Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Hunchback Jack

Re: Television Shows you are watching on TV or DVD now.

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I use iTunes only as a way to get stuff to my iDevices. My media doesn't "live" in the iTunes Library. For anything that gets imported into the library automatically, I use iRip to get it off my devices again, and store it elsewhere.

I like Apple products, and don't mind using Apple software to manage them. But they don't hold my media.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I use iTunes only as a way to get stuff to my iDevices. My media doesn't "live" in the iTunes Library. For anything that gets imported into the library automatically, I use iRip to get it off my devices again, and store it elsewhere.

I like Apple products, and don't mind using Apple software to manage them. But they don't hold my media.

HBJ
Not sure what you mean by all this HBJ. I use iTunes to play and hold all my media. But the albums, movies, books, etc are all on an accessory hard drive. Is that how you do it?

Looking for a better way to handle all this stuff. I got a lot of shit that's difficult to handle.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omph you could burn copies to disk, but they degrade rather quickly timewise. I use a 3TB external for my itunes stuff that I do not not keep in the cloud.

Rob
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Omph, what I mean is that all my media lives in its own folder, outside the "Music/iTunes/iTunes Media" folder or wherever it is. When I import, I don't have iTunes copy the stuff into its own Library folder or "organize my music" or whatever.

Essentially, I keep all my mp3's, flac's, mpg's, mkv's etc in its own folder, tagged with standard tags by non-Apple software, etc. I use iTunes to send it to my iDevices, but I always have independent access to it elsewhere using other tools. I un-DRM anything I buy through the iTunes store, too.

I realize iTunes stores things in more-or-less standard formats, so I could always find it inside the Library folder, but I don't like to do that.

Oh, and I don't "sync". I manually manage content on the devices. So my media can be organized on my disk any way I like, I can import or remove it from iTunes as I like regardless of what's on my iPhone, iPod, whatever.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't feel "locked in" by Apple by using iDevices, because the stuff I care about - the media - is completely independent from iTunes. I just use iTunes as a delivery mechanism for the stuff I want to move to the device that day. Not as the focal point of all my media.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

So... if you didn't have iTunes, where would one go to get music?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

I don't download anymore, I stream directly from youtube and soundcloud.
Unlimited data on my phone contract turns my mobile into an internet jukebox.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:I don't download anymore, I stream directly from youtube and soundcloud.
Unlimited data on my phone contract turns my mobile into an internet jukebox.
I guess I could listen to Pandora on my phone, or something like that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Am I the only one who still buys physical albums? :oops:

I like having them. I'm at about the 70 mark now, so a decent enough collection. I still have loads of things on my list though.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Most of the ones (CDs) I have are old and scratched.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

SadisticCynic wrote:Am I the only one who still buys physical albums? :oops:

I like having them. I'm at about the 70 mark now, so a decent enough collection. I still have loads of things on my list though.
When I have the money I like to get the CDs (and DVDs for for the movies)

Especially for DVDs I like the ones who have the extra features i.e. commentaries and deleted scenes/gag scenes.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SadisticCynic wrote:Am I the only one who still buys physical albums? :oops:

I don't record anymore, but used to live in second hand record shops. The last LP I bought was an early copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band , and I tell you it looked as if some one had mixed plaster on it. Chap in the shop wanted £15 I gave him a fiver. Took it home cleaned it up by carefully running water over it let it dry and repeat, sure it looks a bit beat up but he grooves on 60s pressing are just so deep it plays like velvet.
Virgin Vinyl FTW.

Don't buy records any more, but got a few hundred in storage, hall press.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:I don't record anymore, but used to live in second hand record shops.
Same here. I used to have dozens of milk crates full of LPs. Sold them all to the shops I bought them from and at yard sales. Now I miss them. I just miss having a wall of records to look at.

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:
inhuien wrote:I don't record anymore, but used to live in second hand record shops.
Same here. I used to have dozens of milk crates full of LPs. Sold them all to the shops I bought them from and at yard sales. Now I miss them. I just miss having a wall of records to look at.
Yeah I sold a few for beer tokens, but managed to keep the best.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I miss the cover art.

~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Howard Goodall's Story of Music, ep. 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Invention/
Iplayer wrote:In the second programme, composer Howard Goodall looks at the extraordinarily fertile musical period between 1650 and 1750, in which many of the musical innovations we take for granted today were invented. The orchestra; the overture, which led, ultimately, to the symphony; satisfying chord sequences, which gave music a forward momentum; modern tuning, which, for the first time, allowed composers to move from one key to any other they chose, and for different instruments to easily play together; the concerto, the oratorio, and, not least, the piano.
Sorry if you can't see it but you've all you need to find it.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Drawn Together The Complete Series Uncensored and Uncut

Rob
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

inhuien wrote:Howard Goodall's Story of Music, ep. 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Invention/
Iplayer wrote:In the second programme, composer Howard Goodall looks at the extraordinarily fertile musical period between 1650 and 1750, in which many of the musical innovations we take for granted today were invented. The orchestra; the overture, which led, ultimately, to the symphony; satisfying chord sequences, which gave music a forward momentum; modern tuning, which, for the first time, allowed composers to move from one key to any other they chose, and for different instruments to easily play together; the concerto, the oratorio, and, not least, the piano.
Sorry if you can't see it but you've all you need to find it.
That was quite interesting - not a subject I really knew anything about.

Although the highlight for me was his twisty-turny (and, I think, occasionally digitally extended) projector-screen set... :)

(Have I missed the point of life?)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

That was very interesting, thanks inhuien.

Although the presenter needs to lose the physics envy methinks. :wink:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

The Americans on FX. Set during Reagan's administration during the Cold War. Keri Russell is still yummy. Oh, and the show is good too.

Rob
trang

Post by trang »

Currently

Sliders(streaming)
The Walking Dead (torrent)
Arrow (TV)
TBBT (TV)
Parks and Rec (TV)
Community (TV)
Sparatacus - War of the Dammed (Torrent)
The Fall Guy (Torrent)
Vikings (Torrent)

Just finished:
Alphas (streaming)
Dresden Files(Streaming)

Waiting for shortly:
Breaking Bad Final Episodes
Falling Skies Season 3
Revolution Second half
Game of Thrones Season 3
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:The Americans on FX. Set during Reagan's administration during the Cold War. Keri Russell is still yummy. Oh, and the show is good too.

Rob
I'm digging that show too. I see a lot ofmy hometown in it (WDC).

Also been watching TWD, Justified, and just finished House of Cards. Started Vikings and The Bible today.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I've been watching the original House of Cards (the BBC series starring Ian Richardson). A bit dated, and not very subtle, but still good entertainment.

Also been watching old Life on Earth episodes, hosted by not-yet-Sir David Attenborough, from 1979. Fascinating, intelligent discussion with some great photography for the time. The Blu rays are mastered from film, so it looks pretty spectacular given its age.

Also waiting for the final Breaking Bad episodes. I hope they find a way to end it well.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I've been watching the original House of Cards (the BBC series starring Ian Richardson). A bit dated, and not very subtle, but still good entertainment.
I could not get more than fifteen minutes into it. all of that fourth-wall breaking makes me think that version was made for idiots. Felt like I was being talked down to.

Forgot to mention that I am going back and catching up on the first two seasons of The Killing (AMC version). Not bad. However, I work with a bunch of investigators, many of them ex FBI and ex cop. Not a one of them varies from the "Occam's Razor" version of reality. The cops in that show seem to enjoy looking for the most complicated explanation of things. Not very realistic, IMHO, though the rest of the show is great, and I LOVE the HD scenes of Seattle, my next home town (as soon as I am done with this one).

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Omph, yes it's a bit too obvious that way, but it does settle down a bit in later episodes.

It's a bit of a product of its time, though, when witty, protracted exposition about the inner workings of British politics was all the rage (cf. Yes Minister).

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks