Post by Ampoliros »

Serena Butler?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SadisticCynic

Re: A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Post by SadisticCynic »

Finished.

:o
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Argh!!! Moving along glacially, now at 50%. :(

Having a four month old is murder on my reading time.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have a 4 month old addiction to minecraft, is that similar? I just hit page 600.

This will certainly be interesting to see which direction he's going in.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

No rush guys, I can wait to cuss and discuss.

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm getting much closer to done now, so far so awesome. Can't wait to discuss this, should we start a "Finished A Dance with Dragons - Spoiler Alert" thread for discussion by those who finish this?
A Thing of Eternity

Well FUCK. To express how I'm feeling right now without spoilers is difficult, but let's just say that shit gets ugly. I'm not sure whether I believe what just happened on those pages, with Martin one never really knows, he's f-n crazy enough to do just about anything, so maybe it did happen. Or maybe it'll turn out ok. I'm unsure... in shock frankly. Fuck.

I'm betting that even if it turns out ok he's left it to a later book too, just to mess with me. :cry:

EDIT: Still not a spoiler, but nothing this bad has happened since the first 2 books in my opinion. FUUUUUUCKKKK!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I'm pretty sure I know precisely what you mean, but we'll see when you're done. :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Okay, I'm at 56% now, and I hate you all. I have resigned myself to the possibility that a major character, perhaps a crowd favorite, is not going to survive this book. Please please please please let it not be Tyrion.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Well FUCK. To express how I'm feeling right now without spoilers is difficult, but let's just say that shit gets ugly. I'm not sure whether I believe what just happened on those pages, with Martin one never really knows, he's f-n crazy enough to do just about anything, so maybe it did happen. Or maybe it'll turn out ok. I'm unsure... in shock frankly. Fuck.

I'm betting that even if it turns out ok he's left it to a later book too, just to mess with me. :cry:

EDIT: Still not a spoiler, but nothing this bad has happened since the first 2 books in my opinion. FUUUUUUCKKKK!
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then I don't think you should be completely convinced that what you think happened happened, lol.

This interview contains spoilers, and one of them is huge so don't click on it if you haven't finished or aren't getting close to the end. http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/21/dan ... g-twist-g/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:Okay, I'm at 56% now, and I hate you all. I have resigned myself to the possibility that a major character, perhaps a crowd favorite, is not going to survive this book. Please please please please let it not be Tyrion.
Well of course that's always a possibility, this is A Song of Ice and Fire! Every chapter someone could die, at one point when I was reading the second book I was quite convinced he was going to kill absolutely every character and end the series with all new ones! :D

We really need a "finished the book" thread to discuss some of this crazy shit that's gone down! I'm a few pages from the end now.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Spicelon wrote:Okay, I'm at 56% now, and I hate you all. I have resigned myself to the possibility that a major character, perhaps a crowd favorite, is not going to survive this book. Please please please please let it not be Tyrion.
Well of course that's always a possibility, this is A Song of Ice and Fire! Every chapter someone could die, at one point when I was reading the second book I was quite convinced he was going to kill absolutely every character and end the series with all new ones! :D

We really need a "finished the book" thread to discuss some of this crazy shit that's gone down! I'm a few pages from the end now.
I guess I was hoping it was like avoiding the plague or something. If you can survive the first two books, chances are you can make it through to the end.

There are so few Starks left that I'm really pulling for Jon and Arya...even Sansa. Rickon is kind of an afterthought now, and I'm pretty sure I know what Bran's fate is.

As to the other characters we've had around for a while, Tyrion is by far my favorite. And to be honest, I wouldn't cry too much if Dany died. Or Cerse. Or Jaime.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Arya and Tyrion are my favs too, Tyrion pulled into the lead now, but I'm confident Arya will be stepping it up.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Just hit my first Arya chapter. YAY!!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Spicelon wrote:Just hit my first Arya chapter. YAY!!
I liked that answer, because I was pretty freaked out where she was left off before!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Spicelon wrote:Just hit my first Arya chapter. YAY!!
I liked that answer, because I was pretty freaked out where she was left off before!
I think Mandy said something earlier about this, but I'm about 60% in to the book and I'm just now getting to the new parts that don't overlap with AFFC. Woo hoo!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

I'm really looking forward to the next books, because I felt like books 4 and 5 were basically more set-up and such, don't get me wrong, stuff happens, but not on the same scale as the first 3 books at all, especially 2 and 3.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Gee, hope he doesn't die before writing the next book. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:Gee, hope he doesn't die before writing the next book. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
He said in an interview that he's got a couple people filled in on the outline of how the story ends and what happens to all the major characters... not a great system, kinda wish he'd write it down... in the form of books. :wink:
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Omphalos wrote:Gee, hope he doesn't die before writing the next book. :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Yeah, he better not Jordan it all up. That would suck.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

He said in an interview that he's got a couple people filled in on the outline of how the story ends and what happens to all the major characters... not a great system, kinda wish he'd write it down... in the form of books. :wink:

I thought I had read somewhere that he absolutely didn't want anyone else writing in the universe, but that might have just been about fan-fic.

C'mon, give us more about the Doom of Valyria!
A Thing of Eternity

Ampoliros wrote:

I thought I had read somewhere that he absolutely didn't want anyone else writing in the universe, but that might have just been about fan-fic.

C'mon, give us more about the Doom of Valyria!
He may have just been making a joke in the interview I read.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Actually, if he dies before finishing, I'd much rather it was left as it is than someone else attempt to finish it. The way of the knife.
A Thing of Eternity

SadisticCynic wrote:Actually, if he dies before finishing, I'd much rather it was left as it is than someone else attempt to finish it. The way of the knife.
The idea for me would be left as is, nobody "finishing" it, however, full release of all relevant notes.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Spicelon wrote:
Yeah, he better not Jordan it all up. That would suck.

I hope he doesn't Jordan it all up BEFORE he dies. I'll be pissed if Arya ever starts tugging her braids.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.