Carne Adovada

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Carne Adovada

Post by Robspierre »

The food of the gods, like Green Chili Stew and enchiladas served flat with an egg on top, Carne Adovada is a dish that is part of the heart and soul of New Mexico. It is not a dish that one simply whips up. It is crafted, with care, and the pureness of the ingredients are allowed to meld into a dish that is pure ambrosia.

I start with soaking the red chili pods to soften them. You can purchase pureed red chili but this is how the grandmothers who taught me and it is how roll.

I've been able to start to remove the stems and you can see the seeds starting to come free of the pods and drift in the water.
Last edited by Robspierre on 22 Mar 2011 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Carne Adovade

Post by Omphalos »

My favorite Mexican dish. This is what I order in every new place I go to first.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Continued...

Here I have some pork loin, onion, and garlic. Red sauce is very basic, which brings out the richness of flavor of the red chili selected.

Here I have sliced the pork into smaller cubes. I put the cubed pork in the crock pot because that is what I will add my red sauce to and allow to marinate over night.

Garlic and onion chopped, don't need to finesse it, it will all be going into the blender.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Continued....

You can see the chili pods have stained the water red and the seeds are floating like crazy. At this point the pods are soft and ready to go into the blender with other ingredients.

Chili pods, garlic, onion, sea salt and the liquid the pods were soaking in all tossed into the blender. You want to grind/blend as much as possible to get ready for the next step.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Continued....

I pour the sauce through a strainer using a whisk to work out as much liquid as possible. I then add the bits that are left back into the blender and toss in the last bunch of ingredients to be be blended.

When I have enough sauce to cover the pork I toss the lid on it and into the refrigerator it goes to soak up all that chili goodness.

I still have sauce left and I strain it into a separate container. This sauce will get a roux added to it and will be added to the carne adovada as it cooks.

Tomorrow around 11 the crockpot will be turned on low and six hours later the carne adovada will be ready to be consumed.

To Be Continued...
merkin muffley

Re: Carne Adovada

Post by merkin muffley »

I'm hungry.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I'm going to have pics of the finished product too :FH small: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Rob
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

7 hours in the crock pot, meat so tender it falls apart at the touch, refried beens with roasted green chili, spanish rice, sharp cheddar cheese, and flour tortillas.

Rob
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Rob, my man!! That looks most FINE.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Easy cheat for good spanish rice.

Get a box of Zataran's Spanish Rice, 1 can sweet corn, 1 can Ro-Tel Tomatoes( tomatoes with jalapenos)

Follow the instructions on the box and add the corn and tomatoes. Always a winner.

Rob