Happy Memorial Day

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Happy Memorial Day

Post by SandRider »

friends, in a little over a month, we will be passing the First Anniversary of a Tragic Moment
in all our lives .... the internet-suicide (and/or murder by Frank Walden, Atty) of
James Charwood, straight science fiction author;

I believe that it would be fitting for all of the Friends of Jimmy to visit again the Amazon page
of his one and only "published" book; I would suggest purchasing a copy in his honor, but the
"book" has been "out of print" and "unavailable" since the day of its publication;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059527 ... roduct_img" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Memorial Day, Jimmy, and where-ever you are, be assured that we of sietch Jacurutu
will never forget you, and will not rest until your lifeswork of countless blahgs and online IDs
are rescued from the evil clutches of Frank Walden, Atty, Norman, Oklahoma, who may or not
be you and may or may not have murdered/suicided you/youself ...

unless you have already been re-incarnated as a 4chan meme and/or Encyclopedia Dramatica article,
in which case: die in a fire, you sick pedofuck;
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Happy Memorial Day

Post by Omphalos »

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. We hardly knew ye, ya crazy, mixed-up fuck. Which is ironic, since you had all of our geographical locations down to at least a 100 mile radius.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I've gotta level with you guys... I am James Charwood.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

fan-tastic ....

you owe me $150 (USD, not that moose-money) for the webcam I sent Mandy,
aka "the Honey Trap" during the "Kingdom of Trolls" operation, which she never
sent back, BTW, or add me to her BuddyList on the vidchat, so I got nothing
out of it ...

however, if you did happen to cap any of those "conversations", and they were to show up
in my inbox at sandrider@jacurutu.com, in .mpeg format, please, I would probably be
persuaded to chalk the cash up to operational expenses ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

:tissue2: When he threatened me with police action from a department two cities away for accessing his publicly available blog I knew we'd found someone special. He's truly missed.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

:tissue2: :tissue2: :tissue2: This brings it all back, and just when I was starting to feel strong again!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

At least he had the sense to see what an asshat pickle fucker Kevin J. Anderson is and repudiated him and his cyberfellating fan club at KJASF.com.

I was not a friend of Hardwoody, and I found great pleasure in the taking of his water. Our sietch was made richer through the experience.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I hope you remembered not to add that stuff to the sietch cache. :puke:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The Jihad was one of those - like with Hypatia - that took place on many websites. It would be impossible to gather all that up. Especially with Harwood locking down all of his blogs.

But man, was that fun or what?

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, sure, it's all fun and games until someone coughs up their throat and commits Internet suicide. :snooty:

:lol:

You know, I still get search hits on HToD for your name, and for Ragaboo's and "prison"... :shock: :?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Omphalos wrote:The Jihad was one of those - like with Hypatia - that took place on many websites. It would be impossible to gather all that up. Especially with Harwood locking down all of his blogs.
I do believe a number of folks managed to archive some material;
and I am wondering if it might now be time, on this hallowed anniversary,
to possibly declassify some of the best bits of the "Kingdom of Trolls" thread,
and post here in the open ?
ImageImage

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

He'll be back one day. Oh yes. He will be back.

You've got to come back, James. It would be a work of art, and you are an artist. A straight artist, usually blue jeans casual, but an artist nevertheless. Your death scene in Frank Walden's office was a stroke of genius, but your masterpiece is not complete without the resurrection.

I don't think that a writer of your stature, a consummate showman such as yourself, can afford to pass up this opportunity. You will never forgive yourself if you go to your (actual) grave without concluding things.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

And let's face it, without Jimmy, we'd never have known what a threat The Tidwell really was. And is. To us all.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hunchback Jack wrote:And let's face it, without Jimmy, we'd never have known what a threat The Tidwell really was. And is. To us all.

HBJ
You're on "the list."

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:shock: :?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Hunchback Jack wrote::shock: :?

HBJ
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

As I'm sure you all know, Memorial Day (US Observed) is just around the corner.

Gettysburg - Premieres Monday, May 30 at 9/8c on The History Channel.
Ridley Scott and The History Channel to Develop American Civil War Documentary GETTYSBURG

For the 150th anniversary of America’s deadliest war, Ridley Scott and his brother Tony are teaming up with the History Channel to produce Gettysburg, a new feature documentary which reinvents how we look at the historic battle. In the four years of conflict between the Union and Confederate armies, over 600,000 American lives were lost. So it’s quite fitting that the Gettysburg is being described as “a visceral, terrifying experience.”

