A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SadisticCynic

Re: A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Post by SadisticCynic »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Actually, if he dies before finishing, I'd much rather it was left as it is than someone else attempt to finish it. The way of the knife.
The idea for me would be left as is, nobody "finishing" it, however, full release of all relevant notes.
A Chris Tolkien treatment... :drool:

*ahem* Let's not get too carried away though; he's NOT going to die (soon).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:
Spicelon wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Gee, hope he doesn't die before writing the next book. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Yeah, he better not Jordan it all up. That would suck.

I hope he doesn't Jordan it all up BEFORE he dies. I'll be pissed if Arya ever starts tugging her braids.
Great point. GOD I HATED THE BRAID TUGGING!!!!

Just finished my first Arya chapter. It is becoming more and more clear that Arya and Tyrion are head and shoulders above any other POV. Martin really seams to slip into their skins quite easily.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Yeah, you can tell he really loves writing those two.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I think Brandon Sanderson is doing a good job finishing up the Jordan books.
Omphalos wrote:Gee, hope he doesn't die before writing the next book. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Stop saying that!
I bring nothing to the table.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I was looking at a lot of the bashing of the books on the main ASoIaF forum, and most of it seemed to revolve around people thinking some characters were stereotypes (Sam's a good example, other than being fat he's the typical Fantasy hero who thinks he isn't) and whining about the author's tricks making you think a character is dead and then bringing them back.

I remember thinking earlier on when I was reading the books that Cersei was very "stock" (she was eventually fleshed out though), but then I thought: you know what? Some people just ARE stereotypes. And sure, everyone has depth, but not necessarily depth that it's possible for anyone else to see. I don't really think Martin dropped the ball on any characters, if he made everyone too perfectly grey then that itself would become tiring and stereotypical, and flat out unrealistic.

But yes, some characters he certainly hit the ball out of the park on, Arya and Tyrion being obvious ones, but Jon's great too, he reminds me of me at that age (not bragging, just that unflinching sense of honour (now, by sense of honour, I mean the belief that honour is important, and having the right definition of honour, not necessarily following it all the time...) and pragmatism, willingness to be the bad guy if it's the right thing).
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

My biggest ADwD complaint is that he ended too many chapters with cliffhangers, instead of letting some of the action play out where we could actually read it. Some cliffhangers are good, but most of them in this book were kind of pointless since the characters had more POV chapters coming. I couldn't understand why he didn't let us read the good stuff while it was happening now and then.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Aaaaand...Done.

Wow.

Where's the spoiler thread?
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Yeah, still haven't gotten around to reading this one yet. I do have about 200 pages left of my Clash of Kings re-read (I'm a slow reader).

However, I just wanted to share that when I couldn't make the book signing in July my dad went instead and just gave me a signed copy for my birthday. :dance:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I missed the NY signing and meet/greet by 1 day. Not that if I had known I could have pushed my flight up a day...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Finished the series last week. I am suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Pics from the set of season 2 https://plus.google.com/100829589994408 ... Rqif5exzkV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I've been on the set. I'm an extra on the show. Haven't seen anyone famous (which is always the first question), but I did get to see Stannis. :dance:

(Sorry, no pix - I'll get fired otherwise. :( )
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Nice! Did you get to see the stag/flaming heart banner?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Tleszer wrote:Nice! Did you get to see the stag/flaming heart banner?
Yup, it's pretty cool.