “If you’re a fan of the original film, there will be little Easter eggs for you to find.”

Theron shed a little more light on the character she portrays, a corporate executive named Meredith Vickers who is overseeing the deep-space exploration in Prometheus. “She’s kind of the suit who runs the company that has nickel and dimed this whole thing together to fund this mission,” Theron says.

“Obviously, I wanted to work with [Scott], but felt the character was a little one-dimensional” in the original script, she said. After a re-write by Lindelof, Vickers became a role with a major twist. “She starts out one thing and becomes another thing,” Theron said.

“The great thing about Ridley is he shoots everything so layered and makes you wonder,” she added, saying the filmmaker started putting her in the background of scenes, just to make her more suspicious. “I would always be in the corner lurking, not saying anything, just watching. It adds to this character, her enigma, and what her agenda really is,” Theron said.

As for the title, what is Prometheus? A ship? A character? Simply an allusion to the Greek myth? Or will the alien be revealed as a Frankenstein-like human creation? (Remember, the full title of Mary Shelley’s tale was The Modern Prometheus.)

“We’re not going to talk specifically about how it connects into the movie, but yes, [in Greek mythology], Prometheus was a titan who stole fire from the gods because they were keeping it for themselves and worried about what mankind would do if we got our paws on it. That’s a resonant theme. What are humans doing that we shouldn’t be doing?” Lindelof says.

“It also sounds really pretentious, like Inception,” he joked. “Yeah, it makes the movie sound so smart, which is better than my original title – Explosion!”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/07/21/p ... dley-scot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Promethius

Post by Serkanner »

Charlize Theron is a very good reason to watch a movie.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That's interesting about the movie; I'd heard Scott was doing a prequel, then read that he'd changed his mind and that it wouldn't be related to Alien at all. Sounds like it's something in-between.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:D
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

My understanding of the movie is that it takes place in the same universe as Alien, but is outside of the traditional Alien story. I don't know how much it will have in common, but I am interested in seeing what it will be. I am sucker for these kinds of movies.
Long Live the Fighters.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Yes, he's distancing it from Alien, but I reckon that's 90% a marketing decision (Ship check, space jockey check...), but it also gives him a bit of leeway to keep things interesting for himself and the audience.

These virals are pretty cool too :)

- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

It's probably directed connected, with some leeway, in case Scott wants to make another film to slip in there, in case Prometheus makes a ton of money.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:D
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Every time I see this thread I think it's going to be about those crappy, overpriced, cigar store party favors they laughingly call lighters.
dammit :(
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Thought it might be an idea to move here rather than the general movie thread, in case of spoilers.

Probably not the most obvious question - but why did did they cast a 44 year-old as Weyland?

He's barely in it, couldn't they have pulled some legendary old actor out of retirement for a few days? Used a body-double and digital scans if necessary. The prosthetics were great, but you can always tell. :?
trang

Re: Promethius(spoilers alert!!!!!)

Post by trang »

cool yea the more I have been banging this around in my head the more this movie brings up tons of questions from opening sequence to the last frame.

opening... we see the big muscular alien drink something, looks acidic. there is some big disk turning in the sky, his ship?
The drink causes him to break apart, this is not earth, so what the hell does it mean?

Is this an explanation, at the beginning of the film, that these "engineers". for lack of a better word, find planets and send some sacrificial lamb to break down into the water supply, to create life where none has been? or was it to destroy the life on the planet? or somewhere in between?

the cave painting thing was confusing as hell, maybe if there is a torrent soon, I can rewatch and pick that part up again. It just didnt make sense to me, archaeologists, find cave paintings with a pattern, and it leads them to a spot out in space that just happens to be the same planet from the opening sequence?

from the scene in the ship where david is looking at the recording of the starmaps, it would lead you to believe the engineers have been doing that on hundreds of planets across space. The one they landed on wasn't indicated as a major base of operations or anything. Confusing as hell.

The implications of saying we were some experiment gone wrong or just leftover from the engineers is pretty humbling, and controversial. took some big balls to follow thru on that one.

Will stop here for now.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

3 out of 4 stars.

Five of us saw this in XD 3D, did not give me a headache and was very well done, that said, the film doesn't need 3D. It is very beautifully shot.

Lots of subtle tie-ins to the first two Alien movies BUT this is not really an Alien film, some set up for Alien and those films but even more set up for allowing Scott to go off on any direction he wants.

I recommend another viewing, there is a lot to ponder with this film, we were all pointing out things other missed and seeing new pieces being fitted into the puzzle.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's another one of those "I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the aftertaste is like old socks" flicks.

Nice in an eye-candy way, but some of the stuff just doesn't hang together.

I'll still see any sequels, of course. ;)
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Today was a discount day so I finally watched the movie.

Near the end of the movie I was bored.

