A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Hunchback Jack

Re: A Dance with Dragons Discussion [No Spoilers!...Yet]

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That was actually only the third D&E story, Rob. He's currently writing the fourth (no title yet), which will appear in an anthology next year and in the D&E collection thereafter.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

It's finally here! Wow, this book is huge.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:It's finally here! Wow, this book is huge.
I discovered small lint balls orbiting my copy.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I finished A Feast For Crows last night/this morning. I should be getting started on A Dance With Dragons sometime today. :dance: :drool:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I really wish I'd reread A Storm of Swords. I've forgotten so much, thankfully the wiki of Ice and Fire is pretty helpful.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:I really wish I'd reread A Storm of Swords. I've forgotten so much, thankfully the wiki of Ice and Fire is pretty helpful.
This is where having an ereader really comes in handy. I have all of the books on my Kindle and it was so easy to quickly go back and read the last POV chapter for certain characters prior to ADwD.

What is the link for that wiki? Is it on the westeros.org website?
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

There's a few little things I'm finding I forgot, but I read all the books within this year so it's not too bad, even with my horrible memory.

I'm trying very hard to catch up so we can discuss this!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Spicelon wrote:
Mandy wrote:I really wish I'd reread A Storm of Swords. I've forgotten so much, thankfully the wiki of Ice and Fire is pretty helpful.
This is where having an ereader really comes in handy. I have all of the books on my Kindle and it was so easy to quickly go back and read the last POV chapter for certain characters prior to ADwD.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been several years since I read the other books, and then I gave them away. I had no idea I'd have to wait 6yrs!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:
Spicelon wrote:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been several years since I read the other books, and then I gave them away. I had no idea I'd have to wait 6yrs!
I think you would love an e-Reader! Go get one! You're on a roll! First broadband, now this! And get a cell phone too while you're at it!!! OMG!!!!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Some asshole posted a very big spoiler on another forum :x
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Main reason I've been avoiding any DwD stuff online besides this forum. Didn't get to read very much on vacation, so I'm only about halfway through.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
A Thing of Eternity

Yeah, I trust the people here, other than that I steer clear of any discussion of this.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

on a side note, which e-reader do you use Spice? I have a Nook Color but its rooted and I really don't use it for an e-reader, even though I have all the ASOIAF books on it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:on a side note, which e-reader do you use Spice? I have a Nook Color but its rooted and I really don't use it for an e-reader, even though I have all the ASOIAF books on it.
What does "rooted" mean, Amp?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Omphalos wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:on a side note, which e-reader do you use Spice? I have a Nook Color but its rooted and I really don't use it for an e-reader, even though I have all the ASOIAF books on it.
What does "rooted" mean, Amp?
Rooting a device basically means cracking or removing the proprietary OS and installing something else, preferably something open sourced. This is really popular with phones, but I didn't know it could be done to an e-reader.

I have a Kindle 3G, and I really like it. I'm thinking of getting my daughter a Nook Color for her 16th birthday, though.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Well, I finished this book, and now I wish I'd gone through it a little slower. I wonder when the next one will come out? I hope Mr. Martin takes care of himself. Like Omphalos said, the guy looks like he's one chimichanga away from having a massive heart attack. I hope not.
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I know this is off-topic, but KJA fans are kind of lucky in that they can enjoy his shit writing, and the guy always has a book on the way.
I bring nothing to the table.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

JustSomeGuy wrote:I know this is off-topic, but KJA fans are kind of lucky in that they can enjoy his shit writing, and the guy always has a book on the way.
:shock:

Shut your mouth! :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

JustSomeGuy wrote:I know this is off-topic, but KJA fans are kind of lucky in that they can enjoy his shit writing, and the guy always has a book on the way.
That's not off topic. That's off kilter. You nuts boy.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I have a rooted Nook Color running CM7 (Android 2.3) and I love it. I have the Nook app and the Kindle app, as well as the ezPDF app and NETFLIX.

the base nook system is nice enough, but I wanted a cheap android tablet and a rooted nook can benchmark alongside the first generation tablets that cost $500.

I only use it for pdf's though, I don't like reading on the LCD screen. I prefer the physical book for reading still. I'll admit i do have a bit of a bias towards the nook though.

In a perfect world I'd have a XOOM tablet...
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

One of the reason I went with Kindle was because the Nook came off as a poor man's tablet. I want a tablet, but I want a REAL one. And I absolutely cannot stand having a touch screen on a device designed for heavy reading. All reviews said the Kindle was still the best pure e-reader, and my test driving of both confirmed that. But man, I had to think pretty long and hard about it. And at this point, should I want a new e-reader, I'm not 100% sold on Kindle.

As to e-readers in general, I'm not looking back. If a book is special enough I'll buy the real McCoy (Like Dance with Dragons) but basically I am done with paper - it's so 2009!! ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

what do you think of the nook simple touch? its a bare-bones e-reader. for me it came down to what I use it for, which is pdfs. I didn't want to buy an ipad even though I love my ipod touch. I might upgrade to a xoom tablet or an asus transformer. Ironic, because the i/os is still the king for loading large pdfs fast.

e-ink tech is starting to get pretty impressive, look up the color e-ink and full motion video tech displays. Within 10 years I wouldn't be surprised to see HD e-ink screens marketed as computer monitors and home video screens.

Heck, within 10 years we probably won't even need screens.

as to the nook being a poor man's tablet, the only feature my rooted nook doesn't have are the physical navigation buttons and a camera. I will say this: it totally depends on if you like to tinker or not. if you hate tinkering, buy an ipad. if you love tinkering, android all the way.

I'm not android-savvy, and rooting/updating is pretty easy, in fact its so easy I know what to do and how to do it without knowing what it is I'm doing, if that makes sense.

It will be very interesting to see what Amazon does to counter the Nook Color. I'd almost suggest that they don't bother doing an lcd tablet and stick to improving on the basic kindle. Do you like the physical buttons? One of the main complaints about the nook was the touchscreen interface seems excessively laggy when mixed with first gen e-ink hardware.

maybe we need a tech discussion so we can keep this one to DwD...
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Finished the book this morning. I have mixed reviews for the whole thing, some chapters were great, and some were almost boring and tedious. I hope GRRM has his shit together now, and can get on with it!
A Thing of Eternity

I'm not quite at the halfway mark yet, loving it all. Definitely some boring stuff, but I'll trust it's all necessary set-up for later plot.

I doubt the last 2 books will be more than 2 years after the previous book, that's my hope anyways.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

OMG!!! I JUST FINISHED THIS BOOK, AND THE BUTLER TOTALLY DID IT!!!!!!!!

Goodnight Golden Path!