Movies you have watched recently

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SadisticCynic

Re: Movies you have watched recently

Post by SadisticCynic »

I loved it.

I remember thinking the use of colour was pretty great.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Naib

Post by Naib »

Deadpool 2. Like the first, it's a lot of fun.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Pleasantly surprised by The Foreigner. It turns out Jackie Chan can act.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Finally got around to seeing Aquaman. What a load of shite. I don't really know anything about the character but this film does not make me interested. The dialogue is beyond drivel and the plot was shockingly trite. In a word, awful.

It did strike me though that Aquaman apparently has Holtzman shield skin. Bullets and missiles bounce off him, but a tattoo needle or knife work normally. I bet a fish hook would be murderous.

All it has really confirmed for me is that Momoa is a crap actor and will bring the quality of Villeneuve's Dune down by an order of magnitude.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Aquaman had pretty colors but yeah, it was bad.
(Check out Flashpoint Paradox for a better depiction)

I've seen some Deadpool 2 and I am a sucker for R. Reynolds, he just makes everything so fun.

Haven't seen it yet but Blade Runner 2049 is coming to Netflix so I guess it's time to check it out, if only to get a Villeneuve feel (I've see the original BR more times than I can count)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

lotek wrote:Aquaman had pretty colors but yeah, it was bad.

I've seen some Deadpool 2 and I am a sucker for R. Reynolds, he just makes everything so fun.

Haven't seen it yet but Blade Runner 2049 is coming to Netflix so I guess it's time to check it out, if only to get a Villeneuve feel (I've see the original BR more times than I can count)
Yeah, I'm in Canada and I think it arrives on Netflix tonight. Been looking forward to it for a while.
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

WolfgangMercury wrote:
lotek wrote:Aquaman had pretty colors but yeah, it was bad.

Yeah, I'm in Canada and I think it arrives on Netflix tonight. Been looking forward to it for a while.
It's already on Netflix where I am (Central Europe) and I rewatched both it and BR The Final Cut recently. But reading these comments makes me want to watch them again. BR2049 is probably my favourite movie right now.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm about to cancel Netflix for various reasons, but I've been binging. Dave Chappelle's new stand up made me rotflmao. I also watched the Dark Crystal prequel series, I like that too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:I'm about to cancel Netflix for various reasons, but I've been binging. Dave Chappelle's new stand up made me rotflmao. I also watched the Dark Crystal prequel series, I like that too.
There's a Netflix movie on there called 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs", which is an anthology by the Cohen brothers about the the old American West. I watched it last night and it's really good. You might try it before you cancel. (Or just cancel anyway and download it :wink: )
Naib

Post by Naib »

6 Underground. The film has potential and some decent action but was in desperate need of a good script and film editor. If Netflix wants to make really good films they need to have someone in charge of these producers and directors telling them when they are going round the bend and not just throw money at big names just to get them to work for them.
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

Naib wrote:6 Underground. The film has potential and some decent action but was in desperate need of a good script and film editor. If Netflix wants to make really good films they need to have someone in charge of these producers and directors telling them when they are going round the bend and not just throw money at big names just to get them to work for them.
Hmm..I was wondering whether or not to give this a go - Netflix keeps waving it under my nose every time I log in.
Looks like maybe they did a big hype-push on that one. Think I'll give it a miss.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Watched "The Irishman". It is vastly overrated.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Naib

Post by Naib »

Serkanner wrote:Watched "The Irishman". It is vastly overrated.
Agreed. This is the best review you can offer.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SadisticCynic wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I'm about to cancel Netflix for various reasons, but I've been binging. Dave Chappelle's new stand up made me rotflmao. I also watched the Dark Crystal prequel series, I like that too.
There's a Netflix movie on there called 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs", which is an anthology by the Cohen brothers about the the old American West. I watched it last night and it's really good. You might try it before you cancel. (Or just cancel anyway and download it :wink: )
Somehow my account got magically uncancelled :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

This isn't about movies specifically, but I've had Netflix for a while, and my wife is trying out Amazon Prime for a free trial. And we've been trying to watch the original TV series they have on those, which are starting to be like long-form films, which I tend to like. Has anyone else noticed that the quality of these shows tend to be very similar - dull, flat, and boring? Not even aggressively annoying or bad, just boring. We sit there yawning for 10 minutes and then quit, although since we can only bear that once a day we go back to watch something we know is good after that kind of incident.

I think I've so far found one single 'online show' that's been actually good (Stranger Things). Blah. We still have several on Prime to try but I'm not optimistic.
Last edited by georgiedenbro on 21 Jan 2020 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro wrote:This isn't about movies specifically, but I've had Netflix for a while, and my wife is trying out Amazon Prime for a free trial. And we've been trying to watch the original TV series they have on those, which are starting to be like long-form films, which I tend to like. Has anyone else notices that the quality of these shows tend to be very similar - dull, flat, and boring? Not even aggressively annoying or bad, just boring. We sit there yawning for 10 minutes and then quit, although since we can only bear that once a day we go back to watch something we know is good after that kind of incident.

I think I've so far found one single 'online show' that's been actually good (Stranger Things). Blah. We still have several on Prime to try but I'm not optimistic.
I feel much the same way. I have netflix and prime and there have been very few of their original offerings that I've managed to finish. From either service.

I think it comes from the fact that there are no constraints on their running times. They allow things that ordinary television (depending on where you are) would allow. Most are overlong and meander all over the place and never really get to the point soon enough to get your interest. And even if it gets your interest they can't seem to keep it for long. Case in point, The Irishman.

Or maybe it's just that what is being shown just isn't for me. In either case I'm giving serious thought to dumping both services.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I had heard good things about Man in the High Castle, for example. Interesting premise, and the cast looked decent to me. We're watching this alternate timeline thing which ought to be super-interesting and it was deathly boring for the first 20 minutes. We couldn't get any further. I don't even know if the issue is running time or what; it's just vanilla writing and boring directing. I guess I don't have a problem with the actors exactly, but the whole product feels like you're doped out on novocaine and can't feel much of anything. That's just one example, but it was a vexxing one because it's a show I had actually heard of and one for which there's no excuse for it to boring. Lousy, sure; but boring? Come on.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked the first couple seasons of MitHC but I didn't like the most recent series that much. It's still entertaining if you care about the characters, I guess.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Just finish Uncut Gems. What a travesty of a film. A meandering mess that's at least 40 minutes too long. I knew exactly what the outcome of the film was going to be in the first 15 minutes so I should have just stopped it there and saved myself the bother. Only watch this if you are into torturing yourself for pleasure.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

JOKER. An excellent depiction of a decline in to psychosis.