The Scott brothers plan to use re-enactment footage alongside CGI in order to tell the story of the soldiers on the ground. Gettysburg will be one part of a week-long theme event dedicated to the Civil War on The History Channel. This commemoration will be an annual event on the channel for the next four years. Hit the jump for more on the project, including what Ridley had to say, as well as what other programs The History Channel has in store for their Civil War-themed week.

In speaking with EW, Ridley Scott commented on Gettysburg thusly:

“History is the perfect partner for us to tell the epic true story of Gettysburg. We are excited to bring this battle to audiences in a powerful new way.”

Recently, The History Channel scrapped its plans to air an 8-part miniseries about the Kennedy family for a variety of reasons. The move to launch an annual theme-week about a formative historical event might be their way of nudging back on brand. The inclusion of the Scott brothers ensures that the entertainment value will not be lost.

Rest assured, The History Channel’s regular programming, like Pawn Stars and American Pickers will still air during the week. They will simply have a Civil War theme to them. I’m not sure if this will apply to MonsterQuest or Swamp People.

The History Channel will also feature more informative specials, such as Grant & Lee, highlighting the generals on either side of the war. Nancy Dubuc, president and general manager of History, considers this week-long event to be part of a larger national education campaign.

Look for Civil War week to air on The History Channel sometime in early April. Here’s the press release:

HISTORY® TO HONOR AND COMMEMMORATE

150TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CIVIL WAR

FOUR YEAR COMMITMENT ACROSS ALL PLATFORMS INCLUDING

NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL INITIATIVE

WEEKLONG PROGRAMMING EVENT

CIVIL WAR

KICKS OFF THIS SPRING WITH

TWO-HOUR FEATURE DOCUMENTARY SPECIAL

EXEC PRODUCED BY TONY AND RIDLEY SCOTT

GETTYSBURG

New York, NY – February 9, 2011 – HISTORY® is set to launch a four-year initiative to both honor and commemorate the Civil War, which marks its 150th anniversary in 2011, starting with a weeklong programming event, fully integrated across all platforms, it was announced today by Nancy Dubuc, President and General Manager, HISTORY. HISTORY will launch a national educational campaign tied to the Civil War which will serve educational institutions for generations to come. A two-hour feature documentary has begun production, Gettysburg, to be Executive Produced by the Scott brothers, Tony (Unstoppable; Man on Fire; Top Gun) and Ridley (Gladiator; Black Hawk Down; American Gangster).

“The Civil War is arguably one of the most critical events in our nation’s history, and one to which HISTORY has been dedicated since our inception. Our four-year commitment to the Civil War, highlighting the 150th anniversary and the key battles and people who fought during that conflict, underscore our deep devotion to the genre – it is a pledge we are making to our country, to our viewers and to every school in America,” said Ms. Dubuc. “To kick off this epic programming event, I can think of no better and more amazing, awe inspiring story-tellers than Tony and Ridley Scott. They will bring the raw courage of all who fought in Gettysburg to light.”

Gettysburg will strip away the romanticized veneer of the Civil War and present the engagement in a new light: a visceral, terrifying experience with everything on the line. At its core, this is the story of the soliders on the ground, not the generals who commanded from behind the frontlines. Compelling CGI and powerful action footage place viewers in the midst of the fighting, delivering both an emotional cinematic experience and an information packed look at the turning points, technology, and little known facts of perhaps America’s greatest battle.

Gettysburg will launch a week long programming event on HISTORY, including special Civil War themed episodes of Pawn Stars, American Pickers and other specials throughout the week, details of which to be unveiled over the coming months. As well, the network will also premiere a two-hour special, Lee & Grant.

Produced with the cooperation of leading Civil War historian Winston Groom, author of Forrest Gump, Lee & Grant is a personal look at two iconic leaders of the Civil War. Surprising details reveal the bold choices and almost godlike power Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee summoned on decisive battlefields like Vicksburg and Gettysburg that, within days of each other, turned the tide of the war. As part of HISTORY’s Civil War Week, this special features a unique perspective, exploring how these men changed the course of American history.

National advertisers Bank of America, Ram, and GEICO have signed on to sponsor the week-long event.

Gettysburg is being produced for HISTORY by executive producers Tony and Ridley Scott as well as Mary Lisio; Showrunner is Ben Fox. Director is Adrian Moat; Writer is Richard Bedser; Graphics produced by Stargate Studios; HISTORY Executive Producers are David McKillop, Mary Donahue and Julian P. Hobbs.
http://collider.com/ridley-scott-histor ... urg/75412/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg ... gettysburg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well, that's just stupid as all fuck ... "kick off" the sesquicentennial with a battle that occurred in July of '63 ?
I dunno, just seems like the place for a "kick off" would be First Manassas .. but, whadda I know, I've only
devoted the majority of my life to the study of The War .... sure glad Pawn Stars and Ice Road Lumberjacks
will still be aired, tho ... that shit's important ......

and anyway, Freak, this thread is not about Memorial Day, it is about how we collectively mind-fucked
a shitheel and drove him clean off the internet ...

(I'm not against the movie, of course, I've been waiting for the good CGI for awhile now ... not too sure that
Ridley Scott is the man to pull it off ... of course, I ain't go no TeeVee no more, so I'll have to wait ten or 12
hours and download it from the pirate bay ...)
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Have we decided whether we're doing a prayer vigil or a spice orgy to commemorate James Hardwoody, STRAIGHT male American science-fiction writer?

You know which way I'm voting! (Even when they haven't been testing HAARP!) :dance: :liar:
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I don't see why we can't do both.
BTW, I thought the Spice Orgy was a Prayer Vigil.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

D Pope wrote:I don't see why we can't do both.
BTW, I thought the Spice Orgy was a Prayer Vigil.
We should probably start a spreadsheet so we can sign up to make sure that we have someone praying around the clock that day and maybe even the day (week?) leading up to it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

If you're doin' the orgy right, you can't help but pray.

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Kingdom of the Trolls
vs.
Dune Prequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Blog Article
by James C. Harwood
Science Fiction Author
Norman Oklahoma USA
Wednesday 24 March 2010

This posting is in defense of Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, and their DUNE novels, against the viscous attacks by psychotic trolls on a terroristic jihad.

"DUNE 9: Trolls of Dune" - Imagine the possibility!

Troll defined at Urban Dictionary [Click Here].
Troll article at Wiki [Click Here].

I first read DUNE by Frank Herbert in 1968 when I was age 12, soon after my father died at age 50. When I got to the part about Paul's father being killed, I was hooked on it. Over the years, I read the following five DUNE sequels by Frank Herbert.

I was delighted when I found out about Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, writing DUNE prequels with Kevin J. Anderson, although I was not previously familiar with either of them or any of their work. I first read The Butlerian Jihad, then The Machine Wars, and then The Battle of Corrin. After those, I read House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino. I later read Paul of Dune before finally reading the final DUNE sequels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, titled Hunters of DUNE, and Sandworms of DUNE. I liked their prequels a lot more than I liked their sequels. Overall, I got my money's worth for the entertainment provided.

I'm a DUNE fan, not a fanatic. There is a difference. It is like the difference between being someone who simply likes Star Trek and someone who is a devout Trekki. The greatest influence on me and my life was that reading DUNE by Frank Herbert partly influenced and inspired me to eventually write science fiction. I was also influenced and inspired by Robert A. Heinlein, Spider Robinson, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Trolls are fanatics on the Internet who are usually found in forums, flaming other members of those forums unless it is their own private forum created by trolls. They usually attack for the love of the attack, not because they actually believe in the side they have taken against the others. Recently, I discovered trolls have found a new playground: Twitter.

I few weeks ago, I started thinking that the DUNE prequels would make an excellent TV series, not a movie or miniseries. However, each TV "season" of about 4 months would cover one novel, so that the first trilogy and second trilogy would be completed in 2 years. Therefore, it would be a limited run series, but more than a miniseries. Within Twitter limits, I posted the basic idea at Twitter by using the "#Dune" to seek out other DUNE fans.

Immediately, I was attacked by a troll living in Japan, who referred to DUNE prequels as being "crap" and singled out Kevin J. Anderson for further flaming. He referred to "#McDune" as another Twitter group which I was not familiar with, so I went to that group to find out what it is about. The "McDune" term is one created by the trolls to refer to the DUNE prequels they hate as well as anything written by Kevin J. Anderson. Of course it is intended to be offensive. That troll was then backed up by another troll claiming to be the ghost of Frank Herbert, strongly opposed to the DUNE prequels and especially Kevin J. Anderson. It appears the trolls are in denial of the fact that Brian Herbert is co-author. They are unwilling to acknowledge that the son of Frank Herbert participated in the writing of the DUNE prequels. They are further unwilling to acknowledge the fact that the DUNE prequels and sequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson are based on notes and outlines written by Frank Herbert. Brian and Kevin "fleshed out" what Frank had already written. By condemning the work of Kevin J. Anderson, the trolls also condemn the work of Brian Herbert and his father Frank Herbert.

Before the attack on me at Twitter, I had no idea there are people out there who do not like the DUNE novels by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Such a possibility never occurred to me. The discovery of the trolls really surprised me, as well as mystified me. I still don't know exactly what it is they are so upset about, and why it matters so much to them. They act like it is as serious as such issues as abortion, capitalism vs. communism or socialism, and the big health care conflict today, as a few examples.

The trolls have their own private forum, which one of them referred me to. I did not find any answers there to my questions about specifically what the trolls don't like about the DUNE novels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. I asked for a list of complaints and they refused to cooperate. They are unable or unwilling to say exactly why they hate the books, and one of the authors instead of both. However, one other person, who participated in the conflict, claimed there are "contradictions" between what Frank Herbert wrote, and what was written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson in the DUNE prequels. I asked for an example of one of the "contradictions" and he did not answer. Later, a different person answered for him and remarked about the birthplace of Paul. I reviewed that. It is not a "contradiction" that would be classified as a mistake on the part of the authors, but is a satisfactorily explained historical difference. The story of DUNE is told by the Princes Irulan, who was limited to her viewpoint and what she knew of past events. Actual history reveals secrets within secrets, when presented by others who know the truth. In real life, children in school are taught a limited view of certain people in history, and later learn the greater truth during college or later years as adults. So as we dig deeper into history, new facts may appear to "contradict" what was previously believed.

I also posted my idea about a DUNE TV series at this blog, and noted the URL at Twitter. It of course attracted the Trolls. I use StatCounter to track visitors to this blog. From those reports, I confirmed one of the two primary trolls lives in Japan, and then found out that the other one lives in Denmark. I found out other trolls live in Portugal, Brazil, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Sweden, Netherlands, Greece, Chile, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Belgium, and Poland. Only 39% live in the US [those are narrowed down to states and cities]. Only 30% live in the UK. With 1% in Australia, that is a total of 70% who live where English is the primary language. So 30% live where some other language is the primary language. I know those visitors are the trolls because of the "referring link" being their forum website.

Jim Jankus, a cousin living in Kansas City, briefly participated on my side during the attack by the trolls. He convinced me to leave the matter alone. I did, but then the trolls, who first attacked me at my professional Twitter account, then found my personal Twitter account and began to attack me there. Each time a new troll shows up, I simply use the "Block" option to no longer get messages they send to me. At least one has tried to send a virus from a link in an attempt to destroy my computer, and so that crosses a certain legal line. I strongly believe in Freedom of Speech, and I'm opposed to unreasonable censorship, but the trolls are not simply expressing opinions they are entitled to. There is a huge difference between expressing a difference of opinion in a professional way, and flaming someone in a personal way. I can give as good as I get, so it isn't causing me to miss any sleep. Trolls are cowards. They would not dare speak like that to my face. I would cut their balls off and then make the trolls eat their own balls, except that the trolls don't have any balls in the first place. It is obvious that most trolls on the Internet are suffering from severe emotional and mental illness. They are teens and adults who are grossly immature. They have nothing better to do in life than to hate everything and flame everyone. The Kingdom of the Trolls is a very dark place in their own self-designed hell. It has been a classic battle between good and evil, with the trolls being on the side of willful evil, and the good being those who are fans of DUNE prequels and their authors. The trolls will fail with their terroristic jihad.

I am grateful to Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson for the excellent entertainment in their DUNE novels for such a reasonable price.

POSTED BY JAMES C. HARWOOD AT 3/24/2010 07:54:00 AM 0 COMMENTS
LABELS: BRIAN HERBERT, DUNE, KEVIN J. ANDERSON, SCIENCE FICTION
ImageImage

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

And so begins our official observance of Memorial Day.

I'm forever grateful to the dearly departed straight-white-male-science-fiction-author for showing the flexibility of Blogger/Twitter/Facebook. Also the goldmine that is a monetized blog.

I'm going to meditate on the post that started it all and celebrate James C. Harwood's life and try not to focus too much on his tragic death.

If anyone is new here and doesn't know what I'm talking about, Jim was a guy we knew who died from some made up throat thing.
Last edited by Nekhrun on 16 May 2011 07:51, edited 1 time in total.