Has to be a joke

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Sev

Has to be a joke

Post by Sev »

I don't believe this for a second - http://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Anderson-Sc ... 298&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - found a page on Amazon for a Kindle book called "Kevin J. Anderson, Scifi Star" by Tim Voigt. The hilarious product description is as follows:

Kevin J. Anderson would grow up in Wisconsin. He would learn about the film Star Wars and study physics. He would in later life write in science fiction defining a legendary career. In this book, we will explore his epic life.

This has to be an elaborate joke - surely :think:
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Tleszer

Re: Has to be a joke

Post by Tleszer »

The hell?
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

downloading the sample now to see.

Rob
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Rob, check it against public sources, like KJA's Wikipedia page. There have been a few start up publishers that do nothing but mine the internet for already published material off free sites (like Wikipedia). Because of the laws around publishing, they can print it and even sell it.

Alphascript, Betascript, Books LLC, and now it looks like Tom Voigt.

EDIT: according to a 1-star review from another book, it looks like its basically nothing more than a bunch of notes loosely tied together. Probably taken from a myriad of sources. Look and see if there is anything from Jacurutu!
Last edited by Ampoliros on 15 May 2011 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The sample mentions KJA very little.

Lots of discussion over the different types of science and part of the purpose is to explain the "science" of science fiction. It looks like the author wants to hold Keith up as some science fiction rockstar. I'm wondering of this is a paper Voigt has written, his "intro" has his name followed by University of Wisconsin.

At least in the sample there is no data mining og wiki sources that I could see.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

>> edit to add:
http://www.amazon.com/What-I-know-about ... gital-text" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

this "Tim Voigt" is not a real person, as far as I can tell ....

186 Kindle books, I think all of them released in the last few months ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 1305501796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I smell Calvin Woon InternetBuzz style auto-Kindle generating software here ...

Imma write reviews on as many of these as I can and call Timmy an effing retard &etc...
(hey, Conway, your bitch ass can follow me around and cry about me being "unfair" & "biased")
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

hey, so even tho now we know what the fuck this is, I still would like to use the discussion I started
there for this "product" to catalog and list out some of Keith's best lies, mis-representation, examples
of his retarded social skills, bloated ego, and etc. ... in other words "What I Know About Keith" ...
ImageImage

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Sev wrote: Kevin J. Anderson would grow up in Wisconsin. He would learn about the film Star Wars and study physics. He would in later life write in science fiction defining a legendary career. In this book, we will explore his epic life.
:lol:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Got access now? :D )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Most of Tom Voight's books seem to be of the "name, title of genre" variety, which makes it almost certain that it's cut and paste work surrounded by generic text with minor glue prose.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I lost even more respect for Amazon when I discovered they've been letting people pull this shit.

(M "Cult of Strawberry", whom some here may remember, was carrying on a private war against several of them at one point. Then Amazon started deleting her comments and reviews...)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Yeah, don't know what we can do to help M, she said Amazon still lets her review but she can't post comments anymore because someone got all butthurt at one of her more scathing (but always fair) reviews.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus