Kevin Speaks!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Nebiros

Kevin Speaks!

Post by Nebiros »

We may all laugh and discredit Writers of the Future for its links to Scientology and the fact that Kevin is a judge on it. But Keep in mind that Frank Herbert himself was once a judge on the contest and now I just learned that Kevin entered the contest in the 80's.

I'll let Kevin speak for himself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-F32phjXw
Lawliet

Re: Kevin Speaks!

Post by Lawliet »

Nebiros wrote:We may all laugh and discredit Writers of the Future for its links to Scientology and the fact that Kevin is a judge on it.
End of thread :lol:
That contest is embarrasing to the genre.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I thought KJA was the international man of mystery awards.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Holy Crap! Another award he hasn't won! And he's proud of it! It's his openning joke!
It just dawned on me that i've known people like him, pilots who are afraid to fly, mechanics who don't know how things work...managers...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Lawliet wrote:
Nebiros wrote:We may all laugh and discredit Writers of the Future for its links to Scientology and the fact that Kevin is a judge on it.
End of thread :lol:
That contest is embarrasing to the genre.
Apparently it didn't start out that way, back in the day they had seen fit to keep him out of the winners circle.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:I thought KJA was the international man of mystery awards.
AND Master(bator) of Universes!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It's not his opening joke, its his cleverer way of jabbing back at them: you never gave me the award now look where I am, don't you look foolish.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Watching this, I can understand why people think he's a nice guy. That opening little story was a bit trite, but it was entertaining, and he used a personal, self-deprecating story to get the point across - that the competition is as much about improving the writing of the contestants than about winning the prize.

(He then somewhat spoils it by listing all the awards that previous contest winners (but not he) have subsequently won, which undercuts that message, but what are you going to do? He's KJA. He loves his lists.)

For all our talk about his being socially retarded, I think he does know how to charm people in a controlled environment.

He's using a teleprompter, by the way.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Well we know he certainly doesn't hold anything other than himself and his ego as sacred.