I guess I was disappointed both women didn't survive.
"Here we go two lone women in a survival pod....ah, got crushed, darn!"
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks for the spoiler! :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Freakzilla wrote:Thanks for the spoiler! :x
Sorry about the reference to both women dying :wink:

How about...
The two lesbians live happily ever after with the robot.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Mr. Teg wrote:

How about...
Much, much better!
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote:

How about...
Much, much better!
See ?
Now I might watch it too !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

DuneFishUK wrote:Thought it might be an idea to move here rather than the general movie thread, in case of spoilers.

Probably not the most obvious question - but why did did they cast a 44 year-old as Weyland?

He's barely in it, couldn't they have pulled some legendary old actor out of retirement for a few days? Used a body-double and digital scans if necessary. The prosthetics were great, but you can always tell. :?
I believe they were planning on featuring videos that showed him as a young person.

Anyway, the part where she screams "WHY DO YOU HATE US?" at her creator gives me goosebumps. What if our creator was not just apathetic, but actively malicious? What is the relationship between man and his creator then? I really liked it, anyway. Although it's really more like Blade Runner thematically than an Alien movie.
ErasOmnius

Post by ErasOmnius »

Is it true that Ridley Scott said that the Alien-makers wanted to kill humanity by creating the Xenos, and it was becuase of the crucifixtion?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OK... I'll be ignoring this topic until I see the movie.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

My brother and I worked out what the ambiguous parts of the plot were about. Well, my brother did most of it, but since we're both familar with the stories which influenced Prometheus, we knew how to work it out. The alien who sacrificed himself on Earth at the beginning of the movie? He's the alien equivalent of Prometheus, the titan who created humanity and gave them fire. After Prometheus was punished, the Gods were antagonistic towards humanity ever since. They softened up towards humanity and Prometheus after the Gods exjoyed having sex with so many human men and women. This movie, however, asks what if the the alien equivalent of the Greek Gods never reconciled their feelings for humans, felt that humanity was a genetic engineering mistake, and sought to replace them with what they considered to be a purer biological lifeform while in the process of wiping them out. In other words, their primordial pre-Xenomorph experiments were meant to create a perfect being at the expense of humanity. The rest of the plot is derived from Lovecraft's At the Mountain's of Madness, in which the scientists learned that the Elder Things in Antartica were wiped out by their own engineered protoplasmic slaves, the Shoggoths. In Prometheus's context, the albino aliens underestimated how destructive their own experiments were. As a result, most of the aliens who operated in the ziggurat were wiped out, except for the remaining one who was preserved in stasis. Evidently, the last alien, upon reawakening, forgot that the Xenomorph experiments were still lurking and causing havoc, because he was too distracted by the repulsive presence of failed and unwanted experiments (aka humans) surrounding him and asking questions.

Although this combination is brilliant, it's somewhat dolluted by the some stupid writing. Such as after the pre-facehugger was removed from the heroine's chest? No one ever talks about it, like it's not important that they have an unstable alien that's potentially getting bigger in Theron's room. Also, most of the chracters are kind of dumb, except for the android (awesome character, despite his unethical actions). I still find the move brilliant despite it's flaws, and I see it as being the anti-Avatar (huge effects, but more quiet Scott than gung-ho Carmack). The effects of Prometheus would be perfect for a Dune movie.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

It seems we got the opposite out of the movie, then--for you, it was a brilliant movie with some dumb plot choices. For me, it was a dumb movie with a glimmer of brilliance behind it.

It's obvious that Scott (or perhaps Damon Lindelof) embedded a motif of patricide / infanticide in the movie, that it would be a very clever film if it weren't a very dumb one, but--I don't know. I don't even care about the spurious plot holes in the movie; its fatal flaw is that it tries to lift too much of the shroud of mystery. So we're a genetic experiment created by people who are very much like us. So much so that, despite their god-like technology, they still have our worst flaws; like us, they have a tendency to destroy themselves with the products of their ingenuity.

At the same time, their motives for creating us, for wanting to destroy us (so badly that, when one of them wakes up from a thousand-year sleep, the first thing he does is not contact his fellow Engineers, or try to talk to his home planet, ask about his wife and children, something like that, but plot a course straight for Earth to destroy it) are utterly incomprehensible.

Sci-fi movies always have to convince their audience to willingly suspend their disbelief, and whatever suspension effect Prometheus achieves comes crashing down about halfway through the movie. And there's really not enough of the movie that's good or interesting in and of itself to redeem it.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

It was an okay sci-fi/horror flick, but as an Alien prequel -- it bombed.

Agreed with what Chig said about it.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

SandChigger wrote:It's another one of those "I really enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the aftertaste is like old socks" flicks.

Nice in an eye-candy way, but some of the stuff just doesn't hang together.

I'll still see any sequels, of course. ;)
I think that´s called "the Avatar effect".
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam