Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Image
    Non-dune discussion

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Freakzilla » 21 Dec 2015 08:31

inhuien wrote:Just started childhoods end.


Ooh.. Clarke! I haven't read that one either, I might join you.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 21 Dec 2015 13:28

inhuien wrote:Just started childhoods end.


i watched it after the third installment aired. I really liked it.

I have been watching a few other shows lately I liked. All of them were on Hulu.

I watched a show called This Is Not My Life, from NZ. Its about a city where rich people paid to have the lives they really wanted, and poor people and criminals were forced to "clean up their messes." Everyone was brainwashed so nobody knew the truth. A bit rough around the edges, but not many episodes so I watched it through.

I also watched something called The Booth At The End. It was pretty good. There is a mysterious man who sits in a booth in a restaurant, and people come to tell him what they really want in life. He gives them a task to do, and their wishes come true. some of the tasks were horrible, some were beautiful. the catch was that everyone had to come back to the diner to tell the Man how things were going as they completed their tasks. In the first season he set people against each other. In the second the people figured out how to make good experiences come out of what could have been really bad ones. It was 100% filmed in the diner; no real action, but it was really well written and I could not stop watching it. There were only 10-22 minute episodes over two seasons, so it went quickly.

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby inhuien » 21 Dec 2015 16:05

Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:Just started childhoods end.


Ooh.. Clarke! I haven't read that one either, I might join you.

The programme not the book, silly! :P
Image

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Freakzilla » 22 Dec 2015 07:43

inhuien wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:Just started childhoods end.


Ooh.. Clarke! I haven't read that one either, I might join you.

The programme not the book, silly! :P


That must have been before my coffee... where am I? :roll:
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
inhuien
Posts: 3629
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
Location: right here as in not (all) there

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby inhuien » 20 Feb 2016 04:23

Haven't watched it yet, but I see vrp one of Kings 11.22.63s out.
Image

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Ampoliros » 20 Feb 2016 12:57

Not a TV show, but a short fan-film made in Iain Banks' Culture universe:

https://vimeo.com/11193432
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Serkanner » 20 Feb 2016 16:14

Ampoliros wrote:Not a TV show, but a short fan-film made in Iain Banks' Culture universe:

https://vimeo.com/11193432


That was well done! I hope one day a movie will be made of one of Banks' books.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Ampoliros » 20 Feb 2016 23:00

Serkanner wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Not a TV show, but a short fan-film made in Iain Banks' Culture universe:

https://vimeo.com/11193432


That was well done! I hope one day a movie will be made of one of Banks' books.


oh God I hope not!

well, I should say, if the guy who made that short film was doing it, I'd be all for it.

But Hollywood doing the Culture? That's a joke thread waiting to happen.

i.e.: The Player of Games would get turned into some kind of alien Ocean's 11 where George Clooney pulls off a massive heist.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Serkanner » 21 Feb 2016 07:12

Ampoliros wrote:
Serkanner wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:Not a TV show, but a short fan-film made in Iain Banks' Culture universe:

https://vimeo.com/11193432


That was well done! I hope one day a movie will be made of one of Banks' books.


oh God I hope not!

well, I should say, if the guy who made that short film was doing it, I'd be all for it.

But Hollywood doing the Culture? That's a joke thread waiting to happen.

i.e.: The Player of Games would get turned into some kind of alien Ocean's 11 where George Clooney pulls off a massive heist.


I didn't say Hollywood should make it.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Freakzilla » 22 Feb 2016 06:56

I took the kids to the bookstore this weekend and I got a paperback copy of Clarke's Childhood's End and noticed on the back that it was made into a mini-series. Has anyone seen it, any good?
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 22 Feb 2016 14:02

I would personally prefer to see a much more muscular version of the Culture in a feature film. :lol:

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 22 Feb 2016 14:02

Freakzilla wrote:I took the kids to the bookstore this weekend and I got a paperback copy of Clarke's Childhood's End and noticed on the back that it was made into a mini-series. Has anyone seen it, any good?


I have. One of the better SyFy productions, IMHO. Worth a watch for certain.

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2028
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby SadisticCynic » 22 Feb 2016 17:59

Been keeping up with Marvel by watching Agent Carter. I think this season is a little better than the first.

But I also started watching Sherlock a few weeks ago. Just finished season 2 tonight. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2160
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Robspierre » 22 Feb 2016 23:00

JEM and the Holograms 1980's version
Flash Gordon Animated Series
Complete Sabrina the Teenage Witch Cartoon


Rob

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby lotek » 23 Feb 2016 05:46

Hannibal.
A bit far out sometimes but I like their Lecter.
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 23 Feb 2016 12:11

SadisticCynic wrote:Been keeping up with Marvel by watching Agent Carter. I think this season is a little better than the first.

But I also started watching Sherlock a few weeks ago. Just finished season 2 tonight. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.


Both of these are on my list.

lotek wrote:Hannibal.
A bit far out sometimes but I like their Lecter.


I watched the first season of this show. I loved the atmosphere. usually such grandiosity is a turnoff for me, but I thought the tableaus were fascinating, and the characters were really well played by the actors. One of these days Ill go back to see where they wound up.

Also on my list is to catch up on Bates Motel. I also am curious about season 2 of Fargo. I thought the first season was really great. Better than the movie even, which I loved as well. I also want to watch season 2 of Better Call Saul, once it airs completely and is posted on iTunes where I can binge-watch it.

User avatar
lotek
Posts: 5735
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 08:33

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby lotek » 23 Feb 2016 12:49

Yeah the esthetics are one of a kind for Hannibal, and some of the philosophical chats are quite deep while avoiding the preachiness of belaboring, letting you guess and read between the lines (sounds familiar? ^^)

Sherlock is awesome, finally someone worthy of Jeremy Brett!
Image

And Better Call Saul, just like others, is on the waiting list for the same reason as you lol
Last edited by lotek on 24 Feb 2016 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Spice is the worm's gonads.

User avatar
Naib
Posts: 281
Joined: 30 Jan 2014 15:54

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Naib » 23 Feb 2016 15:58

Ampoliros wrote:Not a TV show, but a short fan-film made in Iain Banks' Culture universe:

https://vimeo.com/11193432


Finally got around to watching this. They captured the tone of The Culture brilliantly. I think the BBC could probably do a decent Culture series.

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2028
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby SadisticCynic » 24 Mar 2016 17:18

Started watching Daredevil season 2, of course. Seems as good as the first so far, but I'm only a few episodes in.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 28 Mar 2016 15:21

SadisticCynic wrote:Started watching Daredevil season 2, of course. Seems as good as the first so far, but I'm only a few episodes in.


My wife and I just finished it. It was good. Looking forward to the Luke Cage show that will come out soon.

User avatar
Serkanner
Posts: 2830
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Serkanner » 29 Mar 2016 17:37

... I am watching Lucifer, a guilty pleasure ... because of the English accent of Tom Ellis and because I have fallen in love with Lauren German ... sorry, :oops:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."

User avatar
SadisticCynic
Posts: 2028
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 09:28
Location: In Time or in Space?

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby SadisticCynic » 29 Mar 2016 19:27

Omphalos wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:Started watching Daredevil season 2, of course. Seems as good as the first so far, but I'm only a few episodes in.


My wife and I just finished it. It was good. Looking forward to the Luke Cage show that will come out soon.


I'm looking forward to that too. Kinda hoping they'll tackle race issues in the same full frontal way they did women's issues in JJ.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity

User avatar
Robspierre
Posts: 2160
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
Location: Cascadia

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Robspierre » 29 Mar 2016 21:28

Serkanner wrote:... I am watching Lucifer, a guilty pleasure ... because of the English accent of Tom Ellis and because I have fallen in love with Lauren German ... sorry, :oops:



Lucifer is a lot of fun, I'm also enjoying Supergirl a lot.

Rob

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6630
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Omphalos » 31 Mar 2016 17:09

Robspierre wrote:
Serkanner wrote:... I am watching Lucifer, a guilty pleasure ... because of the English accent of Tom Ellis and because I have fallen in love with Lauren German ... sorry, :oops:



Lucifer is a lot of fun, I'm also enjoying Supergirl a lot.

Rob


Havent watched Supergirl yet. Gave up on the HIGHLY repetitive Green Arrow and Flash shows a while back.

My daughter and I watched GLee all the way through recently. Supergirl was a late replacement in Glee. Just cannot see her as Supergirl.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18163
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Postby Freakzilla » 01 Apr 2016 07:58

I'm guilty of watching Supergirl just because she's cute.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman


Return to “˲”