A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Ampoliros

A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Post by Ampoliros »

Thought I'd start this thread for those of us reading through Book 5.

I just finished the prologue and damn, that was one amazing piece of fantasy literature just by itself. I can't wait to hear what the rest of you think of the new book.

Its amazing what GRRM can do with the smallest of characters. I'd put him at the top of my list to continue the Dune series, but I don't want to pull him away from ASOIAF!
Last edited by Ampoliros on 13 Jul 2011 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: A Dance with Dragons Discussion

Post by Mandy »

My copy probably won't arrive until sometime next week. I've read several rave reviews, and I can't wait till it gets here!

(I'll be avoiding this thread until I catch up)
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah we might want to institute a SPOILER ban for a few days/weeks until people have finished it.

Needless to say, the prologue removed any fear that Martin might have lost some of his talent in the years between the books.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Hopefully I'll get my copy next week. I haven't had a chance to reread the first four, so it'll take me some time before even getting to this one.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I have it coming in the post, but I also have to read A Feast for Crows so I guess I'll be back when I finish both. :)
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I just got the shipping confirmation email from B&N. My book is in New Jersey, maybe it'll be here by Friday! :)
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

First off, don't forget to put a spoilers tag in the subject line of this thread, you should be able to still edit it.

I hope to go grab a copy sometime this week, I read fast so I should be able to catch up with the discussion I hope.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I'm a little over 100 pages in. Yep, Martin is firing on all cylinders.

Rob
Spicelon

Re: A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Post by Spicelon »

It's weird reading on an e-reader. Not because reading on an e-reader is weird, but because I can't tell you how many pages I'm into it I am.

But I can tell you I'm at 4%. :)

I've finished the Prologue and Tyrion 1 and I'm now on Danaerys 1. And yes, Martin is definitely ON. The Prologue was fabulous, and Tyrion! Oh my little man is back! And this time without gold to save his ass. Oh this is going to be good!!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I was surprised by Tyrion's mood until I remembered what a dark time this is for him. I'm going to have to go back and read the end of Storm of Swords again to recap the conversation with his father.
A Thing of Eternity

I'm expecting big things in this book, I think the last one went a little sideways on Martin and repairing it/making sure it finishes strong is why this one took so bloody long.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:I just got the shipping confirmation email from B&N. My book is in New Jersey, maybe it'll be here by Friday! :)
I just want to reiterate how much I love your perky boobs. It has been a while since I did them justice. :D
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Spicelon wrote:
Mandy wrote:I just got the shipping confirmation email from B&N. My book is in New Jersey, maybe it'll be here by Friday! :)
I just want to reiterate how much I love your perky boobs. It has been a while since I did them justice. :D
lol, I always wonder what the hell.. then I remember Six.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I'm on page 687.

All I will say is...HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :clap:

Rob
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I just finished. Wow. Just...wow :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Sometimes I wish I could read that fast, sometimes not. I get to savor it over a few more days!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

"The North Remembers!"

Rob
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

From GRRM's live journal:
On the road... just arrived in Indianapolis. I have a signing tomorrow at the B&N in Carmel. Hope to meet some of you there.

This is the first chance I've had to sit down at a computer since leaving home. The tour has been a blur. We started out in Baltimore, where I signed thousands of copies of DANCE at the Random House warehouse. Those copies will be going to bookstoress all over the country. Maybe one near you. Then on to Boston and NYC.

The Boston signing, at the B&N in Burlington, drew 1500 fans. I also signed several hundred extras copies for them, so if you missed the event, you still may be able to find an autographed copy there. Also signed a mess o' copies at Harvard Books in Cambridge.

In between Boston and NYC, we made a brief stop at New Haven, where I sampled Frank Pepe's famous pizza (excellent) and signed some stock for Yale Books and Atticus Books.

Then it was on to NYC, and the signing at Union Square last night. The B&B folks estimate that we drew 1800 people to that one, and the ache in my shoulder confirms it. An amazing night. Everyone seemed to have a good time, though. SIgned plenty of stock at that one too, some of which will remain at Union Suare, some of which will go to the B&N on 5th Avenue, so NYC should be awash in autographed copies for a few days.

And yesterday morning we learned that DANCE had the highest first day sales totals of any work of fiction released this year. Not just SF and fantasy, but all categories of fiction.

The reviews have been amazing as well.

And then, cherry on the sundae, the Emmy nominations came out. Thirteen nominations for GAME OF THRONES, including the coveted Best Dramatic Series nomination, the "Big One." (Which no one thought we'd get).

It's been quite a ride. When I flew to Indy this morning, I didn't even need a plane!
The first two signings, 1500 and 1800 people.

Gee Kev, how many come to see you and get a book signed?

OOOO look what I found!
http://community.guinnessworldrecords.c ... /7691.html
British model Katie Price is aiming to set a new world record for the largest ever book signing session.

Katie, also known as Jordan, will need to beat a record set by former world chess champion Anatoli Karpov who signed 1,951 copies of his book during an eight-hour sitting in 2006.
and from the Guinness site:
The most books signed by one author in a single session is 1,951 by the ex-World Champion in chess Anatoli Karpov (Russia) who signed "El Camino de una Voluntad" by David Llada and Anatoli Karpov on 21 October 2006 during the Third Mexico City Chess Festival in Mexico.
Poor Kevvy, his record was broken.....

Rob

Rob
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

He'd need L. Ron to come back from the dead to get another big signing.

I do not understand what's taking so long... I'm gonna kick the mailman's ass! :P
A Thing of Eternity

I'm going to try to find a copy today, the bass player in the band I'm recording right now was very dissapointed in me for not having started it yet, he's about 400 pages in and he says it's off the wall good, he said: "hurry up you asshole, I need someone to talk to about the crazy fucking shit that's happening!". :D
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Effin sucks that I was in NYC one day after his NYC signing. Sigh.

Only 300 pages in, just means I have 600 more to enjoy!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Somewhat off-topic, but GRRM has announced that he will release a collection of the first four Dunk and Egg stories.

I've read the first two, with the third around here somewhere ...

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Small thing, but I've always pronounced Arya as Ar-Ya, before I noticed Martin was letting Y = I. So now I'm pronouncing it Aria, which is more musical ( 8) ) and pleasing to the ear.

(Took me until AFFC to notice this by the way... :doh: )
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Somewhat off-topic, but GRRM has announced that he will release a collection of the first four Dunk and Egg stories.
I had thought there were only three of those stories out so far. Cool.
I bring nothing to the table.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:Somewhat off-topic, but GRRM has announced that he will release a collection of the first four Dunk and Egg stories.
I had thought there were only three of those stories out so far. Cool.

The fourth was published in The Warriors anthology.

Rob